Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Karva Chauth

Posted by Damandeep Singh 
Karva Chauth
October 18, 2011 10:03AM
Cofih AMnu krih pwKMf ]

shhoddehi a(n)n karehi paakha(n)dd ||

One who discards this grain, is practicing hypocrisy.

nw sohwgin nw Eih rMf ]

naa sohaagan naa ouhi ra(n)dd ||

She is neither a happy soul-bride, nor a widow.

What does this Pangti mean? Is it related to the Karva Chauth or to something else. HOw can this be intertretated?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This pankti in general condems any kind of Fasting to Gursiikhs. Karva Chauth is same kind of practise where the brides fast all day and eats after seeing the moon tonight, thus we do get directions from the Pankti that Karva Chauth is a Pakhand too.

Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee fateh!
Re: Karva Chauth
October 18, 2011 10:38AM
What I dont understand is the second part of the pangti:

naa sohaagan naa ouhi ra(n)dd ||

She is neither a happy soul-bride, nor a widow.

What does this mean... why is she neither a happy bride nor a widow??? dont get that point?
October 18, 2011 11:28AM
The Pankitis you quoted, Damandeep Singh jeeo, are not related to Karva Chauth fast that Hindu wives keep for their husbands. Let's look at the whole stanza:

ਛੋਡਹਿ ਅੰਨੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਾਖੰਡ ॥
ਨਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਨਿ ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਰੰਡ ॥
ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਬਕਤੇ ਦੂਧਾਧਾਰੀ ॥
ਗੁਪਤੀ ਖਾਵਹਿ ਵਟਿਕਾ ਸਾਰੀ ॥੩॥

There are 4 Pankitis in this stanza and they can be translated as follows:

They shed flour and do Pakhand; they are like such woman who is neither a Suhagan (wife) nor a widow i.e. a confused woman. They make themselves known as ones who only drink milk but secretly they eat all stock of Pinniyaan (sweet food made with flour, sugar and Daal or gheo etc.)

The women who keep Karva Chauth don't just shed flour but also don't drink milk whereas these Pankitis are for such monks who claim to drink only milk and eat no food. To such people who do Pakhand of eating only milk outwardly but secretly eat all kinds of food, Guru Sahib has written this Shabad.

The whole Shabad is very interesting and gives us the Hukam that we should eat good food including flour because Naam can be japped only if we eat well.

While, Karva Chauth is not a practice that is followed by Sikh women as it is against Gurmat to do so, these Pankitis however are not geared towards Karva Chauth.

Having said that, the intention behind Karva Chauth is quite sweet i.e. the well-being of husband but the method or the way employed to get this desire fulfilled is not according to Gurmat. Sikh women (and men too) wish for the Chardi Kala of their life-partner but they do so by doing Paath, Simran and Ardaas. Furthermore, Sikhs care for and wish for the Chardi Kala of their life-partners (and everyone else) every single day and not just on one day of the year.

Kulbir Singh
October 18, 2011 12:14PM

Having said that, the intention behind Karva Chauth is quite sweet i.e. the well-being of husband
Bhai Sahib, I can't stop smiling ear-to-ear as this reminds me of a very old post of your at Tapoban forum grinning smiley
October 18, 2011 12:36PM
Thank you ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login