ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

explaining dietary bibek to people who are not Sikh

Posted by 1kaur 
waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

how do you explain dietary bibek to your non-sikh friends? my parents are not sikh. i've only been following bibek for about a year now, and i've been avoiding visiting them during that time for one reason. i don't know how to explain to my grandmother, my mother, my sisters, how come i can't eat the food they've lovingly prepared for me. they already think my religious conversion is a bit weird, in fact, i don't think they had ever heard of sikhs before i expressed my interest in sikhi. they took my vegetarianism in stride (i had been a vegetarian for years before amrit), and have always made an effort to accommodate my diet. the problem is, i don't know how long i can put off visiting them. what do i tell them? how can i explain it in a way that won't hurt them?

suggestions are welcome!

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
You can draw an analogy between bibek and Kosher for Jews - which they might find more relateable.

Otherwise, generally, it will be hard to explain since your family will be unfamiliar with the spiritual/gurmat concepts that underline the importance of dietary bibek.

It is important to be careful since it is common for people to get defensive and insecure and react in an unfortunate way...
Bhain jeeo,

As Bhai Gurdas Singh pointed out, it is usually hard to explain or reason out with the family as to why you can't eat from them anymore. Ones who are from Gursikh families have it easy but ones who come from regular families and want to keep Khalsa rehit, have to face some difficult time explaining why you can'teat from them. The worse mistake you can make is to lose patience. It will increase hostility from their side.

The wise thing to do is to try reasoning out why you keep Bibek. Make sure you hightlight the fact that purpose behind keeping dietary Bibek is not that you consider yourself superior and them inferior. The reason why Bibek is kept is to obey the hukam of Guru Sahib. Guru Sahib's hukam is to consider oneself as lowest of all. This is the play of Vaheguru and in this play our role is to play the role of Gursikhs. Why we do certain things is not for us to know. Our side of the contract is to obey the hukams of Guru Sahib and Guru Sahib's role is to bring union between us and our beloved one - Vaheguru. We play our role of obeying the hukams and Guru Sahib enables us to meet Vaheguru.

It would be a good idea if you gave your parents Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee's autobiography translated in English. It may bring some awareness about the Gurmat Bibek.

The foremost thing to do is to do an ardaas. Afterall, Vaheguru is sitting inside them too. If Vaheguru wills, there will be no problem at all.

We have all gone through this. At first our relatives were angry but as they saw positive Gurmukhi change in us, they adjusted and chose to ignore the dietary Bibek side of us.

Kulbir Singh
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Bhein Ji, Veer Ji; It is certainly difficult to explain Bibek to our loved ones. But it should not be so. -----------------As Veer Kulbir Singh Ji; points out; "Bibek" is a hukam of Guru Ji. What so ever we understand about the logic of this hukam; we can share with our family members.-------------

We have to follow a spirtual path; unlike most around. We have to wake up early in the morning; when the world sleeps. We have to keep a "worldly detachment" with us during the day time too. We have to focus on the "lotus like feet" of the Guru.------------------ Oh my mother; please help me. I am so happy to find this new comittment of my life. Anand Bhaya Meri Mayye Satguru Mai Payya. Oh my sisters; I will love it; if you join me in singing those cosmic songs about the Guru written by Guru himself.----------------------- It is not any religious binding on me. Gursikhi is not my new religion as it looks like at its face value. It is my personal experience. I want to experience a life style of a saint. I can eat with you. I can dance with you. I love you all. Have my hugs and kisses. My mother; I kiss your caring hands; who cooked food for me so far.----------------Let me experience my new found joy.---------------- My old life style; my food; my eating habits; take me back to my old track. I am trying to avoid that for some time. ---------------I can share nature foods with you. All fruits I can eat sitting with you. I will sit with you; laugh and share jokes with you. We will share memories of our childhood.------------------All good and bad things, I see with those sikh people; I will share with you. My mother; those who smoke I do not sit with them now. They smell foul and I feel suffocated. I do not even eat the food they touch.-----------------------I prepare my own food. And those who are on the same experience wave; I do eat if they cook for me.-------------------Please come to my home; I will show you my new chores. I will cook food for you. You wiil like that Karah Parsad.----------------------- And I will do visit you soon. But please do not mind; if I eat some different foods, I carry with me.)))))))))))))

May be; it serves the pupose or hints about that.
well said mb singh. love is the key. if there is love in your talk your parents will understand. sikhee is not easy. its like walking on sword.
thanks for all of the advice. it's all very helpful.

i've been thinking a lot about it and i might just offer to cook THEM dinner as well. smiling smiley it can't hurt!
Just say your not hungry or your on a diet lol
Explaining Bibek is a great tool for Gurmat Parchar smiling smiley

I agree with other members that its difficult to explain these things to family members. I remember before I took AMrit I tried to follow bibek to a certain level and when offered food from co-workers I would reject it and explain to them I had a strict religious diet. I didnt want to confuse them or make them feel inferior so I just told them I only eat food that has been blessed with the Gurus mantra. Then they became more interested in what is "Mantra" instead of my special diet. After I briefly explained them about the GUrmantra they were very understanding and could relate . They said " Oh its kind of like praying before you eat your food", and then I responsed " yes, but the mantra is recited when preparing the food as well, and the person who makes the food should be a person who makes the food should have a certain level of devotion to the mantra" They were not nosey people so they didnt ask me any more questions or test questions like others have done.

I think most people get offended because they feel inferior or feel like a sinner if you dont eat from them. They also tend to think GUrsikhs think they are better then them because they wont accept your food. SO I think its important to explain what Bibek is and explain to them it doesnt necessarily mean you will eat food from any SIkh. Once you explain to them I only eat food from Sikhs who practice the GUrus teachings then they will become more understanding and realize that so and so is not discriminating against me because of my religion or beliefs. When my relatives saw me not eating from my AmritDhari grandmother then they did begin to understand that I dont show any type of favoritism towards SIkhs and slowly begin to understand that Bibek is a diet based on Spiritual principles.

You can also explain to them the following Shabad

Gwil Kwie ikCu hQhu dyie ]
ghaal khaae kishh hathhahu dhaee ||
One who works for what he eats, and gives some of what he has

nwnk rwhu pCwxih syie ]1]
naanak raahu pashhaanehi saee ||1||
- O Nanak, he knows the Path. ||1||

and then explain to them that to make an honest living and give to others are some of the core pillars of the SIkh faith . Explain that food which is purchased and made from an honest and righteous living is the most blessed food. Then explain to them there is a rehatnama ( Bhai Daya SIngh Ji) which explains that the path of the warriors is to consume food from those who only bear weapons. Meaning we only eat from those people who have a righteous living.

If someone doesnt not bear a shaster then they are too timid and more concerned about their own lives then defending the lives of the innocent. You can also use some US Histroy to try to convey the message. FOr example tell them them when the tyrannical British Empire ruled AMerica it was only though the protest of the brave militia ( American Patriots) that many Americans gained full independence from the hands of Tyrants. By bearing weapons and unselfishly fighting the early Amerian patriots were able to provide people a dignified life. The salt ( food) of such people is most pleasing to God, while the salt that is consumed through the hands which does not do good for others is less pleasing to the Master/enjoyer. Then explain that only those people who wake early , meditate on Gods name, and make a righteous living is the only acceptable food according to the SIkh teachings.

This Shabad is by Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 30

lUxu swihb dw KwiekY rx AMdir liV mrY su jwpY]
loon saahib dhaa khaaeikai ran a(n)dhar larr marai s jaapai||
True is he who is True to the salt of his master and dies fighting for him in the battlefield.

isr vFY hQIAwru kir vrIAwmw virAwmu is\wpY]
sir vadtai hathheeaar kar vareeaamaa variaam sin(j)aapai||
One who beheads the enemy with his weapon is known as brave among the warriors.

iqsu ipCY jo iesqrI Qip QyeI dy vrY srwpY]
this pishhai jo eisatharee thhap thhaeee dhae varai saraapai||
His bereaved woman is established as sati capable of granting boons and curses.

poqY puq vfIrIAin prvwrY swDwru prwpY]
pothai puth vaddeereean paravaarai saadhhaar paraapai||
Sons and grandsons are praised and the whole family became exalted.

vKqY auPir liV mrY AMimRq vylY sbdu AlwpY]
vakhathai oufar larr marai a(n)mrith vaelai sabadh alaapai||
One who dies fighting in the hour of peril and recites the Word in the ambrosial hour is known as the True warrior.

swDsMgiq ivic jwie kY haumY mwir mrY Awpu AwpY]
saadhhasa(n)gath vich jaae kai houmai maar marai aap aapai||
Going to the Holy Congregation and effacing his desires, he wipes out his ego.

liV mrxw qY sqI hoxu gurmuiK pMQu pUrx prqwpY]
larr maranaa thai sathee hon guramukh pa(n)thh pooran parathaapai||
Dying while fighting in battle and maintaining of the control over the senses is the grand path of the Gurmukhs.

sic isdk sc Piru pCwpY ]14]
sach sidhak sach fari pashhaapai ||14||
In whom you repose your full faith is known as the True Guru.(14)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login