ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question on Gurmukhi Lipi

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

I was under the impression that Sri Guru Angad Dev Sahib Ji created the Gurmukhi lipi but I read in Giani Harbans Singh Ji's book that it is a misconception since the Bani of Patti written by Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji already write about the Gurmukhi alphabets which are based on Gurmukhi Lipi. It kind of made sense so thought of getting Sangat's advice on what are your thoughts.

WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Question on Gurmukhi Lipi
March 19, 2016 09:32AM
Apart from many books, there are 2 books which I remember to have been written by Pandit Kartar Singh Dakha, namely "Gurmukhi Hindi Da Taakra" and "Sri Guru Vyakaran Panchayan".

As far as I remember, in either of the book I have read that the Gurmukhi Alphabets were created by Sri Guru Angad Dev Sahib Ji Maharaj. I think it is in the book "Gurmukhi Hindi Da Taakra".

Dakha Ji had written this book to give a befitting reply to the article published in newspaper that Gurmukhi is just duplicated from Hindi. So Dakha Ji in his book explained the detailed history how Gurmukhi Alphabets were crafted by Sri Guru Angad Dev Sahib Ji Maharaj. If you have time it is worth read. It is available in PDL. I think even the URL to that book was posted in this forum sometime back.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
It totally makes sense to believe that Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee created the Gurmukhi lipi because He kept a Pothi of his Baani along with him, when he went to Udaasis. This is evident from Bhai Gurdaas jee's Vaar about Guru Sahib jee's Udaasi to Makka Medina and Baghdad, where he had a Kitaab (Pothi) and the Haajis asked Guru Sahib to check his "Kitaab" and let them know whether Hindu was greater or a Muslim.

Guru Sahib had written Baani with him and in order to write Gurbani, Guru Sahib must have used Gurmukhi. What else could He have used? It's possible that Siri Guru Angad Dev jee popularized Gurmukhi but it must have been invented by Guru Sahib jee.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Bhai Jaskirat Singh ji and Bhai Kulbir Singh Jio, I will try to update my poem to not add this point.

Bhai Kulbir Singh Jio - please help in reviewing the poem for Sri Guru Angad Dev Sahib Ji I emailed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login