ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Straight or curved edges?

Posted by Manmander Singh 
Wahegurujeekaakhalsa Wahegurujeekeefateh

The paragraph below is from: ANNOUNCEMENT: Amrit Sinchaar Samagam in Toronto 07.31.2011

2. Wear Gurmukhi Baana with White Hazooriya. Males should not wear Pajaami while females should wear Pajaami. The Kurta (straight cut not rounded corners) or Chola must be at least knee length. Bibiyaan who want to wear a suit, must ensure that the suit is plain and has no embroidery (kadhaaee) on it.

What is the importance of straight edges compared to curved edges?

Wahegurrooo
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The original way was straight corners and lower than knees. The innovation is rounded corners, no kaliyaan and higher than knees. When you start deviating, even small bit, over the years, small changes add up and the tradition ends up becoming totally different thing. As an example, first dastaar came off and only Keski was left, then the Keski also became smaller, then came Patka, then topi on Patka and then haircut. Once you start making changes to the tradition, then its a slippery slope with no stopping.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo

So this is more of keeping to tradition rather than rehit?
Re: Straight or curved edges?
July 30, 2011 07:57AM
SGPC have stated in the Rehat Maryada for Sree Darbar Sahib ragees, granthis etc that it should be straight cut corners and have kaliyaan on chola/kurta. I personally feel straight cut looks better as well too.
Rounded corner ones are usually worn by Pakistanis and Afghani men. Thought straight corner has recently become popular among them. But traditionally, round corner ones was inseparable from their kameez along with baggy salwar.

You can see all puratan pictures of Bhai Sahib and his companions. None wore rounded corner ones.

Chota veer
A kurta, is seemingly a mini chola in some ways.

Now imagine round cholay for a second ? Impossible right ?

In the same way, these kurtay or taksaalee cholay should be straight with kaliyaan.

so one can take off pajaamee to do sevaa, while still having a mini chola to cover knees and kaliyaan for sides.
Hmmm there go all my kurtai! Lol
Just wear cholay. I'm not a big kurtaa fan. Although they are better in terms of going to school and stuff.

Keertan and gurmat programs wise, wear cholay singhon, and bheno
Bhai Upkaar Singh jeeo, in that case do you know any good tailors/ websites where you get cholay from?
Depends where you live Singh Jee.

Most of mine a ready made ones from the common Store Sacha Sauda. I'm not too fond of them.

I have one very nice custom sewn one, which someone got from india.

My mom is going to india in 2 months. I'm going to send with her, one perfect kurta, one perfect chola, and one perfect kechara, and one fatuii for her to get them copied from a tailor there. She won't know otherwise, hehe.

Otherwise, you can buy the cloth and material from fabricland or a desi store, and ask somebody who knows the sewing process, there are many sisters, and even singhs out there, that can sew good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login