ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਧਰਹੁ ਪਿਆਰੋ ॥?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
In the following Hukum, why is there a aunkad under the word ਸੰਤਹੁ?
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਧਰਹੁ ਪਿਆਰੋ ॥

I thought ਸੰਤਹੁ here is plural world. Is it that for poetic reasons?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

In the following Hukum, why is there a aunkad under the word ਸੰਤਹੁ?
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਧਰਹੁ ਪਿਆਰੋ ॥

I thought ਸੰਤਹੁ here is plural world. Is it that for poetic reasons?

This word has an Aunkad in the end because "Sant" here are being addressed. This is a special case where when plural nouns are addressed, they are written this way. In regular everyday Punjabi also this form is prevalent. Lok becomes Loko, Bhagat becomes Bhagato, Pyare becomes Pyareo and so on. Same way the word Sant becomes Santo, when addressed. In Gurbani this appears as Santho, Bhagatho and Pyareho and so on.

Gurbani Agam Agaadh Bodh hai jee.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Ji, Im assuming same rule apply to the following hokum or any other noun which is plural and being addressed too? Or is it just special cases where certain plural nouns being addressed to have aunkad?
ਨੇਤ੍ਰਹੁ ਮੇਰਿਹੋ ਹਰਿ ਤੁਮ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਧਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਕੋਈ ॥

Giani Harbans Singh Ji mentions that in Gurbani , Auknad should never be pronounced as Hora so why do we say Santo or Neytro .
My understanding is aunkad is only pronounced when the word is a verb or the word is a noun which is next to an adjective or verb? Either way it should be pronounced as HOra?
You are correct. Precaution should be taken to ensure that the Aunkad is not pronounced as a Hora.

Kulbir Singh
ਏ ਨੇਤ੍ਰਹੁ ਮੇਰਿਹੋ ਹਰਿ ਤੁਮ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਧਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਕੋਈ ॥

In the following Hukum the word ਨੇਤ੍ਰਹੁ has 3 of the main principles/rules as to why there should be no aunkad and they are:
1. Estree ling
2. Bahu Vachan
3. Sanbodhan

Yet there is an aunkad? Isnt this proof that there are special cases in Gurbani ucharan where aunkad should be recited for poetic ( rhyme) reasons?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login