ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

There is such a thing as Amritvela

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Many times we hear from some individuals that there is no such thing as Amritvela and that any time when one can engage in Naam Gurbani, that time becomes Amritvela. While this is true that anytime when one indulges in Naam Gurbani, that time is Dhan (auspicious), but according to Gurbani, the last pehar (quarter) of the night has been designated as perfect time to meditate on Naam and do Sifat-Salah (praises) of Vaheguru.

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ:1 ॥
ਸਬਾਹੀ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਜਿਨੀ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਇਕ ਮਨਿ ॥
ਸੇਈ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਾਹ ਵਖਤੈ ਉਪਰਿ ਲੜਿ ਮੁਏ ॥
ਦੂਜੈ ਬਹੁਤੇ ਰਾਹ ਮਨ ਕੀਆ ਮਤੀ ਖਿੰਡੀਆ ॥
ਬਹੁਤੁ ਪਏ ਅਸਗਾਹ ਗੋਤੇ ਖਾਹਿ ਨ ਨਿਕਲਹਿ ॥
ਤੀਜੈ ਮੁਹੀ ਗਿਰਾਹ ਭੁਖ ਤਿਖਾ ਦੁਇ ਭਉਕੀਆ ॥
ਖਾਧਾ ਹੋਇ ਸੁਆਹ ਭੀ ਖਾਣੇ ਸਿਉ ਦੋਸਤੀ ॥
ਚਉਥੈ ਆਈ ਊਂਘ ਅਖੀ ਮੀਟਿ ਪਵਾਰਿ ਗਇਆ ॥
ਭੀ ਉਠਿ ਰਚਿਓਨੁ ਵਾਦੁ ਸੈ ਵਰ੍ਆਿ ਕੀ ਪਿੜ ਬਧੀ ॥
ਸਭੇ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤ ਸਭਿ ਜੇ ਅਠੀ ਭਉ ਹੋਇ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਵਣੁ ਹੋਇ ॥1॥

The above Shabad very beautifully explains how important the Amritvela time is. The Shabad can be broadly translated as follows:

1-2)Those who do Sifat-Salah and meditate (on Vaheguru) with one-mind; only such persons are perfect kings because they fight to death, when the time is right. Fighting to death here means, to battle the inner vices at Amritvela, with the weapons of Naam and Sifat-Salah.

3-4) By the second quarter of the day, the mind's intelligence and focus gets scattered; the mind gets stuck in the deep ocean (of Maya) and can't come above water.

5-6) In the third quarter of the day, the hunger and thirst start clamouring i.e. one gets hungry and thirsty and for this reason engages in eating food. And then when the eaten food is digested, one asks for more food and this way friendship with food remains.

7-8) By the end of the fourth quarter, one gets sleepy and soon goes into the dream world. Then when he gets up, the same circle of Maya starts all over again; the Jeev acts as if he is going to live for 100 more years.

9-10) The ones who live in the divine Fear of Vaheguru, all 8 Pehars of the day, all their time becomes successful. The true bathing occurs only when the Vaheguru resides in the mind.

The above Shabad, makes it clear that all day, the Jeev is stuck in the works of Maya. It's only at Amritvela, i.e. the last quarter of the night that one gets a chance to engage in some Sifat Salaah of Vaheguru. If this time too is spoiled and wasted in sleeping, then the whole day is gone waste. Those who keep Amritvela, their day too becomes successful as the second last Pankiti of this Shabad makes it clear.

Without Amritvela, one's Sikhi cannot stay alive and one always remains a slave of evil vices. One has hope of becoming emancipated only if one follows Guru Sahib's teachings including Amritvela Naam Abhyaas Kamaaee.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Kulbir SIngh
Without Amritvela, one's Sikhi cannot stay alive and one always remains a slave of evil vices

Well said SIngho!

ਬਿਦਾਰੀ ਅਸਤ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਏ ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨੇ ਸ਼ੌਕ
ਗੋਯਾ ਹਰਾਮ ਕਰਦਮ ਆਇੰਦਾ ਖ੍ਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ

Those who have strong desires (ਸ਼ੌਕ) to meet their master God ( ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨੇ) stay awake (ਬਿਦਾਰੀ ) in their life.
Nand Lal, has renounced (ਕਰਦਮ ਆਇੰਦਾ) the forbidden deed (ਹਰਾਮ) of Amrit Vela sleep (ਖ੍ਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ)

Bhai Nand Lal Ji
Waheguru Jee
Beautiful quote, Sukhdeep Singh jeeo.

ਬਿਦਾਰੀ ਅਸਤ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਏ ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨੇ ਸ਼ੌਕ
ਗੋਯਾ ਹਰਾਮ ਕਰਦਮ ਆਇੰਦਾ ਖ੍ਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ
Those who have strong desires (ਸ਼ੌਕ) to meet their master God ( ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨੇ) stay awake (ਬਿਦਾਰੀ ) in their life.
Nand Lal, has renounced (ਕਰਦਮ ਆਇੰਦਾ) the forbidden deed (ਹਰਾਮ) of Amrit Vela sleep (ਖ੍ਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ)

From very limited understanding of Farsi I have the meaning can be:

ਅਗੇ ਤੋਂ (ਆਇੰਦਾ) ਸਵੇਰੇ ਸਉਣਾ (ਖ੍ਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ) ਮੈਂ ਹਰਾਮ ਕਰ ਦਿਤਾ (ਹਰਾਮ ਕਰਦਮ).

Another thing is if the word ਆਇੰਦਾ is actually ਆਇਦਾ then it would mean tradition instead of "in the future". Then the meaning would be:

ਸਵੇਰੇ ਸਉਣ ਦੀ ਰਵਾਇਤ ਹਰਾਮ ਕਰ ਦਿਤੀ।

In any case, this is an amazing quote from Bhai Nandlal jee.

Kulbir Singh
I double checked the spelling and according to both Principal Ganga Singh ( philosopher) and Pandit Narain Singh the word
is ਆਇੰਦਾ not ਆਇਦਾ and as previously mentioned the meaning is " in the future". Meaning in the future Bhai Anand SIngh Ji
will regard early morning sleep as haram and renounce this practice.
Sukhdeep Singh
Meaning in the future Bhai Anand SIngh Ji
will regard early morning sleep as haram and renounce this practice.

Who is this Bhai "Anand Singh" you speak of?

Hari Singh
Bhai ANand SIngh Ji was the name of BHai Nand Lal after he took
AMrit ( KHanda Di Pahul) again in 1699.
Sukhdeep Singh, what do you mean by after he took Amrit AGAIN?
And why is he not referred to as Bhai Anand Singh more commonly now a days?
We know from history, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur's real name was actually Bhai Gurbakhsh Singh. And we also know why his real name is not commonly used. There is historical evidence to prove Baba Banda Singh Bahadur ji's real name was Bhai Gurbakhsh Singh.

But we've never heard about Bhai Nand Laal jee's real name to be "Bhai Anand Singh". Never heard of any historical evidence either proves his real name was Bhai Anand Singh.

Sukhdeep Singh, what do you mean by after he took Amrit AGAIN?
And why is he not referred to as Bhai Anand Singh more commonly now a days?

Since 1699 It has become a Gurmat tradition for all abhilakhees to adopt a Gurmukh name.
Previous caste name gets removed, and first name changes if it was not selected
according to Gurmat. Guru Sahib himself changed his last name from Rai to Singh.

In 1699, many prominent figures such as Mata Gujuri , SahibzaDEY, and BHai Nand Lal Ji aka Bhai
ANand SIngh Ji retook Amrit . I dont see any difference between charan di pahul amrit or Khanda Di Pauhl
amrit, but perhaps they retook AMrit to serve as an example for those who were under the illusion that
Khanda DI Pahaul along with the Khalsa code of conduct was not necessary. Guru Sahib himself
took Amrit, and we know there was no need for him to take AMrit as he is and was Amrit. But never less
took Khanda Di Pahaul AMrit to show importance of this auspicious ceremony.

Bhai Anand SIngh Ji was already AmritDhari before 1699. He was married to an AmritDHari BIbi and they had
AMritDhari children. Many of us including myself often refer to BHai Anand SIngh Ji as BHai Nand Lal to
avoid confusion among people who dont know basic details of Bhai Sahibs life. In the past , I have
always referred to Bhai Anand Singh Ji as Bhai Nand Lal, but now I will no longer do so because
Guru Sahib says one is a a tankhiya if they dont call a Gursikh by his full ( Gurmukh) name.
Sukhdeep Singh jee- please mention historical evidence to confirm about Bhai Nand Lal Jee.
Again, a thread has gone off topic. I would request the admin to please close this topic. Also, if in the near future, a member of this forum writes Bhai Nand Laal ji's name as 'Bhai Anand Singh', please edit it to Bhai Nand Laal.
Thank you.
Please close this thread.

Guru Sahib himself changed his last name from Rai to Singh.

"Singh" is not the last name but part of the first name. Many senior Singhs have mentioned that "Singh" is part of the first name and this is the reason why it should be pronounced along with the first name e.g. not "Sukhdeep" but "Sukhdeep Singh". This is why, in olden days, most Singhs used to use the name of their villages or their poetic pen names as their last name e.g. Shaheed Mehtab Singh Mira Koti, Shaheed Sukha Singh Maari Kambo, Sardar Teja Singh Samundri, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Narangwal, Sant Sundar Singh Bhindranwale.

Secondly, the meaning of Nand and Anand is quite different from each other. If anything, the name would have been changed to Nandlal Singh and not Anand Singh. It would be good to see some historical evidence with respect to Bhai Nand Lal jee changing his name to Anand Singh.

Kulbir Singh
When we take Amrit , Guru Sahib says our native village is now Anandpur Sahib from Sodhi lineage. Previous residence
and family lineage is of now avail.. It does not seem right to suggest otherwise.

In regards to Bhai Anand Singh Ji, refer to Sri GUrmukh Parkaash written by Giani Gurbachan SIngh
Ji he mentions what I have stated on this thread. ALso, I think GIani Gian SIngh Ji also mentions
a name change.
Sukhdeep Singh, I do not understand what you mean when you say Bhai Nand Lal Ji was already Amrithdari BEFORE 1699, could you briefly elaborate please Ji? How is that so?
I'm sorry that my first post in this thread resulted in this thread losing its direction. What is bothersome though is that Sukhdeep Singh is allowed to continuously disrupt threads.

This forum is for a Gurmat filled spiritual atmosphere but sadly posts by Sukhdeep Singh continuously bring down the Chardi kala amongst topics and discussions.

(I really hope Sukhdeep Singh doesn't have another new theory on the word "Chardi kala" originating from some crazy theory eye rolling smiley Somehow, Sukhdeep Singh will relate it to some new crazy theory eye rolling smiley )

Please Sukhdeep Singh - set up a free blog. Here; www.blogger.com

Hari Singh
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.