ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਨਾਮਰਜਾਦੁਆਇਆਕਲਿਭੀਤਰਿਬਾਹੁੜਿਜਾਸੀਨਾਗਾ॥

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
In the following pangti I thought ਕਲਿ meant Kaljug. I dont think the sihari in ਕਲਿ makes the word an adhikaran karak because of the presence of the word ਭੀਤਰਿ ( inside) , but I still think the word ਕਲਿ in this pangti means kaljug. But according to Professor Sahib Singh Ji, the word ਕਲਿ here and many other places ( not all) in Gurbani means world ( sansar) . For the above pangti he states man is born naked in this world despite whatever age ( jug) he comes in so ਕਲਿ here means world. He states when Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji came into this world that time was popularly known as "kaljug" but traditionally the word ਕਲਿ meant world.

But in the following pangti Professor Sahib Singh Ji translates the word ਕਲਿ to mean Kaljug
ਚਹੁਜੁਗੀਕਲਿਕਾਲੀਕਾਂਢੀਇਕਉਤਮਪਦਵੀਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਾਹਿ॥

It would be impossible to interpret this word to mean sansar in this pangti, so why does Professor Sahib Singh Ji interpret ਕਲਿ to mean world in some places where in other instances he interprets the word to mean kaljug. I dont understand why ਕਲਿ cant mean Kaljug in the first pangti I posted.

In "Mahan Kosh" , Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha Ji has translated ਕਲਿ as the fouth jug meaning kaljug.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I personally believe that in the first Pankiti that you quoted, the word "ਕਲਿ" means world of Kaljug i.e. world in which Kaljug is prevalent.

Having said that the Baani Pehre (from which the Pankiti in question is) is really talking about the life of a jeev during the Kaljug time when sin increases quite bit and people lose their spiritual inclinations to material tendencies. So it makes more sense to interpret ਕਲਿ as Kaljug world i.e. world in Kaljug. For this reason most translators have done the meaning as Kaljug roopi Sansaar or Kaljug wali Duniya etc.

Rest Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh

Having said that the Baani Pehre (from which the Pankiti in question is) is really talking about the life of a jeev during the Kaljug time when sin increases quite bit and people lose their spiritual inclinations to material tendencies. So it makes more sense to interpret ਕਲਿ as Kaljug world

Yeah after taking the whole bani into consideration it makes more sense to refer to ਕਲਿ as kaljjug-world. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login