ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maya Food

Posted by Vaheguru's balak 
Maya Food
March 29, 2016 05:29PM
VJKK VJKF Sangat Jio!

How does one get rid of food cravings? I feel that when one experiences cravings, it is in a form of maya. I do not want to enjoy worldly things as I feel I should be only attaining happiness from Naam and Bani. I acknowledge that this is not a big issue as eradicating vikaars; however, I do not want food to be controlling my mood. For instance, when I am not feeling well or I have completed a task, I tend to indulge in unhealthy food.

Help karo ji.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Maya Food
March 29, 2016 06:11PM
One thing that helps me is eating healthy food and drinking water or milk when I have cravings. Like if I'm craving pakorey but I eat a banana and drink milk instead, then the craving and hunger both go away. Another thing I've noticed is that I have less cravings when I'm properly hydrated. Hope that helps.
March 29, 2016 07:56PM
As one increases Paath, Simran and Amritvela, less cravings and less Bikaars are natural side effects. There is no other sure way.

Kulbir Singh
March 29, 2016 08:14PM
Till the time one really starts getting the naam/Bani Rass and cravings start to die its natural death, there could be some hard stops to most of these foods that mostly and ultimately are show stoppers in the Bhagti.

Most unhealthy foods like Pizza, too much ghee items, too much sugar stuff are heavy for the body and lead to laziness. One can hard stop them as they feel they increase their sleep/hence find hard to get up. Lot of maida items will most of the time make you feel heavy to sit for long Rauls or keertans. Generally Gursikhs avoid eating many hours before the Akhand Sahib and Rain Sabhai keertans begin.
March 29, 2016 08:38PM

Most unhealthy foods like Pizza, too much ghee items, too much sugar stuff are heavy for the body and lead to laziness.

Vaheguru! Sahib Singh jee what are you talking about? Pizza and gheo are not bad foods. LOL! They help in Naam Abhyaas and you know that very well. Without gheo (Degh is one-third gheo), who can jap Naam? And as for Pizza, there is only one thing that Italians did good and that is Pizza. Khalsa has wholeheartedly adopted Pizza. Don't slander these heavenly foods. smileys with beer

Kulbir Singh
March 30, 2016 04:52AM
Gheo was good for Singhs who walked for miles and worked hard in fields under 50 degrees. Here in western countries, since we have no physical activities all Gheo sits in stomach, increasing weight and thus laziness. Yes for degh its fine. Yes i have seen Italians eating pizza in lunch breaks, at the most 1 slice with salads and all..do we stop there :: ? -). We start there, so yes maida uncontrolled is bad.
March 30, 2016 07:31AM
Gheo is good for all Singhs. If it had not been good, Guru Sahib would not have ordered it to be included as 1/3rd ingredient in Degh. If doctors hear that we eat two ghaphe of Degh a day, they would get a heart attack.

Kulbir Singh
March 30, 2016 09:35AM
Gheo is good by all means ji. The problem today is no physical exercise. Our elders had big targets for Gheo specially in Winters. They would talk in PEEPAs of Gheo for bhujangis specially in Winters. The good thing was young people were engaged in lot of physical activities so this Gheo will work on them like anything and make them iron. But now bhujangis eat and sleep so Gheo doesn't help for the good -)

I dont think Degh Gaffa will work bad on ones health. So no need to restrict the DEGH, Lot of Kirpa comes in it from Guru Sahib..!!
March 30, 2016 04:44PM
Even if I died from eating heavenly degh I would not mind so much haha! Sahib Singh is spot on, in the past Punjabi's did some serious toil and as a result were solid, high calorie diets were required and burned quickly. Singh's in present day are obese in comparison and way too soft. The advent of easy travel has not helped.

Naam will control cravings but if not at that level like I, try and limit the portion sizes and the other trick is to think about something completely different for 3-5 mins and they soon subside. Just drinking water is a good filler....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login