ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions for women who wear turban

Posted by admin 
Questions for women who wear turban
December 24, 2009 09:52AM
We are working on writing a book on turban-wearing Sikh women and would appreciate if our sisters and daughters who wear dastaar could answer the following questions based on their personal experience:

1) How did you feel spiritually after wearing Dastaar?

2) What was the reaction of Sikhs you met at Gurdwaras and other places? Did they treat you any different from the time you did not wear a dastaar? Was the treatment negative or positive?

3) What was the reaction of non-Sikhs who knew you from before you were wearing dastaar?

4) What was the reaction of non-Sikhs who did not know you from the time you were not wearing dastaar?

5) Please share any interesting stories or conversations you had about dastaar after you started wearing it.

In case you would not like to post your answers here in public, please send an PM (private message) to the admin to by clicking "Private Message" on the top right corner. At your request, your information would be kept private.

Admin
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
1) it feels like guru sahib is holding my head in his hands. it reminds me every day that i'm a daughter of guru gobind singh sahib ji and i better act like one!

2) being a white sikh, i probably had a different experience in gurdwaras. before i wore a dastaar, people looked at me like an impostor. like i didn't belong there. they would stare and whisper as i walked by. they didn't take me seriously as someone who was interested in sikhi. after i started wearing a dastaar all of that changed. they realized i was serious about sikhi and treated me a lot better. however, as the only dastaar wearing singhni in my town, i did get a lot of weird looks and questions from sikh children, who wanted to know "why is that lady wearing a pagh?" smiling smiley

3) my (non-sikh) parents asked me, "do you HAVE to wear it?" my response, "i don't HAVE to, but i WANT to. it's a gift, a blessing."

4) people in my town are really nice about it. they're curious, asking polite questions. i've had more than one random stranger tell me i look like a princess or a queen in my dastaar. the most common question i get is probably, "why don't other sikh women wear it?" that always leaves me at a loss... i simply don't know the answer. why don't they wear it?

5) can't think of one in particular. i guess they're all interesting conversations. i'll get back to you on this one. smiling smiley
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login