ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਇਕਿ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਘਨੇਰੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਗਲਾ ਗਲੀ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
I always assumed adding a bindi to ਗਲੀ the word becomes plural thus giving the meaning" speaking". But the other day I was reading a book by Bhai Harbhajan Singh Ji and he mentions how adding a bindi to ਗਲੀ can also completely change the meaning giving the meaning " street".

I was wondering in the following hukum is it possible for ਗਲੀਂ to mean street ( path of Gurmat).

Meaning many people go around wandering and speaking but nobody obtains the path by speaking?

Two pauris prior to this Pauri, Sri Guru Ji says we should walk the Gurmat path

ਚਾਲਾ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ਭਗਤਾਹ ਕੇਰੀ ਬਿਖਮ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲਣਾ ॥

and he says on this path there should be no speaking ( idle talk)

ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਤਜਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਬੋਲਣਾ ॥

So can galee with a bindi mean pathway on this pangti?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

I was wondering in the following hukum is it possible for ਗਲੀਂ to mean street ( path of Gurmat).

Meaning many people go around wandering and speaking but nobody obtains the path by speaking?

When Giani Harbhajan Singh says that with the use of Bindi the meaning of this word changes to street, he means the Bindi under "Lalla" like this: ਗਲ਼ੀ

On the other hand ਗਲੀਂ, with Bindi on the Bihaari means plural of talk and means "through talking" (ਗਲੀਂ ਬਾਤੀਂ)

The presence of the verb ਪਾਇਆ, which happens to be a verb for masculine gender, does not allow the meaning of "ਗਲੀ" to be street because then the verb would have been ਪਾਈ.

ਪਾਇਆ is for Vaheguru here and it means that ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੇ ਗਲਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਇਆ.

If the meaning of ਗਲੀ had been street and there had been ਪਾਈ instead of ਪਾਇਆ, then the meaning of the Pankiti would have been - Many roam around and talk but no one can get the galee or path of Vaheguru like this.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Ji makes a lot more sense now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login