ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Langar Pehar - Mata Sahib Kaur Asthaan

Posted by Vista 
Langar Pehar At Mata Sahib Kaur Gurdwara, Nanded

Some good guidelines for Langar the simplicity is much inspiring for all.

ਓਨੀਦੁਨੀਆਤੋੜੇਬੰਧਨਾਅੰਨੁਪਾਣੀਥੋੜਾਖਾਇਆ ॥
They burn away the bonds of the world, and eat a simple diet of grain and water.

1. Under the jathedari of Baba Mitt Singh jee, langar was strictly bibeki.

2. Every utensil that was used in the langar was sarbloh only and this included pots for water, paraat for flour, etc.
Only sarbloh was allowed in the langar.

3. Only those singhs who had strict bibek and sarbloh were allowed to do sewa in langar.

4. Sewadaars were not allowed to talk during the preparation of langar. Only if they had something very important to say, they could briefly talk, otherwise, only baani was allowed there.

5. Sewadaars had to take keshi-ishnaan before preparing langar.

6. They had to cover their mouths with a piece of cloth to avoid spitting in langar.

7. No one was allowed to eat in the premises of where langar was being made.

8. No non-rehitvaan person was allowed to enter where langar was being made.

9. Langar was mostly daal and in some special occasions, sabjee was also cooked.

10. Roti was not choppered.

11. Langar used to stay open 24 hours a day.

12.Before making aata (flour) the wheat grains were thoroughly washed.

13.Vegetable oil, Dalda, or other such oil was not used for cooking. Only desi ghee was used.

14. TaRkaa was very minimal in langar.

15. Nagaara was used to announce the time of langar.

16. Langar was so tasty there at gurdwara sahib that sometimes sangat used to come to gurdwara sahib to eat only langar.

Note - Whilst Baba Mitt Singh jee was doing Seva here, Jhatka was not done and Bhang was not consumed. He and the other Gursikhs were against it. The situation may have slightly changed at this time. The aim is to take the good from the above points

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
WaaheGuru Sahib Jeeeeeo! I cannot imagine the Anand which must have existed
in this langar Hall. When I went to Hazoor Sahib I noticed Baba Nidhan Singh Jis langar
hall has a divine feeling .This langar was started by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
These Asools are the golden principle of Gurmat, relating to Langar Sewa and credit goes to Baba Mitt Singh jee for establishing them in the Langar Asthaan of Mata Sahib Kaur jee's Gurdwara Sahib. We visited this Gurdwara Sahib in 2004 and found out that for the most part, still Guru's Langar is prepared by Sarblohi Bibeki Gurmukhs, keeping in mind the above stated Gurmat principles. There are only couple of dhils that need not be discussed on an open forum. We should appreciate and applaud the good effort of the Sewadaars of this Gurdwara Sahib.

We get immense happiness when we behold non-Jatha organizations too upholding Sarbloh Bibek Rehit but in our own Jatha, a lot of dhil has come as far as preparation of Guru's Langar is concerned. Jathedar Bhai Bakshish Singh jee is working very hard to bring back the golden Gurmat Maryada related to Siri Akhand Paath Sahib, Akhand Kirtan, Guru ka Langar and Amrit Sinchaar back in the Jatha but there is a lot of resistance from comfort-loving modern (especially urban) Gursikhs. May Guru Sahib intervene for the good.

Thanks for posting Vista jeeo.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh jee,

I assume by akhand paath and langar you mean Jathedaar ji is trying to bring back the marada of only allowing rehitvaan singhs to do that seva, but what do you mean by bringing back golden gurmat maryada of akhand kirtan and amrit sanchaar?
Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Ke Fateh!!!

I beleive a different angle needs to be taken with sangat in general for this parchar and that is to do with SIMPLICITY.

First of all what needs to be established is If this diet is introdcued what and how does the body and mind respond?

How does one feel with this diet - amrit dhari and non amrit dhari?

How is it benefical in it's nutrients such as iron ?

etc.etc. - if so many benefits out weigh the complex langar systems which we have today such as 3 dals big choice menus-- which are such high in FAT and very dangerous - for example KHIRRR AND YOGHURT both at the same time surely is that healthy?

How about producing some kind of flyer with colourful images presenting the facts and difference of the two?

In order to bring about change it has to be along the lines of being inevitable in it's presence to society.

1. Under the jathedari of Baba Mitt Singh jee, langar was strictly bibeki.

with guru sahibs kirpa soon daas will try to upload a rare pothi that is about the jeevan of Sant Baba Mitt Singh Jee khalsa for the sangat to learn about more of their amolak jeevan.

TaRkaa was very minimal in langar

this is a very important point, from what i have learned from Elder Gursikhs, they have told me not to use TuRkaa(TaRkaa) at all b/c it causes ur mind to wander.Since TaRkaa is used for pleasing ur taste buds(whichi is considered to be a type of vikaar). Sadly i havent been able to follow thier advice b/c my mom wont stop using TaRkaa sad smiley
Vista & Bhai Kulbir Singh jee

Are there any other Gurdwarai which have this level of maryada in India? It saddens us when we go to India we cannot partake in langar due to certain fundamental rehits being compromised. sad smiley
WJKK WJKF KHALSA JIO VERY AMUSING because when dass went in GURDWARA MATA SAHIB KAUR JI in NANDED.I saw some nihang singh not nihang singh (malesh) are making meat in that gurdwara sahib langar this was at 1998. dasin dass
anyone.........? confused smiley
There are only very few Gurdwareh or Groups who follow the above Maryada or more. Majority listed below don't run Seva in Gurdwaras. They would get together during Smagams mainly for langar.

Toronto
Monthly Bibeksar Sahib Smagam
Rangley Saajan Trust, Amritsar
Anandpur Sahib Singhs
Kaala Sanghaa
Delhi Singhs

There other places too with small groups of Gursikhs but the don't really run in Gurdwara day to day.

I'm sure others could add.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login