ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Amrit' for new born baby

Posted by Preetraj 
'Amrit' for new born baby
July 09, 2014 01:43PM
Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh!

Can someone detail the procedure for making 'gurti' / 'Amrit' for new born baby?

Can it be made ok advance and stored or does it have to be made on the day?
How is it best to give to the newborn? Off the tip of a Kirpan?

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Additionally, I have also heard Hindus use the word 'gurti' in the same context.

It would be good if someone could shed further light on this - as to whether it is a 'borrowed concept' or not?

And if you plan to take the newborn to an Amrit Sanchar as soon as feasible, does this gurti still need to be given?

How can an individual, a mere mortal, give amrit? Amrit is given by Panj Pyaare! With the exception of Prem Sumarg( I think)there is no mention of this method in any of the old rehatname. Much of the maryada of Prem Sumarg have been tampered with and some of the inserts origiante from Sanatan beliefs I think this practice of making gurti orignates from Sri Hazoor Sahib . During the 20th century, women were discouraged from taking full ( proper) Amrit; instead, Sikh women were encouraged to take chula because it was believed that women didnt have the determination nor capacity to keep rehat. The chula of those times was different from todays chula. In those times a male sikh ( just one) would get a bata put water inside the bata and recite Sri Japji Sahib while mixing the water with his kirpan and this was given as chula.

Eventually babies were given this type of chula but it was called gurti. The correct maryada which has been practiced from the Gurus time for couples blessed with a new baby is:
1. Come into the Hazoori of Sri Guru Granth Sahib JI
2. Have Degh Prepared
3. Do ardas, and receive Akhar for new borns name
4. Thank Waaheguru ,pass out degh to sangat, and conclude with kirtan of celebrating childs birth. Kirtan can be done before and/or after receiving childs name.

I noticed this maryada is rarely practiced nowadays. When baby is born couples rarely give out degh to sangat after taking name of baby, and many take the name by themsleves instead of in presence of sangat.
The maryada of making and giving gurti is written by Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale and many Sikhs from different Jathebandiyan practice it. Gurti should not be confused with Khande Pahul because it has no comparison to it. Gurti basically means the first serving to the child and traditionally a Gursikh prepares gurti by reading Siri Jap jee Sahib in sweet water. The gurti as we have seen is given through the edge of a Sarbloh Kirpan. There seems to be no harm in giving gurti to a child like this, rather there seems to be benefits only because what better thing to serve to a child first time than sweet water mixed while reciting Gurbani. There is no brahmanvaad in this practice because it's not an empty ritual but has spiritual benefits due to Gurbani recitation. Furthermore, it's believed the good qualities or Sanskaars of the Gursikh giving gurti are received by the child. This is something that we have experienced very prominently.

Once the child and mother are able, they should come to Sangat and request for Naam Sanskaar i.e. naming the child. Degh is prepared in such Diwans for sure and Ardaas for thanking Guru Sahib and for Naam Sanskaar is performed. The child should be named with the first alphabet of the Hukamnama Sahib. The correct maryada is to name the child there and then. The Sangat should suggest names for the child and with the collective agreement of the parents and Sangat, the child is named by the Granthi Gursikh. Degh is served after the Naam Sanskaar.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
Though their is no harm in the practice of gurti still its not a puratan maryada. This is a new age maryada which was practiced during the the late 19th-20 Century amongst some Gursikh couples. Giani Gurbachan SIngh Ji mentions how this practiced was used on Sant Sunder Singh Ji by his parents. Even though the practice is not anti-gurmat it still shouldnt be regarded as Gurmat Maryada meaning Gursikh parents must practice it on new born , nor should gurti be regarded as Amrit.
Re: 'Amrit' for new born baby
July 10, 2014 11:18AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Process:

[www.damdamitaksaal.org]

Agreed with Bahi Kulbir Singh - a Gursikh spoke of how when he was ill, his father would take a glass of water, read Japji Sahib and swirl his Kirpan in that water and the power of Gurbani would make it a medicine. Gurbani's Paras Kala will always have an effect, so such a ceremony will only serve to bestow the Guru's blessings on the child.
VJKK VJKF,

The maryada of giving gurti to a new born has always been practiced in my family, however, due to ignorance I have seen many variations on this practice. As Bhai Kulbir Singh has said, I don't see anything wrong with getting the aseesa(n) of a Gursikh in this manner. In our family, we look for a Gursikh family member/family friend to prepare the gurti.

The variation that most concerns me is what happens to the gurti after it has been to the newborn. My understanding is that five drops are given to the newborn from a sarbloh kirpan and then the mother drinks the rest. In some instances, I have seen the gurti be distributed amongst the gathered sangat and labelled as 'Amrit' (some members of the sangat then express concern that they will have to keep some sort of rehat at taking the gurti!). In some instances gurti is not prepared in the Hazoori of Guru Sahib, and in some Degh is not even prepared (substitued by the gurti). Damdami Taksal have detailed the preparation of gurti as follows:

"As soon as is possible after the birth-Amrit is to be prepared in the following way:

An Ardas (prayer of supplication) is performed before the start of the ceremony
An Amritdharee Singh should get a Sarab Loh bowl and half fill it with water.
Five patase should be added to the water
This mixture is to be continuously stirred with a Kirpan
During the stirring, the Singh is to recite Japjee Sahib from memory and is to sit in the ‘Bir-Asan’ position, a Warrior stance.
Once the Japjee Sahib recital is complete the Amrit is ready and an Ardas is to be performed and then the Amrit can be administered.
Your Spiritual Father is Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee;
Your Spiritual Mother is Mata Sahib Kaur Jee;
Your Place of Birth is Takhat Sri Kesgarh Sahib, Sri Anandpur Sahib;
Your Maternal home (Nanakee) is Guru Ka Lahore;
Your Obedience is to the One Timeless Lord;
Your only Guru is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee.
You are not to bow or obey any other as your Guru;
Your examination is only via the Shabad and Gurbani;
Five drops from the tip of the Kirpan are to be given to the child and the mother is to drink the rest of the Amrit. This is the first ceremony of initiation of a child into the Khalsa Panth (Sikh Nation).

The mother is then to breast-feed the child, from this the child should become virtuous, a warrior, saintly, charitable and a vibrant Gursikh. Enacting any other sort of birth rites/ceremony is not allowed in Gurmat; for example lucky charms or strings tied on the child’s wrist or around his/her neck. To break all superstitions a Sarab Loh Kara is to be placed on the child’s right-hand wrist. Drinking alcohol and eating meat whilst celebrating the birth of a child is a grave sin.

After the above ceremony, Karah Parshad is to be prepared and an Ardas recited in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. The child’s name is based on the first letter of the Hukamnama taken from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee.

If possible on the same day a Sehaj Paath should be started. The child and his/her mother should listen to the whole Paath. At the Bhog (completions of recital) Guru ka Langar is to be served to the Sadh Sangat (Holy Congregation)."

Above extract taken from: http://www.damdamitaksaal.org/code-of-conduct#h1-birth-ceremony-janam-sansakar-first-ceremony
So it would seem like the overall consensus is that it is advisable to give gurti to the child.

As per the extract provided by Navroop Singh it seems that the Gurti should be prepared in front of Guru Maharaj Ji. I was under the impression that it should be given to the child as the first thing that they have? Even before milk.

Could some advice be given whether or not this Gurti can be prepared a day or two before the supposed birth date?
Anyone?
July 16, 2014 06:41PM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The above should provide some clarification to the question of preparing before:

"As soon as is possible after the birth-Amrit is to be prepared in the following way..."

Some Gursikhs do this, others go to the soonest Amrit Sanchar and present the child in front of the Punj Pyare, some do both (Gurti ASAP and Amrit Sanchar ASAP after that, unless the Amrit Sanchar happens to be very close to the childbirth). I am not sure that you would be able to wait prior to breastfeeding - that needs to happen very soon after birth.

Outside of giving birth at a Gurdwara Sahib or if you are fortunate enough to have Parkash of Guru Sahib at home and give birth at home, there will probably be some time that elapses before the child is given this blessing. Nothing is stopping the parents from doing Naam Simran and Gurbani paath in the meanwhile with the child.
I think Bhatt Vahis speak of this practice. I will have to look through it to find how long back it goes.
Bhai Guriqbal Singh Ji recommends Gurti ASAP after birth, but details a slightly different process than that described above.

This blogpost covers Bhai Sahib Jee's recommendations and why Gurti is important.

I know this is an old post, but it still pops up when people search for this topic. That's why I figured it'd be best to share this information on this same thread. smiling smiley
September 01, 2018 12:57AM

Bhai Guriqbal Singh Ji recommends Gurti ASAP after birth, but details a slightly different process than that described above.

This blogpost covers Bhai Sahib Jee's recommendations and why Gurti is important.

Sakhee Kaur Ji

The concept of "waiting until 40 days" is definitely a superstition. There are also some other points in your blog which are somewhat misleading. I request you to post your thoughts here directly instead of posting links to your blog, so that discussion (if needed) can be initiated in an organized manner.
September 02, 2018 02:24PM
Gurti means the first food given to a baby. Typically, it was made from Gurh (raw brown sugar lump), and hence the name Gurti. Gurti is a secular practice all religions/communities in Punjab call it gurti. In fact the practice is not limited to humans, on the farms even new born calves are given some gurh to encourage them to start suckling.

Taking amrit is a very special wilful action by the person taking amrit. Guru's mehar happens only if the person has a yearning and a thirst for amrit. On the other hand a baby has no say in the gurti. There is no link between the two. Personally, I would be extremely uncomfortable trying to turn gurti into a "mini-amrit".

Sikhs are required to remember God at every possible moment. If you wish to give first event the rangat of gurmat, I suggest that rather than focusing on the action and the physical and turning it into a ritual, I would do simran and thank the Guru while administering the first food to the baby.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, waheguru ji ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login