ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sikh Fiction

Posted by jsinghbooks 
Sikh Fiction
June 26, 2016 09:46PM
Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahegurooo Ji Ki Fateh!

I hope it's within the forum guidelines to post this here. I am an author and have been working on writing short stories which feature Sikh characters and Sikh themes and thought. The stories, although fiction, explore the Sikh model of the world, and make an attempt to introduce the reader to various aspects of Sikh philosophy and identity. The stories are mostly set in the modern world (i.e. in the present day and age), and the focus is on the characters and how they deal with life's challenges and the various situations that they find themselves in.

There were multiple reasons why I decided to begin writing in this genre, which (for lack of a better term), I am calling "Sikh Fiction". Two of the most compelling reasons for me were 1) in the body of fiction that exists today, there is a dire lack of Sikh characters, and 2) this is a unique opportunity to introduce the reader to aspects of Sikhi which they might not otherwise be exposed to.

If anyone would be interested in reading and providing some feedback, I would love to hear what you think. I have put up one of the stories (titled "Daani", posted as a Note), on my Facebook page. There are also links to other stories there. All of these are original works by me.

I can also post a story here if it is acceptable as per the forum policy.

Guru Fateh,
J. Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sikh Fiction
July 03, 2016 02:13AM
Bahut vadhiya uprala hai ji. Bhai Vir Singh Ji also used to write fiction and many other prominent writers used to do so. As long as the story weaves the Sikh principles, valor and glory, it is very acceptable. The book "Satwant Kaur", by Bhai Vir Singh Ji, is perfect example.

Writing stories in present context of modern time is a good effort. The western kids born in scientific age will connect to such stories and learn sikhi sidak at the same time. Not only that, the folks from non-sikh background will be able to know & appreciate Sikh philosophy.

Apart from good Writers, the other domain where there is a huge vacuum is "Sikh Art". There is lack of good painters and illustrators. The panth needs to establish a system & institutions to groom the talented Sikhs in these domains and support them financially or otherwise.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Re: Sikh Fiction
July 11, 2016 02:56PM
Thank you so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I agree that there is a lack of representation in Sikh Fiction, especially that which is truly reflective of Gurmat principles and practices. This is what I tried to address with my short stories. Although, I could never presume to be in the same league as the great Bhai Vir Singh Ji :-) He is a great inspiration.

Guru Fateh!
J. Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login