ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about Abhyaas in Dream

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Daas would like to know Sangat's views on the following question:

Dream state is not a true state and stuff done in a dream is not counted as one's good or bad karma. In the light of this, is Gurbani Paath and Naam Abhyaas done while a person is sleeping i.e. done in dream, counted towards one's spiritual Kamaaee? In other words does such Gurbani Paath and Naam Abhyaas add to one's Laaha (profits) that one can take to the next world?

When answering the question, do mention the reason for your answer.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The same mind that exist while sleeping is the same mind
that exist while awake; thus, one is accountable for actions
committed during dreams. If we were not responsible for such
actions Guru Saihb would not give us the Hukum of avoiding
"Par estree" even in ones dreams ( CHaritro PakhyaN, Sri GUru Teg Bhadur Sahib JI). The average person spends a third of their life sleeping so we cannot claim thoughts and actions committed
in this state have no consequences.

GUru Sahib has also given us Hukum
to Jaap Naam while asleep.The greatest Hukum of
all is Naam Jaap and one who does this while body is sleep then
the mind will stay take laha.
ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਜਾਗਤ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਗਲ ਅਵਰਦਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Bhai Sahib jio,

When answering the question, do mention the reason for your answer.

ਜਾਗਨ ਤੇ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਭਲਾ ਬਸੀਐ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੰਗਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥yawning smiley (panna 816)
That dream is better than waking wherein which dwell with lord Waheguru.

With Regards,
Daas
My response would be be a little off topic jee, but here it goes.

Dasmesh Pitaa jee has given the Furmaan a Sikh is not to think dirty about a woman even in a dream, let alone thinking so while awake. That being said, it is understandable that in order to keep the mind away from negative currents and flow, one needs to engage in Naam Abhyiaas and Gurbaanee Paatth. Only then, will the mind not think about vikaars and will be attunned to Vaheguroo. That being said, the mind will automatically not go towards that direction while even in sleep. We as Sikhs have been given the Hukam to Japp Har Har Naam Aatth Pehar (24 hours). This would mean that even while in sleep, we are remain in the Charan Kamals of Paatshaah.

On the flip side, this seems to be another one of Bhai Sahib jee's tests on us. Hope I pass this one.
ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਹੂ ਬਰੜਾਇ ਕੈ ਜਿਹ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਕਸੈ ਰਾਮੁ ॥
Kabeer, if someone utters the Name of the Lord even in dreams,

ਤਾ ਕੇ ਪਗ ਕੀ ਪਾਨਹੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਤਨ ਕੋ ਚਾਮੁ ॥੬੩॥
I would make my skin into shoes for his feet. ||63||
Throughout the day, Guru Ji has given the hukam to remember Vaheguru through swas swas. Whenever our mind, which is fickle by nature, escapes, then we can bring it back to focus on naam.

However, when in a dream state how can we bring our mind back? We have no control. Therefore one that remembers Vaheguru in sleep, is truly a blessed individual.

It’s of such importance, that Bhagat Kabir Ji has gone to extent of saying he would cut his skin off and make shoes for that individual. This would advocate, to me, that it perhaps does have some profit in the next world.

It’s often said that whatever actions we engage in throughout the day, these are things we will end up having dreams of...If throughout the day, if we engage in simran, listening to kirtan and thinking of Vaheguru, it’s possible that some of this could come into our dreams.

Panj Pyare told us that we may have dreams, which could have some spiritual significance. However, hukam was not to discuss their relevance or meanings with other people. When an individual starts getting dreams related to Guru, abhiyas, or gurbani then one is progressing on the path.
Thanks for wonderful responses from Sangat.

The question was if Naam Abhyaas done in false state i.e. dream state add to our Laaha that we can take to the next world. Why does our Naam Abhyaas done in dream, gets added to our stock of Naam Kamaaee that we earn in this world?

The answer to this question is that whether dream state or so called awakened state, both are unreal but Gurbani says that Naam is Satt (True) and the one who chants/meditates Naam is Satt:

ਨਾਮੁ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਧਿਆਵਨਹਾਰ ॥

It is such a Qaramaat of Vaheguru that even though the world is false but Naam and Gurbani Paath done in this world is True and goes with the Jeev in the next world. Both awakened state and dream state are false as far as Sachkhandi reality is concerned but the Jeev is eternal and so is the Naam he is chanting. Therefore, the Naam/Gurbani recited in dream, while sleeping is counted towards one's spiritual Laaha to be taken to the next world.

Having said that, there are instances in which Guru Sahib has cut millions of Karma of Gursikhs through dreams only e.g. the Saakhi of king of Mandi whose next Janam was scheduled to be that of a Chandaal but because of Sangat he did in his existing life, Guru Sahib passed that whole Janam through a dream.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login