ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking Steps Towards Sikhi

Posted by Namaskaar 
Taking Steps Towards Sikhi
February 20, 2010 02:48PM
Now im no amritdhari so im preety new to sikhi so what steps do you think would be best in growing spritualy? Like i dont think i would be able to do like a 2 hr amritvela just like that and nitnem in a day so maybe someone could provide some steps to grow into sikhi? Many people usualy have interest in sikhi but usualy never know where to start on there journey.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
When I first got into Sikhi I started waking up for Amrit Vela Naam Simran for only 15 minutes because thats all I could handle. Gradually the time increased with Guru Jis kirpa. I use to read life stories of Guru Sahib and many Gurmukhs and I found these to be extremely uplifting.

Sangat will help you in Amrit Vela and any other Sikhi related questions you might have.

I would also recommend you study Gurbani and rehatnamas. When I first took Amrit I was not aware of many things which could of helped my spiritual life.

Most important thing to do is be a beggar in Guru Jis court and he will help you in all the ways you could never imagine.
Re: Taking Steps Towards Sikhi
February 21, 2010 11:57AM
I think the foremost thing to do before entering Sikhi is to understand what you are getting into. Knowledge is power. If the foundation of one's Sikhi is knowledge and solid understanding of Sikhi, then nothing can shake one's Sikhi but if one gets into Sikhi following some person one admires, then one's Sikhi will be just as strong as that person's Sikhi is. For this reason, it is important to read some books on Sikh theology.

There is a saying in Punjabi that when one goes to buy even a simple clay pot, one examines it carefully; then how can one adopt a spiritual way of life, without first understanding it. I would strongly recommend Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee's Jail Chithiaan or its English translation as the beginning. This book will teach one about Sikh's way of life and what the ultimate aim of a Sikh is.

Once one is clear on what one is getting into, the next thing would be to practically do it. Starting to read baani is something one should do early one. Siri Jap jee Sahib is of course the first Baani one should start reading. One should practice wearing the 5 Kakaars but before that one should give up intoxications and start eating vegetarian. Try sleeping early and getting up early. This way get a feel of what Sikhi is.

Ultimately, one's real journey begins only when one takes Amrit and start Japping Naam. The most difficult rehits and standards of Sikhi become easy after japping Naam. This daas did paath of 5 Baanis for the first time only after taking Amrit. Before that I had never read even Siri Jap jee Sahib. Amrit has such power that it does not allow one to falter. It is very strong.

Good luck to you and welcome to Sikhi!

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login