ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grammar Books

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Grammar Books
May 20, 2014 07:34PM
What are the name of the grammar books written by Professor Teja Singh Ji and Pandit Tara Singh Narotam? I heard these were the very first books written on Grammar?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Grammar Books
May 21, 2014 11:42AM
VJKK VJKF,

I believe the first book published on Gurbani Grammar was Prof. Teja Singh's, "ਸ਼ਬਦਾਂਤਕ ਲਗਾਂ ਮਾਤਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਗੁੱਝੇ ਭੇਦ" published 1922-23. I've just now found a copy of it on the Punjab Digital Library!

Shabadatik Laga Matra De Gujje Bhed

I'm afraid I don't know about Pt. Tara Singh Narotam's book.
May 21, 2014 07:34PM
Thanks for the link Bhai Navroop SIngh Ji.

Does anyone know if any of the books by Teja Singh or Tara Singh still in print? If so, how can I purchase them? Ive been thinking for some time now, Punjab Digital Library has preserved many older books which have gone out of print. If they make hard copy books from the digitalized version Im sure they can make some good money. This way they will have more resources to improve the site, and more older Gursikhs who don't use computers will have access to these books. Most young people don't read religious books so it would be a good idea to make convert this data from soft copy to hard copy.
May 22, 2014 05:35AM
Excellent idea Bhai Sukhdeep Singh, it's been something I've been contemplating myself. There are many excellent books on Gurmat which have gone out of print. I've been thinking of starting a small non-profit publishing house to not only print these OOP books, but to also have translations made in multiple languages.

I was recently disturbed to find that the SGPC had printed a book on Sikh History in Hindi which was absolutely offensive. It seems more and more pertinent that we have the ability to publish Sikh literature outside of India. There are also many capable and knowledgeable writers outside of India who should be encouraged.

What does the Sangat here think of this idea?
May 22, 2014 07:26AM
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> now, Punjab Digital Library has preserved many
> older books which have gone out of print. If they
> make hard copy books from the digitalized version
> Im sure they can make some good money. This way
> they will have more resources to improve the site,
> and more older Gursikhs who don't use computers
> will have access to these books. Most young people
> don't read religious books so it would be a good
> idea to make convert this data from soft copy to
> hard copy.

It would perhaps not be under the scope of PDL to print hard copies. In any case printed books never make any significant sale in India. Our culture is not of reading books. How many would buy grammer books? Not even a few.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login