ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Giving babies Amrit?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Giving babies Amrit?
February 27, 2010 05:25PM
I was wondering what is the proper method of initiating children into Sikhi.

Many faiths baptize their children at birth, but I dont such a thing can exist in Sikhi, because Amrit Sanchar has many things
that the abhilakhi has to be devoted and understand their commitments.

But at the same time I think its important for the baby child to be blessed from Guru so as Kesdhari they have a path to follow , and one day they will seek the blessings of Amrit. I have heard there are many methods of giving Guru Sahibs blessing to baby children.

1) One is a Singh recites Japji Sahib while string the water with a khanda . I really dont understand the principle behind this method?

2) Babies take Chula. Which people half-amrit. The baby takes amrit in the mouth but not the eyes, kes, etc . this seems the most popular method in todays time.

3) The third method which I have recently read was a baby take Amrit from the Panj Pyaareys feet meaning the Panj Pyaarey clean their feet while reciting Panj Bania and the "amrit" is then given to the baby,and as Kesdhari they follow the teachings of Guru Sahib and eventually take Amrit in the standard method. I have never heard of any baby taking Amrit this way. Was this a method that existed in the past?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Giving babies Amrit?
February 28, 2010 11:10AM
A new born Sikh child should be administered full Amrit at Amrit Sinchaar. We confirmed it with several Singhs of Bhai Sahib's time and the maryada is to give full Amrit (5 times in mouth, five times in eyes and five times in hair) even to a new born child. Everytime the child is asked to utter, "Bol Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee Fateh", the mother or the guardian responds in turn because the baby cannot talk.

Then when the child reaches the age (around 12 or so) when he or she can do full Nitnem, and keep other Rehit, he or she is again made to get pesh before Punj Pyare. The Punj Pyare give the Child just Choola this time and make him or her "Saavdhaan". After giving the Child Choola, Naam Drirh too is done to the child. This time the child does not need to be given full Amrit, unless of course a Bajjar Kurehit has occurred.

A Child who is not an Amritdhari (fully Amritdhari) cannot be given Choola. Choola can be given only to an Amritdhari person. The practice of giving Choola to a non-Amritdhari child is against Gurmat and should not be done.

Kulbir Singh
March 01, 2010 08:14AM
Guru Piyario,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

A new born Sikh child should be administered full Amrit at Amrit Sinchaar. We confirmed it with several Singhs of Bhai Sahib's time and the maryada is to give full Amrit (5 times in mouth, five times in eyes and five times in hair) even to a new born child. Everytime the child is asked to utter, "Bol Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee Fateh", the mother or the guardian responds in turn because the baby cannot talk.

And on top of this GURMANTAR is also given to the ROOH.

With Regards,
Daas
JASJIT SINGH
March 01, 2010 09:05AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Birth of Khalsa

Several months before March 1699, Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji invited followers from all over India to a special congregation at Anandpur on Vaisakhi Day, 30 March 1699. As a result, on that particular day many hundreds of devotees and onlookers had gathered at Anandpur Sahib. Many had come as a sign of respect for the Guru and in accordance to his invitation while some had just come out of curiosity. On the appointed day, the Guru addressed the congregants with a most stirring oration on his divine mission of restoring their faith and preserving Dharam (righteousness).

After inspirational discourse, Guru Sahib flashed unsheathed sword and said that every great deed was preceded by equally great sacrifice. Guru Sahib asked, with a naked sword in his hand, "Is there any one among you who is prepared to die for the their faith ?"

Source: [sikhiwiki.org]

Now questions arise,

1. Did Guru Sahib invite just males or everyone including (babies, grown up kids, females) to the Visakhi 1699 congregation ?

2. If babies, grown up kids & females too were present, why isn't there any mention of them taking Khandey di pahul in history or Old Rehitnamas ?

3. Is modern day Rehat really authentic ? If we compare the old with new, it clearly shows maryada has evolved with time and circumstances.

4. Has Khandey di pahul been made into a ritual, without understanding the true purpose is a big question !

5. I remember hearing or reading that Khandey di pahul mustn't be forced onto someone, it is voluntary.
Even Punj Singhs doing seva of Punj Piyaras + Granthi Singh + other Sevadar Singhs at Amrit Sanchaar ask those (not ready or forced), to leave the Sanchaar.

Now whose kidding and what is manmat ?

Stop stereotyping people, do Vichaar !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
March 01, 2010 12:38PM
Singhbj jeeo,

I have read it in Rehitnamas that children of Sikhs too should be administered the Pahul. I will try to find reference when I get a chance. Without the Pahul, the body does not get purified. The children of Sikhs must be administered Amrit at the first instance, after they are born. Such is the maryada in all Panthik jathas and groups of Sikhs.

When the children reach an age when they can keep rehit themselves, they are done saavdhaan by Punj Pyare, by giving them choola.

It does not seem right to leave the children be-amritdhari till they become teenagers. Why they should be given Amrit, when they can't decide for themselves? The answer to this is that it should be assumed decision of Vaheguru since these souls are born into the homes of Amritdhari Gurmukhs. There are certain things that happen naturally when a child is born to an Amritdhari family e.g. the child will listen to paath, will not cut hair, will wear Dastaar as soon as he or she can etc. Same way by default, the child gets Amrit too. A child cannot decide for himself what he or she should eat, wear, read etc. Parents make this decision for them. Same way the decision of Amrit too is made by the parents and it seems just decision.

Kulbir Singh
March 02, 2010 05:16AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Kulbir Singh ji,

Kindly provide source of this Rehat if it's from one of the ORIGINAL REHATNAMA's.

Otherwise it's just one man's or group's word against other.

Regarding kids born to Amritdhari parents is a Blessing but as there are two sides to every coin, most of them become Stereotypes.

Through out their lives, kids remain dependants, they are not given space to explore, research and grow.

The parents actually want kids to follow them rather than Satguru !

They might get a head start but advantage is only upto a certain level (let's say school level), once they go for higher studies (which requires self-study, research and confidence) their advantage turns to disadvantage.

On the other hand, if these kids trust what their parents teach then why do they need to learn from forums ?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
March 02, 2010 07:25AM
so what do you suggest singhbj, sikh parents cut their children's hair and let them make their own decisions later on? should they let them eat meat too?

if parents make a decision and don't cut their hair, make them do paath, then why not let them take amrit too? in any case, this is the decision that punj pyare make. why are you questioning it?
March 02, 2010 07:51AM
Singhbj jeeo,

Otherwise it's just one man's or group's word against other.

Please inform us which Panthik organization of Samprada says that we should not give Amrit to Kids.

Through out their lives, kids remain dependants, they are not given space to explore, research and grow.

Please inform us which Maryada says that kids should be left independant and allowed to explore and research Maya? What's the merit in researching and exploring Maya? Its the duty of parents to do the best for their kids and to give them Gursikhi Sanskaars is the utmost act of benevolence.

It is the duty of the parents to keep unshorn hair of their kids, teach them paath, instill Gursikh principles and morals in them, and above all clean their Antashkaran by administering them Khande ki Pahul. If this had been an anti-Gurmat practice, then Punj Pyare won't admininster them Amrit but we know they do. The least I can say is that there can't be a harm in doing so.

Kulbir Singh
singhbj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru ji ka khalsa
> Waheguru ji ki fateh
>
> Kulbir Singh ji,
>
> Kindly provide source of this Rehat if it's from
> one of the ORIGINAL REHATNAMA's.
>
> Otherwise it's just one man's or group's word
> against other.
>
> Regarding kids born to Amritdhari parents is a
> Blessing but as there are two sides to every coin,
> most of them become Stereotypes.
>
> Through out their lives, kids remain dependants,
> they are not given space to explore, research and
> grow.
>
> The parents actually want kids to follow them
> rather than Satguru !
>
> They might get a head start but advantage is only
> upto a certain level (let's say school level),
> once they go for higher studies (which requires
> self-study, research and confidence) their
> advantage turns to disadvantage.
>
> On the other hand, if these kids trust what their
> parents teach then why do they need to learn from
> forums ?
>
> Waheguru ji ka khalsa
> Waheguru ji ki fateh

There are various rehatnamas that say to raise ones children as Sikh.

In Bhai Chaupa Singhs rehatnama Guru Sahib goes to the extent on saying not to house a mona. In Bhai Bhai Nand Lals rehtanama Guru Sahib says those fathers who do not raise their child as Sikh will not get mukhti. I would post these rehatnamas but I see no point in discussing these things with you. Its obvious you have no respect for Gurmukhs or Guru Sahibs rehat so why bother talking to such people. You you should be ashamed of yourself for slandering a Saintly Gurmukh.
March 03, 2010 10:18AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

I believe that it's ONLY worthwhile to give suggestions, advice & replies to those who really need it !

Kindly give reply to this GENUINE NEEDY guy at

[www.sikhsangat.com]

Thanks

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.