ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

News for Gurmukhs and News for Worldly People

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Gursikhs and worldly people have different priorities and aims in life; therefore, different kinds of events and news sadden them or make them happy. A worldly person gets very excited when he sees an advertisement that can save him few dollars. He then excitingly talks to all his friends and relatives how he saved so many dollars and got something cheap. It's fine to buy something within one's limits but to get excited and extremely happy over saving a few dollars is not the way of Gurmukhs and by the same token loss of some money or other worldly possession doesn't dampen their spirits.

The newspapers are full of such news and matters that seem trivial to Gursikhs and by the same token, spiritual stories and articles that very much excite Gurmukhs, seem boring to worldly people.

Below are examples of some kinds of news that excite or sadden worldly people but have no effect on Gurmukhs. Similarly there are also examples further below of such news that would excite or sadden Gurmukhs but would have no effect on worldly people.

Exciting News for Worldly People

Govt. tax cuts to save $1000 for each family.

Burrows quick OT goal lifts Canucks to 2-0 series lead

xyz (a superstar actor) coming to Toronto to promote his latest movie.

Depressing News for Worldly people

Oil prices going up.

xyz Party wins elections.

Walmart coming to a small town in Canada.

Exciting News for Gursikhs

Gurmukh Singh attains Jyot Vigaas.....

Gursikhs in East London decide to get together at Amritvela for Naam Abhyaas.

X number of Gurmukhs sat through Ran Subaaee Kirtan and had immeasurable bliss.

10 Jeevs (people) today got accepted by Punj Pyare and became Amritdharis.

50 Gursikhs who were previously weak in Rehit have become strict in Rehit.

Sad News for Gursikhs

A Gursikh today got up at 3am and missed 1 hour of Amritvela.

A Gursikh today fell prey to Kaljug and became weak in Rehit.

Many people, due to the influence of Kaljug, are turning away from Dharma.

Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee. May Guru Sahib set our priorities right.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I would have to disagree on some points. One shouldn't really be worried or 'sad' about anothers amritvela or rehit necessarily.
haha and the comparison is funny because such 'news' is not discussed or reported by Gurmukhs (hopefully not) So and so missed an hour of amritvela, or he does or that.

And Borrows scoring a OT goal is not news of excitement. Particularly if you are from Toronto or Calgary/Edmonton area.

One shouldn't really be worried or 'sad' about anothers amritvela or rehit necessarily.
haha and the comparison is funny because such 'news' is not discussed or reported by Gurmukhs (hopefully not) So and so missed an hour of amritvela, or he does or that.

When you do Abhyaas together with Gursikhs, you are Kurbaan at the Humsafars with whom you do Abhyaas. If someday, one of your Amritvela companions, comes late, you do feel the lateness of your companion. Same way, you are concerned about the well being of your fellow Gursikhs. If they are happy, you are happy and if they are sad or become a bit weak in Sikhi, you become concerned.

The idea behind the post was to highlight the point that Gursikhs and worldly people have different set of priorities because their aims are different.

Kulbir Singh
Singh jee, While Daas agrees with your points. There also comes an state or an avastha you can call it where, Dukh and Sukh become the same. Whatever HIS Bhana is(dukh or sukh), whatever that is pleasing to Piara Jee, is where our Sukh lies in. Chatrik has observed this unwavering state in gursikhs whose surte is attached to Naam 24/7 .

But , Bhai Sahib does write in Jail Chittian that on the first night he was incarcerated into jail. When he say Baba Raam Singh(Rangley Sajjan) in old age & in poor condition in the opposite jail cell. His unwavering state of mind for years was hit by sadness.

Chota veer
Oddly enough, I remember a time where I had no interest in Sikhi whatsoever. I would rarely discuss it with anyone. When i started going to school I met another Singh friend, who was basically like me, barely cared about Sikhi. Anytime we met though, for some reason we couldn't discuss anything except Sikhi. It was strange, bringing up a worldy topic would just be weird. Yet anytime another Gursikh joined us we would discuss normal worldy issues again. Thanks to discussions with this Singh I became more interested in Sikhi. One topic that was always most appreciated and amazing was when we discussed stories about Mahapurkh's meeting one another (i.e when Bhai Sahib met Sant Attar Singh, Baba Gurbachan Singh or any other Mahapurkh's meeting one another). Still now, these are my favorite "news" stories of them all.
It is in fact a saddening situation if one Gurmukh Pyara does not show up for Amritvelaa Naam Abyiaas. Think of it as Degh: ir is one less Naam-roopi Gaffa of Degh that we all lose for each Singh wjo doesn't show up. On the flip side, if the Singh did show up, but was late; then accumulates to still getting the extra Gaffa of Naam Roopi Degh, but far less in quantity. Meaning, when Gutrsikhs get together at Amritvela and do Naam Abhyiaas together, the Sweet Russ of Naam they attain during those ambrosial hours, they distribute among their peers sitting with them also doing Abhyiaas, and vice versa. Just how Degh is sweet, Naam too is very sweet.

Got it Sher jeeo?
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ke Fateh

All good and well , but the comparisons are need to go further as Kulbir Singh Jeeo especially on things like:

1. Worldly affairs -
2. Worldly seva
3. Contributions to the countries where we are living at present.
4. 27 years since 1984 holocaust -- the victims in India - widows colony-- their parvaars - their well being finally getting support - if so how much- where is the future for them
5. 27 years on - we have new Gurdwara being built with gleaming marble -- but not as much help to the 84 victims -

A real note to be remeber especially on Guru Arjan Dev Jee's shaeedi purb which was very recent - it was at a time when there was a black death on lahore and at the same time Harmandar Sahib was being built- Guru Arjan Dev jee advised all the daswand to goto lahore to help the victims instead of bulding Harimandar Sahib- to which the Sikhs at the time asked - why Mahraj Harminadar Sahib is being built money is more important heere isn't it?? to which Guru sahib replied "It's more important to help the victims of death in Lahore -- building Harimandar is only worth doing if at first we help the ones who are dying so they can visit Harimandar in the future are alive.

The list is endless as the challange for Khalsa to bring about change in the world is also very high.
Sree Sukhmanee Sahib vs Video Game

Some time ago, I was travelling back from work. I was sitting by the window and was trying to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib. I was doing paath and at the same time my second mind was thinking all sort of stuff. Paath was going on but the second mind was analysing how my day had gone by. Then it started thinking about a material aspiration that was hidden inside my mind. Then I looked around and where ever my eyes looked, a furna (thought) was born.

Across from me a gentleman was sitting. He was also sitting by the window. I was on one side of the train by the window and he was on the other side, parallel to me, by the window. He was holding a small computer like object and was very keenly looking at it. Every now and then he pressed buttons in great haste. It did not take me long to realise that he was playing some sort of video game.

It takes me about 45 minutes in train to travel home from work. In this time, sometimes I take a small nap and at other times do paath. This particular day, I was behind in my paaths and thought of doing paath instead of taking a nap. I was trying hard to concentrate but there was too much distraction. Besides, my mind had been polluted from all day of work and staying in maya. It normally takes half an hour or so of baani paath to cleanse the mind and have it focussed on baani.

The guy playing video game was so keen on playing it that he hardly blinked his eye. His posture stayed unchanged.

All of sudden a thought flashed in my mind. A voice inside me told me, "Kulbir Siyaan sharam kar. Tere naalo taan ih gora changa hai. ghato ghat uh focussed taan hai. tere kol taan koi focus nahi". (O Kulbir Siyaan, this person sitting next to you is much better than you, even though he is playing a video game and you are doing paath. At least he has more focus than you do).

I notice this everyday in my life. Manmukhs have more focus doing manmukhi stuff than I have doing gurmukhi stuff like paath and simran. Here are some recent examples I have observed:

1) Soccer fans were more focussed watching their favourite teams play, than I was doing paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib the ultimate bliss-giving baani.

2) Soccer fans got more high after watching their team win than I did after doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib.

3) A premi couple were locked in each others eyes totally oblivious of the surroundings. They did not care if people were looking at them. I was in the same park doing paath. I was aware of my surroundings. I saw the premi couple and felt ashamed that I don't have this kind of relation with my Vaheguru. Why am I not lost in the Pari-chehra of my Pritam as this couple.

The ultimate reality is that we will have to stop our mind from going out of the 9 doors and will have to focus it on Shabad in order to find the divine tenth door. There are no short cuts. We will have to do the hard work of concentrating our mind. No way out. It's up to us whether we do it in this janam or in the next janams. The problem with next janam is that we don't know if we will be entitled to a human form next janam.

The object of the pleasure in the first example I gave was a video game. Siri Sukhmani Sahib gives far more rass than any video game. Its just matter of delving into it. The need of the hour is to realise that the rass of worldly pleasures is shortlived but the rass of Bani and Naam is everlasting. The rass of Gurbani and Naam will give us both fun and also help us in the next world. The worldly rass many times brings punishments. The worldly rass many times is inethical and immoral. The Hari Rass is always sukhdaayee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Vaaheguru!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login