ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hands whilst doing matha tekh

Posted by Manmander Singh 
Wahegurujeekaakhalsa Wahegurujeekeefateh

Silly question time: Daas has noticed many Sikhs whilst doing matha tekh they have their palms facing upwards whilst their forehead touches the floor. I was always under the impression that one should have their palms touching the floor. Does it matter from gurmat sense which way your palms are facing?

What is Sangats view?

Ps yes I know "stop looking at people doing matha tekh!!" lol
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I am with palms downward, Veer. But once a friend told me, upward palms are a better begging posture. He told me to do like that.
I have even seen Singhs folding hands together during matha tek...

I think its all about Pyaar and Shardha more than anything else... In the end this is what matters..
I always used to have palms faced upwards, but then one Singh told me that palms downwards means you are touching Gurujee's feet. Another meaning of palms downwards he said means asking Gurujee for the ability to always give, whereas palms upwards means you are asking to always keep on asking. But either ways, I personally feel its on your state of mind and what you are feeling at that instant. If you are thanking Him, it can be downwards, if you are begging which we should, they tend to be upwards.

Maybe other Gurmukh piyaare can guide us all?
WJKK ,WJKF KHALSA JI , IF u have SANTOKH then your palms was in down position and always placed it in down position.Because Guru ji make his khalsa data not mangta.Hey waheguru always bless your khalsa with SANTOKH DAAN. bhag heen bhram chotan khave.
From what we have learned in the Sangat of Gursikhs, Matha-tek constitutes the following:

1. Walk into Guru-Darbar, with utmost humility, wearing Gurmukhi Baana. It is lack of fear and respect for Guru Sahib to not wear Baana in Guru Sahib's Darbar. Similarly, to is extremely awkward to not wear a Hazooria when coming to the Darbar. Matha-tek is not complete without Hazooria.

2. While walking towards, Guru Sahib, the eyes should be fixed upon Guru Sahib or half closed and focused towards the floor in front of Guru Sahib.

3. If one is wearing a shawl or loyee, then it should be opened from front, so that the Shasters (weapons) that Gursikh is wearing, are visible to Guru Sahib.

4. With humility, stand in front of Guru Sahib and do a short Ardaas.

5. At the conclusion of the Ardaas, do Matha-tek, get up and say Fateh to Guru Sahib, by facing Guru Sahib alone.

6. After saying Fateh to Guru Sahib, turn on right (or left) and glancing (having Darshan) of Sangat, say Fateh to Sangat. Then turn on the other side and say Fateh to Sangat on that side, while having Darshan.

7. Then find a spot and with humility, fear and love of Guru Sahib and Sangat, sit there cross-legged.

Expanding on the point 5 above, the following should be kept in mind, while Matha-tek.

1. With both hands folded, hold your Hazooria within your hands.

2. At least 9 Angs (organs) of the body must touch the ground - 2 Hands, Forehead, 2 elbows, 2 knees and 2 feet.

3. The hands should be extended as much as possible, straight ahead and they should stay folded with Hazooria within them.

4. The forehead should be touching the ground.

5. The bottom (butts) must rest on the heel of the feet. The feet should be flat on the ground in such way that the front (upper side of the feet) should be lying flat on the ground. Some people have their bottom sticking up in the sky; this is not respectable. When a person is in Matha-tek Position, he should be totally shrinked towards the ground.

6. While in this position, which is also called Anjuli in Gurmat language, it is a great idea to ask for Naam, through some Gurbani Pankiti e.g. "Phirat Phirat Prabh aaiya, Pariya tau Sharnaae||".

Guru Sahib knows the best.

Kulbir Singh
vjkk vjkf

Please could you explain how to recite a short ardaas. Sorry if this is a very basic question. I didnt realise that there was a short version of the ardaas?

vjkk vjkf
Many times, when one is doing Ardaas at personal level, one does Ardaas up to 10 Guru Sahibaan + Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee and then do Benti. This can be called a short Ardaas. In Sangat, at conclusion of Samagam, full Ardaas is done.

Kulbir Singh
I know Muslims pray/beg in this way and don't know many Sikhs that do.

Some rare souls like to perform dandaut. I've only seen this being done a few times and these Singhs keep their hands facing down.

ਕਰਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਅੰਜੁਲੀ ਪੁਨੁ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
करि साधू अंजुली पुनु वडा हे ॥
Kar sāḏẖū anjulī pun vadā he.
Greet the Holy Saint with your palms pressed together; this is an act of great merit.

ਕਰਿ ਡੰਡਉਤ ਪੁਨੁ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
करि डंडउत पुनु वडा हे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Kar dand▫uṯ pun vadā he. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Bow down before Him; this is a virtuous action indeed. ||1||Pause||
Anonymous User
Re: Hands whilst doing matha tekh
June 27, 2011 10:14AM
Good topic Bhai Manmander Singh jeeo.

GurSikhs have told me that if your palms face downwards you are bowing to Guroo and touching Guroo's Charan. If your palms are up then you are asking for something every time you see Guroo!
The bottom (butts) must rest on the heel of the feet. The feet should be flat on the ground in such way that the front (upper side of the feet) should be lying flat on the ground. Some people have their bottom sticking up in the sky; this is not respectable. When a person is in Matha-tek Position, he should be totally shrinked towards the ground.

Veer Ji is it so must. I tried it, it is painful.

Do we find details about this posture ANJULI in MAHAKOSH?
MB Singh jeeo, not sure if this description is found in Mahankosh or not, but senior Gursikhs have suggested this posture when Matha-teking. I will post a picture or two, soon.

And it may be painful for the ones who have Gogad (pot-belly) sticking out, hehe! They should try as much as they can. What else can be said? winking smiley

As for whether it is must or not, the butt should rest on the heel because otherwise it is not within the confines of Gurmat modesty, especially now a days when even Bibiyaan are coming to Gurdwara wearing un-modest dress - pant-kameez.

Kulbir Singh
Vaheguru! Thanks so much Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo! I always say Fateh WHILE doing matha tek sad smiley . Now I realize it is to be said while FACING Guru Sahib as we stand AFTER matha tek. Thanks again!
People that are wearing pant-kameez look very very bad when matha tekhing, so putting your butt to your heels is mandatory.
I think that gupt khalsa is right!
when bibis or men wear pant and then matha thek its hard for them to matha thek!

dass
khalsaji
Gurmukhi way of Matha Tek - Feet are resting on the ground and notice how the body is totally submissive by being close to the ground, as much as possible:

In the picture below, notice the Feet are not resting on the ground and butt not resting on heels; how awkward it looks.

Of course the main thing is Bhaavnee and love but Izhaar-e-Muhabbat is also important. While Adab (respect) is important but Izhaar-e-Adab is also important.

Some brothers and sisters only Matha-tek to Guru Sahib and totally ignore the Sangat by not saying Fateh to Sangat. Our tradition is to to say Fateh to Guru Sahib and also to acknowledge Sangat by saying Fateh.

Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh

That place in the above photo looks familiar, as well as the Singh doing Matha Tek.
Thank you to all those who have replied!! Esp Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo with textual breakdown of how to do matha tekh as well as providing the picture for those who found it hard to visualise the points being made.

smiling smiley
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 3. If one is wearing a shawl or loyee, then it
> should be opened from front, so that the Shasters
> (weapons) that Gursikh is wearing, are visible to
> Guru Sahib.

Can you expand on this point? I don't understand why shaster would need to be visible to Guru Sahib.
The best way is to do dandaut spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
i was told that we should have our palms facing downward when matha teking and that we should not have our palms facing upwards b/c muslims pray with thier palms facing upwards.
Re: Hands whilst doing matha tekh
July 04, 2011 05:54PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ke Fateh

If you come to mahraaj's darbar with ultimate prem, ultimate bhavnaa , ultimate love , full concentration, full focus on mahraj SGGS- would it matter how your PHYSICAL stance was compared to you INNER sense of peace at being with Mahraaj and seeking darshan??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login