ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bhai Pal Singh – A personal reflection

Posted by Jagjit Singh 
Bhai Pal Singh is well known around the world for his charity work. He had been doing seva for many years in North America. My first meeting with Bhai Sahib was when he came to the UK. I was just attending a Sunday divan, and on the stage was invited this tall, elderly Singh in Gursikhi Bana. As he started speaking, you instantly notice the love in his voice and his enigmatic nature. He spoke with vigor and a wealth of knowledge of Gurbani. As I sat in the sangat, I realised I was not the only person who was highly impressed by this Gursikh. Everyone around me in the Darbaar Sahib was hanging on his every word.

After the divaan, I approached him to find out who he was. He was surrounded by a many from the sangat. I said “Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ke Fateh”…..he instantly grabbed me in a big bear hug, while he replied in Gurfateh. Indeed he left an lasting impression.

Over the next few months, I met Bhai Sahib on a number of occasions as he spoke an many venues in UK. It was clear this a highly intelligent person, who had so much love and compassion for humanity. Where ever he went, he attracted so many new people to Gursikhi, inspired by the wealth of Gurbani, knowledge of Naam, sincerity and practical jeevan.

It was clear this was not just a man who realised he had the responsibilities of the Khalsa Panth on his shoulders, but one who also had answers to the many questions the Khalsa Panth faces.

In Coventry, he inspired many at the Gurdwara. Regardless of the environment, he would be in his element. A confident speaker in universities, in front of press and media, amongst UK Sikh youth, or in a circle of elderly Sikh intellectuals. I remember on one occasion, when we attended the first SIkhi Camp run by BOSS, one morning Bhai Sahib was doing explanation of the hukamanama, he started in Punjabi, then some English, and then used the German and French language. It was quite amazing, that at a time when we barely came across an elder of that generation, who spoke eloquent English, here was an elder who had such amazing language skills.

Bhai Sahib attended Khalsa Camp, and then continued doing seva, wherever Guru Ji took him. After he left UK, we would often hear of him being in various parts of the world. Whether it be New York, France or Asian Continent. Where ever he went, we would hear of many new souls discovering Gursikhi and Naam. Such was the reverence that the sangat had for him, that when the Dastaar issue came to the fore in France, he led the French delegation to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi.

So it pains me to hear that now, this fine, charismatic Sikh gentleman is being tortured by Punjab Police. Once a guest of honor at the house of the Indian Prime Minister. Now because of his amazing grass roots work in rehabilitation of drug users in Punjab, and his popularity in his local area, he was seen as a huge threat to incumbents in the upcoming SGPC elections. So he was arrested and tortured, with the aim to keep him from bring positive social change.

The question, we as Gursikhs of the Khalsa Panth have to ask ourselves is – if we are not going to speak up for such a good Gursikh, then who else are we going to speak up for?

by Bhai Jagjit Singh West Yorkshire
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I had darshan of Bhai Pal Singh in the mid-90s when he was residing at New York, and Sangat from Toronto went there for Jatha Samagam. Through his Parchaar of Sikhi a lot of youth had adopted Gursikhi. He was full of Bir-Rass and had mountain-faith on the efficacy of Gurmat Naam. It is pretty sad that he has been arrested for doing Parchaar of Gursikhi in India. May Guru Sahib keep him in Chardi Kala.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login