Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Culture Shock: Help!

Posted by gurvitohkurbaan 
Culture Shock: Help!
September 04, 2013 07:01PM
Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsaa
Vahiguroo ji ki Fatehh ji

I just shifted to Windsor, Ontario from New Delhi, India as Dass got an admission in a university with Maharaj's kirpa. It has been very difficult to adjust in a place where there are not many Singhs. If there are any, most of them patits. Also I have been undergoing culture shock as well as a kind of sadness that has come due to the Moh with the family. Can some buzargh Singh give some advise to overcome the situation that I'm undergoing currently.

I'm just 18

Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsa
Vahiguroo ji ki Fateh

Dass
Harleen Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Culture Shock: Help!
September 04, 2013 11:17PM
Im not a bazurag singh.. but I know exactly how you feel

I am an 18 year old girl and just started college.. I might be the only singhni in this college(large college)

Whatsapp, Skype, facebook are great ways to communicate with your family

There are like nobody in college and very few people at gurdwara...

all I do is pray to guru sahib that I maintain my sikhi saroop and rehit no matter what..and that I don't change to appease anybody
Its sad.. it makes me sad. Toronto.. has a huge gursikh population there compared to other places in the world..
So all you really have to do is just be in guru sahib's bhana.. .Tera kiya meeta lagai har naam padarath maangai.. like maybe you could go back for breaks and stuff..

My situation is the same.. there is like nobody.. like wheewww.. lost . completely.. like no sangat.. no bibiyaa in dastara..so veerjee.. I know where you are coming from
Makes me feel kind of specialsmiling smiley
You should feel very special and proud of who you are.. and don't let being by yourself change that.. be that rare glowing.. naam abhiyaasi brother of mine in Windsor, Canada....
and realize that you are being educated thaaki thusee agai vich paisae kaamapawgae apanae parivaar vastae.. and panth di seva vich lagpaogae..

and that your sacrifices are nothing compared to shaheed singhs..

and just like keep on japing naam.. .and I promise you'll get through this.. because every single trouble you go through.. every single dukh you go through makes you stronger.. and makes you a better person...

THe only thing you have in situations like this is guru sahib... and to do ardasaa and jodriyaa that you maintain everything. and that you maintain your gursikhee saroop.. and in the process many others become educated
and then you face people that will question you? and tell you.. that you are odd .. and what not.. that doesn't matter
all I do is keep on remembering the shaheeds.. and the 84 singhs.. and the jina singha charkariya te chare...

Education is such a wonderful thing.. and you need education if you want to change the world.. support the panth.. and help the panth..

This is your bhenjee's perspective.. im going through. and have been going through the exact same thing you are going through
I know I am not a bazurag singh but I know exactly how you feel..so I just felt like I had to reply

Bhul chuk maaf

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
September 05, 2013 10:02AM
Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsa
Vahiguroo ji ki Fateh jee!

Bhenjee

Your inspiring words have just touched my heart. In the illusion of Moh, I indeed have forgotten that my sacrifice of a few years to not see my family is just nothing compared to the kurbaani given by Chardikala Singhs and Singhnees in the Panth. Also this moorakh brother of yours has forgotten that the Rass of Naam has the capability of curing every disease and dukh.

I thank you with my folded hands on such a beautiful advice

Your Chota Veer

Harleen Singh
September 05, 2013 02:25PM
guru sahib di kirpa..vaheguroo..

guru sahib sabh nu chardi kala bakshan.. vahegurroo..

kahu nanak sabh teri vadiyaayee koyee nao na janai mera...

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
September 05, 2013 02:32PM
Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsa
Vahiguroo ji ki Fateh jee!

Bhenjee

Your inspiring words have just touched my heart. In the illusion of Moh, I indeed have forgotten that my sacrifice of a few years to not see my family is just nothing compared to the kurbaani given by Chardikala Singhs and Singhnees in the Panth. Also this moorakh brother of yours has forgotten that the Rass of Naam has the capability of curing every disease and dukh.

I thank you with my folded hands on such a beautiful advice

Your Chota Veer

Harleen Singh
September 05, 2013 03:18PM
There are gursikh parvaars in Windsor, just not a lot. There is going to be a rainsbhaee keertan in Windsor in two weeks from now; details from www.akj.org are below:

Raensabaayee Keertan
Sept. 21 to Sept. 22
7:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Gurooduaaraa Saaheb - Windsor
7955 CR-42 (County Road # 42), Windsor, Ontario
For more information please call (519) 816-6100 or (519) 735-6938.

You can attend and hopefully even get in touch with some of the local families who can offer you sangat and support. Also, whenever you have the opportunity you can take the GO train to Toronto to attend weekend smagams; lots of sangat here.

Windsor University has a Sikh Students Association. It's not very active, but you can also get in touch with the students there.
November 23, 2013 10:12AM
Singh saab please give your darshan this weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login