ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stories of Gursikhs relating to different Rehats

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Khalsa Jee,

Can Sangat share stories of Gursikhs from history which exemplifies and illustrates Rehat.

For example...

- Amritvela
- Kakkaars
- Nitnem
- Daswand
- Sangat
- Kurehats etc.

Thanks

Manvir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
And bibek / sarbloh!
Story relating to Bibek Rehat:

Taken from an article about Shaheed Jathedaar Gurdev Singh Kaunke:

http://www.neverforget84.com/shaheeds/shaheed-jathedar-gurdev-singh-kaunke
... Bhai Sahib was a very strict Gursikh and followed the practice of Gurmat Bibek. This meant that would only eat food prepared by Amritdhari hands. Bhai Sahib was also strict in his Amrit vela, rising everyday at 2am. From 2am to 8am, Bhai Sahib would do his nitnem, and would never speak to anyone during this period. Bhai Sahib was very influenced by Sant Jarnail Singh. Throughout the Dharam Yudh Morcha, Bhai Sahib, along with his whole family would court arrest.

When Jathedaar Ji was arrested and despite the many tortures he was given he remained steadfast in maintaining Bibek Rehat:

http://www.neverforget84.com/shaheeds/shaheed-jathedar-gurdev-singh-kaunke
In them days, a rumour spread through the villages of Jagraon. When Swaran Gotna swore at Jathedar Ji and told him to remove his Kirpan and gatra. Jathedar Ji in a state of Bir-Rass (warrior spirit) replied, ‘Stop, who are you threatening. This is worn because of the many Great Sacrifices.. A dog of the Brahmin like you will never understand its value..’ A scuffle broke between the two and it took 5-7 commandos to restrain Bhai Sahib. His Kakkaars were removed and he was mercilessly beaten and tortured.

Jathedar Ji due to keeping Gurmat Bibek would never eat at the Police station. Everyday his family would bring prepared meals for him, but the brutal Police always refused to let him eat, and sent the family away. As a result, Bhai Sahib health became weak, but he never compromised of his religious principles of Gurmat Bibek.

The Jeevani of Jathedar Gurdev Singh Kaunke personally inspired Daas to maintain Bibek Rehat.

Dhan Guru, Dhan Guru Ke Pyaare.

Please post any other stories of Gurmukhs that illustrate any Rehats. Thanks.

Manvir Singh
Story relating to Amrit-vela Rehit:

When Guru Gobind Singh Jee and the Sikh Sangat left Anandpur Sahib after it was surrounded by the deceitful Mughal forces and Hindu Hill Rajas, they arrived at the banks of the Sarsa River. By the time Guru Jee and the Sangat arrived at the river bank it was Amritvela. Satguru asked Baba Ajeet Singh jee, Bhai Udhey Singh Jee and Bhai Jeevan Singh jee to keep back the attacking forces while they recite Nitnem and do Aasa Kee Vaar Keertan.

Pyaare Bhai Daya Sing Jee asked Kalgidhar Paatshaah, "Guru Jee, we are being attacked by the enemy forces. 300 Singhs have become Shaheed trying to keep the forces back whilst we are doing Nitnem." Guru Jee replied, "Bhai Daya Singh Jee, this is the price of a Gursikh's Amrit-vela. A Sikh never misses Amrit-vela."

300 Singhs became Shaheed but Guru Jee never compromised Amritvela.

Vaheguroo.
Bhai Manvir Singh Jio,

Thanks for sharing Guru Sahib's Saakhi. Shaheedi of so many Singhs shows how important Amritvela is and how important it is to not disturb your Amritvela session no matter if enemy is on the door.

With Regards
Daas
Amritvela post of Bhai Manvir Singh reminded this Daas a recent happening which I do not know whether should write or not but little funny though.

ਵੱਡੇ ਤੜਕੇ ਨੀਂਦ ਜੀਉ ਆਪਣੇ ਭਰ ਜੋਬਨ ਤੇ ਸਨ ਅਤੇ ਚੜਾਈ ਮਚੀ ਹੋਈ ਸੀ ਗ੍ਰਿਫ਼ਤ ਚੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਨਿਕਲਣਾ ਬਹੁਤ ਕਠਿਨ ਜਾਪ ਰਿਹਾ ਸੀ। ਆਲਸ ਆਖ ਰਿਹਾ ਸੀ ਬੱਚੂ ਅੱਜ ਆਇਆ ਹੈ ਅੜਿੱਕੇ ਅੱਜ ਬਚ ਕੇ ਦਿਖਾ। ਗੱਲ ਕੀ ਫ਼ੌਜਾ ਹਾਰ ਰਹੀਆ ਸਨ ਕੋਈ ਚਾਰਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ ਚਲ ਰਿਹਾ। ਅਲਾਰਮ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਜੀ ਵੀ ਆਪਣੇ ਸੁਝਾਉ ਦੇ ਕੇ ਹਾਰ ਚੁੱਕੇ ਸਨ ਸ਼ਾਇਦ ਜੇ ਓਸ ਵਖ਼ਤ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਉਪਰਲੀ ਸਾਖੀ ਯਾਦ ਆ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਹਾਰ ਜਿੱਤ ਵਿਚ ਬਦਲ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਪਰ ਹੋਇਆ ਕੀ ਫੌਜਾਂ ਹਾਰਦਿਆਂ ਵੇਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਮਿਹਰ ਕੀਤੀ ਕਿ ਫੋਨ ਦੀ ਘੰਟੀ ਵਜਣ ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਹੋ ਗਈ। ਅਮ੍ਰਿੰਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਜੇ ਕਿਤੇ ਫੋਨ ਦੀ ਘੰਟੀ ਵਜੇ ਤਾਂ ਸਮਝੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕੋਈ ਬੁਰੀ ਖਬਰ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਇਧਰ ਤਾਂ ਕੋਈ ਏਸ ਵਖਤ ਫੋਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਸ ਪੰਜਾਬੋ ਹੀ ਆਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ ਵੀ ਕਿਸੇ ਬੁਰੀ ਖਬਰ ਦਾ ਕਿ ਜੀ ਫਲਾਣੀ ਰੂਹ ਚੜ੍ਹਾਈ ਕਰ ਗਈ। ਖੈਰ! ਹਾਰ ਰਹੇ ਯੁੱਧ ਦਾ ਪਾਸਾ ਪਲਟਿਆਂ ਫੌਜਾਂ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਹੋ ਗਈਆਂ। ਨਾ ਚਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਵੀ ਫੌਨ ਚੁੱਕਿਆ ਅਗਾਉ ਅਵਾਜ਼ਾ ਪਿਆ ਜੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਵੇਲਾ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਪੰਜਾਂ ਕੂ ਮਿੰਟਾਂ ਪਹੁੰਚ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ। ਬਸ ਫਿਰ ਕੀ ਹੁਣ ਤਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਵੀ ਭਾਜੜਾ ਪੈ ਗਈਆ। ਪੈ ਗਈ ਐਮਰਜੈਸੀ। ਪੰਜਾਂ ਮਿੰਟਾਂ ‘ਚ ਜੰਗਲ ਪਾਣੀ, ਕੁਰਲਾ ਤੇ ਸ਼ਕੇਸੀ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਫਿਰ ਬਸਤਰ। ਆਹਾ! ਅੱਜ ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਹਾ ਪਤਾ ਲੱਗੂ ਕਿੰਨਾ ਕੂ ਅਮ੍ਰਿੰਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਦਾ ਧਾਰਨੀ ਹੈ। ਇਉਂ ਜਾਪ ਰਿਹਾ ਸੀ ਕਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਇਕ ਯੁੱਧ ‘ਚੋ ਕੱਢ ਦੂਸਰਾ ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਕਰਵਾ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੋਵੇ। ਪਰ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਸਦਕਾ ਉਹ ਐਕਸਪ੍ਰੈਸ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਭੁਲਦਾ। ਗੱਲ ਕੀ ਫੌਜਾਂ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਹੋ ਚੋਕੜੇ ‘ਚ ਜੁੱਟ ਗਈਆਂ ਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਲੱਖ ਲੱਖ ਸ਼ੁਕਰ ਕੀਤਾ ਤੇ ਇੰਨੇ ਨੂੰ ਅਭਿਆਸੀ ਜਨ ਜੀ ਵੀ ਪਹੁੰਚ ਚੁੱਕੇ ਸਨ। ਨਿਤਨੇਮ ਦੀ ਸਮਾਪਤੀ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਅਦ ਦਾਸ ਨੇ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਸੰਗਤ ਕਰਵਾਉਣ ਦਾ ਬਹੁਤ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ ਕੀਤਾ। ਉਹਨਾਂ ਆਖਿਆ ਬਈ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਦਾਸ ਦਾ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਤੁਸਾਂ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਮੰਨ ਲਈ ਅਤੇ ਕਹਿਣ ਲੱਗੇ ਕਿ ਪ੍ਰੋਗਾਮ ਤਾਂ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਾਡੇ ਇਕ ਹੋਰ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਿਆਰ ਵਾਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਰ ਦੇ ਘਰ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਸੀ ਪਰ ਉੱਥੇ ਪਹੁੰਚੇ ਤਾਂ ਦਰਵਾਜਾ ਬੰਦ ਸੀ ਅਤੇ ਫਿਰ ਉਥੋ ਹੀ ਦਾਸ ਨੂੰ ਫੋਨ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ। ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਰ ਸ਼ਾਇਦ ਟਰਾਂਟੋ ਸਮਾਗਮ ਲਈ ਜਾ ਚੁੱਕਿਆ ਸੀ ਪਰ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ ਪਤਾ। ਖੈਰ! ਦਾਸ ਨੇ ਅਤੇ ਸਿੰਘਣੀ ਨੇ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਬੜਾ ਹੀ ਸਵਾਗਤ ਕੀਤਾ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅੱਗੇ ਇਹ ਹੀ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਕੀਤੀ ‘ਸੋਈ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਮੇਲ ਜਿਹਨਾਂ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਚਿਤ ਆਵੇ’।

ਖਿਮਾ ਕਰਨਾ ਵਿਸ਼ੇ ਤੋਂ ਹਟਵਾਂ ਜਿਹਾ ਲਿਖ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ। ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਸਿਫਤ ਲਿਖਿਆਂ ਬਗੈਰ ਕੋਣ ਰਹਿ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ ਭਾਵੇਂ ਕਿ ਥੋੜਾ ਹਾਸ ਰਾਸ ਹੀ ਸਹੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਹੈ।
ਭਾਈ ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀਓ, ਭਾਗ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਨੇ ਕੀ ਅਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਸਿੰਘਾ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤ ਮਿਲਦੀ ਹੈ | ਸਾਡੇ ਤਾ ਇੰਨੇ ਭੀ ਭਾਗ ਨਹੀ |
ਪਰ ਹਾ, ਤੁਹਾਡੀ ਪੋਸਟ ਨੇ ਬਹੁਤ ਹਸਾਏਯਾ ਸਾਨੂ ....lolgrinning smiley

Chota veer
Story relating to Nitnem Rehit:

Guru Gobind Singh Jee was once sitting with the Sangat. He had with him a stone and a bucket full of water. He threw the stone into the bucket and the stone sunk to the bottom. He then asked the Sangat why the stone sunk?

One person said that it sunk because it was a stone … a stone always sinks. But Guru Jee asked why is it that the stone sunk? Another Sangatee responded that it was going to sink because it is heavy … a heavy object will always sink in water. Guru Sahib Jee responded that this was not the right answer. He asked people to give the right answer. No-one had a clue - they could not overcome their scientific way of thinking.

Finally, Guru Gobind Singh Jee turned to Bhai Nand Lal Jee. Bhai Nand Lal Jee was sitting at the bottom of Guru Jee's Takhat, and as soon as Guru Jee asked him, Bhai Nand Lal Jee started crying. Guru Jee said "Nand Lal, why are you crying? Give an answer to my question."

Bhai Nand Lal Jee responded, "when the stone was with you, it was afloat in this world. When the stone left you, it sunk." Guru Gobind Singh Jee was very happy with Bhai Nand Lal Jee and gave him a tight embrace.

Guru Jee gave this as an example of what happens to us when we leave the Guru. When we leave the True Guru, we all sink. When we stay with the Guru, Guru Sahib carries us across the Ocean to Waheguroo.

How can we stay with Guru Sahib so that we too are carried across the Ocean? We must submit ourselves to him by taking Khande-Battae-Da-Amrit. We must try and follow the Rehits provided to us by Guru Sahib … each and everyone is designed to be carried across.

We must follow the Nitnem routine provided to us by Guru Jee. Baba Nand Singh Jee used to say that when we do Nitnem, we offer our arm out to Guru Jee to carry us across. By doing Nitnem, Guru Nanak Dev Jee will never let go of our arm. But when we fail in our Nitnem, we take away our offering arm. How can Guru Jee carry us across then?

When we immerse ourselves in the Shabad, there is nothing that can cause us to sink, since the Shabad forms a protection barrier all around us to carry us across.

gur kaa sabadh rakhavaarae ||
The Word of the Guru's Shabad is my Saving Grace.

choukee chougiradh hamaarae ||
It is a guardian posted on all four sides around me.
Beautiful Saakhis, Bhai Manvir Singh jeeo. Thanks for reminding us about the importance of Amritvela. And that story was very funny Bhai Jasjit Singh jeeo.

Kulbir Singh
Vaaheguru !!!
The personal experience of Jasjit Singh Veer Ji about Amrit Vela is very inspiring, Guru Sahib helped Veer Ji for the LAHA, through his friends. Veer Ji is lucky.

About the Sakhi of 300 singhs getting SHAHEEDI while trying to stop enemies invading Sangat is really shocking. Is it so? Do we have sufficient evidence for that Sakhi? Singhs doing Nitnem, while their brothers were dying for them? Kindly do confirm the source and other details. Bhul Chuk maaf Hove Ji.

The personal experience of Jasjit Singh Veer Ji about Amrit Vela is very inspiring, Guru Sahib helped Veer Ji for the LAHA, through his friends. Veer Ji is lucky.

Bhai MB Singh jio, Daas do not think that experience is worth inspiring at all and do not know either whether we get the Laha or not but one thing is becoming hard truth for us, as I mentioned that if phone rings during Amritvela means there is bad news from Punjab and today’s Amritvela did not spare us from this. While doing Ishnana, phone rang, Singhni jee picked up and the news was bad. Singhni jee’s grandfather did Akaal Chalana few minutes before. I do not know what to say further as it is all under Guru Sahib’s play but one thing is clear though Amritvela is important as Dasam Patshah’s Saakhi highlight this. May Guru Sahib bring His mercy upon us to call ourselves His Sikhs.
VaheguroooojikakhalsaaaaVaheguroooojikifatehhhh!!!!!!!
Bhai MB Singh Jeeo, apologies that I don't have the evidence and hence won't be answering your question directly but if during the time of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, 1200 Sikhs can get shaheed for Gulbagh & Dilbagh (i.e. the two horses which Bhai Bidhi Chand Ji got back from the Mughals), then I do think that 300 Singhs getting Shaheed for Amritwela seems to be authentic. Rest the author can provide the evidences requested by you.
VaheguroooojikakhalsaaaaVaheguroooojikifatehhhh!!!!!!!
Story related to performing to eating before rehras, and perfroming shabad chaukee before rehras.

Rehats of Guru Gobind SIngh JI :

1. ਸੋਦਰ ਕੀ ਚੌਕੀ ਕਰੇ, ਆਲਸ ਕਰੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ। -
Dont be lazy sing sodar verses before reciting rehras.
Bhai Desa Singh JI

2.ਪ੍ਰਾਤਾ ਕਾਲ ਗੁਰ ਗੀਤ ਨ ਗਾਵੈ। ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੈ।ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ। ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਜਗ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੇ।
He who does not sing Gurbani in the early hours, and eats without reciting Rehras will remain lost in the cycle of birth and death over and over.
Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji

I think these are the most two most important yet negeclted rehats many people avoid during the evening time. I thought I would share a Sakhi about Bhai Mardana which would inspire us to be more disciplined in observing the above Hukums.

When Guru Nanak Sahib Ji would go on his missionary travels he was often accompanied by his childhood friend Bhai Bala Ji and Bhai Mardana Ji who was a musician by trade. During the tours Guru Sahib would recite the Gurbani verses, Bhai Bala Ji would do chaur seva, and Bhai Mardana would sing along while playing the rabab. In the Janam Sakhis, BHai Bala Ji mentions one day they were heading towards the West through a jungle. They have been travelling through out the whole day in the middle of a jungle without any food. The night was approaching and Guru Sahib gave Bhai Mardana Ji the following Hukum:

ਬੱਚਾ ਮਰਦਾਨਿਆ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਕਾ ਵੇਲਾ ਹੋਯਾ ਹੈ ਚੌਕੀ ਕਰੋ
Son-Mardana it is time for Sodar REhars. Sing the sodar verses.

Bhai Mardana Ji replied
ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਅਜ ਤੀਆ ਡੰਗ ਹੋਯਾ ਹੈ ਮੈ ਖਾਧਾ ਪੀਤਾ ਕੁਛ ਨਾਹੀਂ ਮੈਥੋ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ
Guru Ji, I have not ate or drank for the whole day. I cannot sing the shabad.

Taking pity on poor Bhai Mardana Ji, Guru Ji replied " Mardana Ji get up I will get food for you. He said head towards the South. On your path you will come across a person. Do not ask this person for anything accept whatever he gives you"
Bhai Mardana Ji accepted this hukum and headed towards the South, and after a short distance a devta appeared on his route.

When crossing paths the devta asked Mardana " who are you?". Bhai Mardana Ji replied " I am Mardana I am a follower Sri Guru Nanak Sahib Ji". The devta then praised Mardana and said how blessed are you to have darshan of he whose very sight saves the whole world. The devta then started talking about rehat to Bhai Mardana Ji. He mentioned three things to Bhai Mardana Ji.

1. One who obeys the Hukum of Guru Sahib, and recites bani all their sin will be destroyed.

2. In Kaljug, the selling of ones daughter is a great sin which can only be forgiven in GUru Sahibs tenth form.

3. One who does not make distinctions of the 10 Gurus will be free from hell.

Bhai Mardana Ji replied " Blessed are your words. Be merciful and tell me who you are" . The devta replied I am a servant of God, and I am on my way to Sri Sach Khand. He then pointed towards the West ( Guru Sahibs direction) and said overthere there is a true. One who eats fruit from this tree their appetite gets fully quenced. He said go to that tree while recting Sodar Rehras. He then said " Listen Mardana, If a person recite Sodar rehars, and aarti everyday they will recieve mukhti". At this point BHai Mardana Ji understood his folly and headed towards Guru Jis charan.

On reaching Guru Jis charan and said " Guru Ji only you know your limits. We are unaware of your limits. You are WaaheGuru Nirankar!"

Many times we skip rehras or recite rehras fast so we can eat. Everyday in rehras we recite
ਸਿਰਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਸੰਬਾਹੇ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਕਾਹੇ ਮਨ ਭਉ ਕਰਿਆ ॥੨॥

Guru Sahib will provide us with food. Everything exist in his Hukum , his charan. May Guru sahib give us the obedient mind and keep our heads merged in his charan.
The story about 300 Singhs shaheed relating to Amrit-vela was from a Kathaa CD by Giani Guriqbal Singh Mata Kaulan wale
Thanks Bhai Manvir Singh for the story on Amritvela, I had actually been looking for that story for a while. I remember hearing this story, how Guru Sahib completed Asa Ki Var(in keertan format) and only then allowed the Singhs to eat. I'm guessing this means that puratan Singhs did not eat until completing Asa Ki var, and we should try doing the same. Of course, there is no armies after us to kill, so we have no excuse not to. Daas has also learned that completing path before eating is the best way to get pakha in your Nitnem. Knowing that you can't eat until you have finished a certain path will certainly make you want to finish that path right away. After we eat and go back to sleep after amritvela, Maya seems to just get more powerful as the day goes on, and it becomes harder and harder to do path as each minute of the day goes by.

Of course this not apply in emergency situations, but in a general sense, along with the mandatory rehit of not eating before finishing punj banian, its best to finish extended nitnem banian before you eat as well.
The story of 300 SInghs seems fabricated. Many times Kathavachiks get desperate and make up stories just to convince sangat. I strongly belive one should be dutiful when it comes to doing nitnem. They should drop a thousands things to do their nithem, but its simply ludricous to suggest puratan SInghs negeclted their fighting duties when under seige.

GUru Sahib has given us AMrit to make us sant siphai. He has given us bir ras banis so we have the courage to fight those who oppose the Guru. If we neglect these duties then the recitation of nitnem becomes a mere ritual. Only when we apply nitnem to our lives does one experience the blessings of nitnem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login