ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"If I accept Islam will I escape death?"

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Today March 25 marks the date of Shaheed Bhai Subegh Singh Ji and Shaheed Bhai Shabaaz Singh Jis shaheedi. Everyday in Ardas we remember and are reminded to remember those Shaheed Singhs who were turned on spiked wheels ( ਚਰਕੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਚੜੇ).

During the Mughal Raj the Mughals grew weary in trying to convert the Singhs. The Singhs were simply to strong in faith to convert in exchange for the safety of their lives. The torturers tried every method and they kept failing. Eventually they invented a turning spike wheel which was designed to tear the flesh and crush the bones of its victims. The first to test the sturdiness of this device were Bhai Subegh Singh Ji and Shaheed Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji .

Bhai Subeg Singh was born to Rai Bhaga in the village Jambar (Lahore ). He was a Gursikh at a young age , and at a young age Bhai Subegh Singh Ji learnt Arabic and Persian from his father. After his studies he managed to get a contracting job within the
courts of the Mughals.

The Khalsa Fauj became an annoying thorn for the Mughal administration. The Khalsa were the only ones to contest and rebel against the tyranny of the Mughal Raj. However, the Khalsas rebellious opposition left them stranded, scattered and wanted dead or alive in ever city and town; thus, the Khalsa could not openly congregate and practice Sikhi openly, since they were banned from all Mughal boundaries. The Mughals knew that every time they would kill a Sikh 10 more Sikhs would replace that Sikh. The more they killed the more appeared. The Mughals finally came to the realization that they could only win the submission of Sikhs through a truce which would entitle the Khalsa to land entitlements. In 1733, the Mughal authority decided by the orders of Zakariya Khan, the Governor of Lahore, to lift the banishment enforced on the Khalsa Fauj and make an offer of a grant to them royalties.

Because Subegh Singh Ji was a Gursikh the governor appointed him to send out this truce to the Sikhs and encourage them to take the land settlements and nawabship ( governing power) .With the greatest intentions of the Panth, many times he approached at feet of the Singhs and communicated on behalf of the Mughal governor but the Singhs turned down the deal as Khalsa does not make deal with tyrants . Bhai Subegh Singh Ji had no desires to ruin the works of the Khalsa Panth. Seeing the impoverished condition of the Singhs he thought to himself what hypocrisy is it for me to work for such an oppressive regime. After having sangat with these Singhs , Bhai Subeg made some radical changes. He started keeping rehat and he started doing Naam Abhyiaas night and day.

The Mughal authorities were not receptive of Bhai Subegh Singh Jis radical change. Orders were sent to seize both Bhai Sahib and his son ( Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji) from their village. They were brought to the court, andthe Governor said "come to the religion of Islam and you will acquire wealth, women (kaam), and land". Bhai Sahib and his son refused the offer and thus the torturing process began.
When placing Bhai Subegh Singh Ji on spiked wheels the Nawab ( Governor) said if you do not want to die then just accept Islam. Bhai Subegh Singh Ji responded with Gurfateh and said blessed is the spike-wheel and blessed is this time. He then said do not delay my death continue turning these wheels. Regard me a Sikh of the Guru who is happy to offer his life for the love of his Guru. Bhai Sahib then started saying ਧੰਨ ਨਵਾਬ ਧੰਨ ਤਵ ਦੀਨ "blessed is the Nawab and blessed is his religion of compulsion"

The Nawab could only wonder and ask Bhai Sahib why face death when you can live by accepting Islam?
Bhai Sahib reponsed
ਮਰਨੋਂ ਡਰ ਹਮ ਦੀਨ ਮੋਂ ਕਰੋ, ਹੋਇ ਦੀਨ ਮੈਂ ਫਿਰ ਨਹਿ ਮਰੋ?
ਜੌ ਫਿਰ ਭੀ ਸਿਰ ਮਰਨੋੱ ਰਹੈ, ਐਸ ਜੀਵਨ ਕਿਉ ਧਰਮ ਤਜ ਬਹੈ?
If I accept your religion through fear while I no longer face death by becoming Muslim.
If death is eventual/unavoidable then why renounce my religion in this life.

Bhai Subegh Singh Ji then demanded the governor to turn the spike wheel. He said " if you love Islam then continuing turning the wheel.The Nawab continued the order of spinning the spiked wheel, and Bhai Sahib would not forget
Japping WaaheGuru-Gurmantar. ਊਚੇ ਚਾੜ੍ ਫਿਰ ਬਹੁਤ ਘੁਮਾਯਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਤਿਨ ਨਾਹਿ ਭੁਲਾਯਾ

At this point the Nawab was convinced that he could not convert Bhai Sahib through the threat of death or through torture.

So instead he cunningly tried to convince Bhai Sahib by torturing Bhai Sahibs son ( Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji). But when Bhai Sahib saw his son being tortued with his own eye he was just amazed with his sons steadfastness and said
ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ! ਧੰਨ ਦਿਨ ਯਹੈ- blessed blessed is the son blessed is this day.

He then stated blessed is that person who stays firm in his faith; blessed is the person who desires the Gurus lotus feet.
The Nawab became irritated and cunningly stated the following to Subegh Singh Ji "Listen Sikh Subegh! Save your child and future posterity from the sword of death by reciting the Islamic kalma of conversion "There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is the messenger of Allah". Bhai Sahib responded " my Guru handles the affairs of all his Sikhs; after offering my head
to him I have become part of his family. My Guru has offered his four sons yet his family continue to live!
Bhai Sahib and his son refused to recite the Islamic kalma and instead told the Nawab that their Kalma is WaaheGuru ( Gurmantar).
The Nawab became angered and continued with the torture while the Gurmukhs continued reciting the Gurmat Kalma
WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuruuuuuu

The Nawab started to think there is something supernatural about these Singhs. He thought they had black magic powers , and started thinking they might use their power to do black magic and put a curse on the Nawab; thus, he then had them executed immediately.
At the hands of the executioner Gurmukhs Bhai Subegh Singh Ji and Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji breathed their last while reciting the Gurus Kalma " Waaheguru Waaheguru". Waaehguru!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaheguru!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing..

Solid faith of the Khalsa in the past was far stronger and more common than it is now.
Is there not a scene where the son changes his mind? Iv heard one version where the son did waiver,o Bhai Subegh singh asked to speak to his son and he wiped the lakeer of his head, which made him steadfast in his faith again?
Thank you Veer Ji, for the share. Blessed were those souls.

Search for Jambar village on google leads to following links. Birth place of Bhai Subegh Singh Ji, (Village Jambar) is also to village Bhai Pheru, Tarn Taran, Nankana Sahib.

[dailysikhupdates.com]

[travelingluck.com]
There was a typing omission above.

Birth place of Bhai Subegh Singh Ji, (Village Jambar) is also close to village Bhai Pheru, Tarn Taran, Nankana Sahib.

Following link is to the sakhi of Bhai Subegh Singh Ji, read by Gurleen Kaur, Surrey.

[www.youtube.com]
MB Veer Ji If I remember correctly according to the "Sri Guru Granth Parkaash " the village Jambar is by Lahore. I will check again to be sure.

Is there not a scene where the son changes his mind? Iv heard one version where the son did waiver,o Bhai Subegh singh asked to speak to his son and he wiped the lakeer of his head, which made him steadfast in his faith again

If I remember correctly " Vismad Films" made a movie about their shaheedi and they did mention Shabaaz SIngh Ji faltering at one point. I don't remember " Sri Guru Granth Parkaash " mentioning him faltering. He seemed to very much too have the same bold faith of his father. We don't know which reference Vismaad fims used on that particular scene.
MB Singh Veer Ji,

I double checked and Janbar was his last name and the name of his village which is in Lahore 5 miles away from the popular Pakistani jungle Chaange Maanga. Keep in mind that this history was written over a hundred years ago . The village of Janbar probably no longer exist, and the size of Lahore which at once was Punjabs capital has been reduced dramatically in size. So much of our history in Pakistan is being lost sad smiley

A.M Veer Ji, I was thinking about your comments earlier. I cant remember the exact details of the movie but I think the movie mentions the authorities lied to Subegh Singh Ji and said that Shabaaz Singh Ji converted as a means to break his spirit. If they mentioned Shabaaz Singh Jis faltered then most likely they probably got this history from Giani Gian Singh who has made many errors when writing Sikh history. He was an opium user and some times he fabricated some history. Vismaad Films are great educational films for children . However, when you making an 1 hour long film you have to use the different resources and try to put them together to make a sizeable film. Vismaad movies do use different sources and they do a good job in filtering info which does not seem right.
Hanji, Vismaad showed this scene, but I have heard parchaariks mention another scene. The father had a vision of the future that his son may faulter so before being tortured he asked to see his son at which point he wiped of the lakeer on his head. Im not sure if this is line with gurmat though??
I think Pracheen Panth Prakash mentions the incident where the son Shahbaaz Singh falters not purely due to tortures he had to endure but with the mixture of torture and deception. The tyrants promised him the hand of a Shahzaadee (princess) and all worldly comforts. The son had endured many days of torture and due to a past life bad karma, he faltered and agreed to become a Turk. The excited kazi, informed the father - Bhai Subegh Singh - about his son's decision and cajoled him too to give in.

Bhai Subegh Singh refused to accept this information and asked the Kazi that he would like to witness it first hand from his son. The Kazi agreed to the meeting of father and son. This is the mistake that the Kazi made. Bhai Subegh Singh was not an ordinary Gursikh but had a high spiritual state. He went into Dhyaan and immediately found out that due to the previous bad Karma of his son, he had a jog (possibility) to become a Turk (muslim) in this life. There was only one way to quickly remove this bad karma. The dust of Charan of Sadhsangat was needed to be placed on the forehead of his son but where was he going to find Sadhsangat at this time. So he did Benti to Guru Sahib quickly, and when his son came near him, he did not utter any lecture to his son but rubbed his hand under his own Charan and rubbed the dust of his Charan on the forehead of his son.

Then he just headed back after challenging the kazi to do whatever he wanted to do but his son would not falter any longer. Bhai Sahib had effectively removed the effect of bad karma from the life of his son. After that, the tyrants tortured Shahbaaz Singh much more than before but he stayed adamant and did not give up his Sikhi. The kazi was surprised and could not understand what the father had done to his son without uttering a word.

This Saakhi teaches us the very important lesson of greatness of Sadhsangat and how our bad karma are erased by just being in Sangat.

Kulbir Singh
I double checked the sakhi and its true at one point Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji forgot naam and the lotus petal turned downdards, and the dark clouds of worldliness plagued his mind at this point he was about to convert to Islam. Bhai Subegh Singh Ji saw this written on his forehead and applied the dust from his holy feet to Bhai Shabaaz Singh Jis forehead and then the naam abhyiaas started going back automically at this point no torture could make Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji falter in his faith

ਸੰਤ ਚਰਨ ਧਰਉ ਮਾਥੈ ਚਾਂਦਨਾ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਿ ਹੋਇ ਅੰਧੇਰੈ ॥੨॥ ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਕਮਲੁ ਬਿਗਸੈ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਭਜਉ ਪੇਖਿ ਨੇਰੈ ॥੩॥ Waaheguru!

[www.youtube.com]

Waaheguru best youtube video ever.
That's an amazing Shabad sung superbly by Bhai Srinagar jee.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's an amazing Shabad sung superbly by Bhai
> Srinagar jee.
>
> Kulbir Singh

He's the best (IMO)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login