ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reasons for Shaheedi

Posted by gurs1kh 
Reasons for Shaheedi
December 06, 2015 08:32PM
We've all heard about the Shaheedis in Sikh History and how Sikhs have died for great causes.
Many Gursikhs have also mentioned that there will be a need for more Singhs to give their lives in the near future due to the current state of the Panth, especially since the problems from 1984 haven't even been resolved yet.
When thinking of this, I was wondering what exactly we can define as a just cause for Shaheedi. Seems to be a pretty straight-forward question, but I feel there are some complications to consider as well.
Bapu Surat Singh obviously has a great reason for being on hunger strike right now and is doing a great service to the Panth; but consider this scenario:

Hypothetically, if a Sikh was to consider giving up their life for the sake of the Panth, but he/she thinks that there is a possibility that his/her actions may not have the outcome that they hoped for, and that they could do more Seva for the Panth if they stay alive instead, he/she may be conflicted on what to do. He/she may also be concerned about personal things, such as their family.

From my understanding, it seems that the Sikh shouldn't think too much into these things because if you believe that everything is within Guru's Hukam, you shouldn't worry about things resulting differently from what you hope (ChintaaTaaKeeKeejeeyaiJoAnhoneeHoye). It is in Guru's Hukam that a person becomes a Shaheed and it is in Guru's Hukam what happens as a result of it.
Going back to Bapu Surat Singh, we cannot be sure what exactly will happen as a result of his hunger strike. Currently, we aren't seeing anything improvement from the Indian government side, but who knows how things will work out. But regardless of this, he is doing a great service to the Panth and we cannot let his actions be forgotten. If anything, his actions are aiding in waking up the Panth.
Similarly goes with the Shaheedis of Guru Sahib through the Beadbi of Guru's Saroops in India. All of the events that happened in the last few months have started to wake up the Panth, even though we may not be entirely awake yet. We are making great progress towards unity, but we aren't entirely there yet.
Going back to the hypothetical scenario, when it comes to personal concerns, we always hear a lot about how many Shaheeds put the needs of the Panth ahead of their personal needs and the needs of their families, so that's something to consider as well.

But again, the reason for the Shaheedi may be something to consider as well, which is why I ask the question:
what can we define as a just cause for Shaheedi?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Reasons for Shaheedi
December 08, 2015 01:54PM
Khalsa Ji puts up morcha after taking Hukamnama from Guru Sahib. Bapu Ji has put up morcha after he got appropriate Hukamnama.

If you have got furna then take Hukamnama and see if it is appropriate for you. This is what defines the cause.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Re: Reasons for Shaheedi
December 09, 2015 06:55PM
Thanks Jaskirat Singh Ji.
Your response is really reassuring and really helped answer my question.
Some may disagree because they don't put as much trust into Guru Ji's Hukamnama; but for me, your answer is exactly what I needed to hear and I agree 100%.
Thanks again.

|WaheguruJiKaKhalsa|
|WaheguruJiKiFateh|
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login