ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need advise regarding giving 10%

Posted by kaur0706 
I am writing this blog because there is this one thing which is really troubling my mind. It is affecting the quality of my life.

It was around the time, when I was in college. I use to hear a lot about giving 10% of what you earn for charity purposes. So, in my mind I decided to give 10% of what I will earn without giving it a much thought about 10% of what (GROSS OR  NET). 

Now, when I did get a full time job in 2009, it was tough for me to give 10% of what I was getting so I decided to take out all the necessary expenses such as living, eating and my student loans and all the other things which I thought were absolute necessity to survive. Then from the remaining portion I started to give off 10%. Meanwhile,I did speak to one of my friends about this and she also had a similar kind of approach  on this issue. So I got this satisfaction what I was doing was acceptable. Until one day I spoke to one of my other colleagues and she told me according to her faith you should give 10% of your gross income. It didn't make much sense to me because gross is not what you get into your pocket. How can you even give 10% of what you are not getting. Well, I did lot of research on this topic and I found there were lot of supporters on both the side of the coin: giving 10% on gross and net income. 

Now, my concern is that I am not sure what I promise at that time to God….I feel like I would have just thought that I will give 10% without thinking 10% of what. I am sure at that time for me 10% would be of what I get in my hand not my salary. Not giving much thought to taxes at that time.  

So, if that is what I thought and that is what I agree to…I should be ok to give that much to charity. But the thing which bother me is that what if at that time I meant 10% of my gross(neglecting the taxes). Is God going to get unhappy from me.?

I feel like I am becoming so extreme about all these things. I have this fear what if I meant 10% of my gross (without considering that we don't get taxes money in our hand), God will do something wrong to me. But Isn't that we all are children of God and God will judge me by my intentions. He is the one who gives us everything.  So how wont be that nitty and gritty about this thing. I just want to come in terms with myself that I am doing what I can within my capabilities. I am giving 10% of what I am getting which is what I must have thought at the first place. I am sorry God if I meant 10% of my gross. I feel like I need to stop myself from thinking to this extreme, otherwise I will go crazy. Whatever I am doing I should do it cheerfully because ultimately thats what he wants….to be happy about what you  give. He is not going to punish me….he is like our parents. As our parents will not punish if we are not doing anything perfectly. They will be happy of the fact that at least we are trying best to our capabilities.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I remember this question came in the Amrit Sanchar, at that time Panj Payarey ordered sangat to pay 10% of your income ( meaning the pay check you get-after deductions). My understanding is , lets say your earning is $100, out of which 25% is deducted in (state,401k,medical and fedral) ,maybe you are also contributing towards stock, lets say 5%. so lets say after deductions you are getting $70, then minimum you should contribute towards daswandh is $7 ( 10%).

Lets say you get some bonus or you sell your stocks, whatevee you get in hand (bonus/stock money), again use 10% towards daswandh.This is how this *moorakh* understands. Bhai Faujai Singh shaheed use to give 90% and use to keep 10% for his family. Don't feel bad, anyway, no one can give enough, as everything belongs to Guru Sahib. Who are we to give?

My piece of advice ...Try to *give* more and more beyond 10%, you will see, you will never be short of money.

Rest Bhenji Jio, Guru Sahib Knows Better. Don't worry much!!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh:

Dus Nakh Kar Jo Kaar Kaamavaai. Ta(n) Kar Jo Dhan Ghar Meh Aavai. Tis Te GurDasoundh [GurDasvandh] Jo Daie. Singh Souyas Boh Jag Mae Laie." - bracket is to confirm that the reference is for Dasvandh.

He must earn an honest living with the ten nails of his hand and bring that money home. He who then gives one tenth of these honest earnings to the Guru will be praised the world over.

The implication is that the money which you bring home is what the Dasvandh is subtracted from. Note that 401k and other investment will eventually be cashed out and that will be income and subject to Dasvandh as well.

[www.sikhitothemax.com]

More is always good...

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
Thanks a lot everybody. I feel much better.
Employment Income

For employment income, Daswandh is paid on bring-home net income after taxes. If your salary is $5000 a month and your tax related deductions are $1500 and your pay-cheque is $3500, then your monthly Daswandh is $350.

Business Income

In case you have a business, then your payable Daswandh is 10% of net income after business related expenses and taxes. It should be 10% of bring-home income, not revenue. In some businesses, where the profit margin is thin, the revenue can be much higher than the actual profit. The fair thing is to pay Dasvandh on net earnings (i.e. bring-home money).

There are some businesses, in which the revenue is say $100 and the expenses related to the sale are $95. In other words, you bought an item for $90, your overhead expenses are $5 and your sale price is $100. In such cases, if the Dasvandh is paid on the gross revenue, then it would amount to $10, which is double the actual money ($5) that this business is profiting. The business will go bankrupt in no time. Such business cannot be expected to pay Dasvandh on Revenue. The Dasvandh should be paid on the profit which is $5 in this case, and the Dasvandh would be 50 cents.

This is as per the Vichaar that Gursikhs in Toronto did, many years ago.

Please remember that the above is the minimum. There is no restriction on what you can give.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
During the times of the Gurus and even before the British came and started their tax system, India too had it's own tax system depending from area to area. The one popular system of tax was known as Chauth during the Misl period where the 25% was taken away as tax. Even so, in that case Sikhs still gave Daswand, and I'm assuming it was from the take home income.
Thanks Akko of you for reply.
Gurfateh jeeo.

One's net income is decided after taxes have been deducted. However, for some a voluntary pension which you CHOOSE to pay into is also deducted every month before getting the net income.

Should you add that pension deduction back into your salary before calculating dasvandh, or do you calculate dasvandh after voluntary pension has been deducted?

Please advise.
Re: Need advise regarding giving 10%
November 25, 2013 05:39PM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Given the above, pensions can have their allocation of dasvandh contributed when they are being withdrawn from, as that is your retirement income.
Keep it simple whenever you get paid or bring money home, stick at least 10% in a separate account, from where you can distribute dasvandh. this takes care of all salary, divedends, pensions, drawings from businesses, sale of businesses etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login