ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nitnem

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Nitnem
February 15, 2010 10:19PM
I was wondering is it wrong if one recites Nitnem in a fast speed.

I was hoping to follow the Hukum by Sri Guru Ram Daas Ji and recite 5 japji sahibs for Amrit Vela. But for me to that I will have to do recite them and my Nitnem extremely fast so I can have enough time for Naam Simran. It currently takes me 35 minutes to recite one JapJi Sahib. So you can imagine how long it will take me to recite 5 Jap Ji Sahibs.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Nitnem
February 16, 2010 12:21AM
it takes you 35 minutes to do one japujee sahibeye popping smiley really... do u go like extremely slow.....
daas can do 2 at normal speed and MAYBE 3 in like 40ish minutes if i got very fast
February 16, 2010 07:59AM
in my opinion, there is more benefit of doing one paath slowly and with love, with understanding of what you're saying, than to do 5 paath fast and not understand the words.

gurbani is about understanding guru sahib's message. there's no speed challenge here, no race for who can go faster.

i've seen singhs challenge each other... "can you do x number of paath in one day?" but what's the point to that? i think it's better to do one paath with your whole heart in it than to do a hundred recitations where you don't even notice the words.
February 16, 2010 08:07AM
I agree with gsingh that it should not take that long to do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib. It has been seen that if you start doing more than 10-15 paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib a day, the speed and clarity of paath increases manifold. To do one Siri Jap jee Sahib in 4-5 minutes is an ordinary thing then.

The bottomline is that the paath we do should be done with understanding and concentration; speed does not matter. If one can do paath both fast and with concentration, there is nothing wrong in doing so.

Kulbir Singh
February 16, 2010 08:18AM
Bhain jee 1kaur jee,

i've seen singhs challenge each other... "can you do x number of paath in one day?" but what's the point to that? i think it's better to do one paath with your whole heart in it than to do a hundred recitations where you don't even notice the words.

I agree that doing one paath with utmost concentration can be very beneficial but how do we attain such concentration? The more paaths we do, better our concentration gets. Sant Attar Singh jee used to do more than 100 Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day. Then when he had done target amount of paaths, he started doing 25 Siri Sukhmani Sahibs a day. All this was on top of his nitnem. Look how high he got in spirituality.

The best thing is to do this practically. If we try doing 25 Siri Jap jee Sahibs a day or 5 Siri Sukhmani Sahibs, and continue doing so for couple of months, without fail, our spiritual avastha would definitely rise. All paaths should be done with love and devotion. Speed will increase, concentration will increase and Anand will increase.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, at one point, used to do continuous paaths of Siri Sukhmani Sahib, all day long. Bhai Atma Singh, a companion of Bhai Sahib too used to do many paaths of Siri Sukhmani Sahib a day. He once confided in his loved one, that as soon as he gets up at Amritvela, the paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib starts with full vigour and speed inside his Surthee (concentration). He said that within 15-16 minutes his first paath is completed. In the meantime he used to do Ishnaan and then get engrossed in Nitnem, Naam Abhyaas and more paaths of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. He used to conclude his amritvela with Siri Asa kee Vaar kirtan. Such is the effect of repeated paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Sukhmani Sahib.

Bhul chuk di maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
February 16, 2010 09:40AM
The problem is before I took Amrit I never did Jap Ji Sahib paath. Even though its been well over a year since Ive taken Amrit It still takes me alot of time to do Jap Ji Sahib. It first took me an hour and slowly by slowly I have reduced that time to around 30 minutes. But not when I ever I have avilable time I recite Jap Ji Sahib for example going to work, going home, during lunch time, driving to somebodys house, etc. Hopefully with Guru Jis kirpa the time will be further reduced so I can do more Paath with full concentration during Amrit Vela.
February 16, 2010 11:21AM
kulbir veerji,

i agree that most great gursikhs did tons of paath every day. i guess i'm thinking more of youngsters i have met who do each bani so fast you can't even hear the words, let alone take the time to understand them.

of course, if we can give our full attention to the meaning, then go as fast as you want. but for most of us, it's hard to give proper attention to paath at normal speed, let alone super fast.

sorry for not being more clear. smiling smiley
February 16, 2010 06:01PM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with gsingh that it should not take that
> long to do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib. It has
> been seen that if you start doing more than 10-15
> paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib a day, the speed and
> clarity of paath increases manifold. To do one
> Siri Jap jee Sahib in 4-5 minutes is an ordinary
> thing then.
>
> The bottomline is that the paath we do should be
> done with understanding and concentration; speed
> does not matter. If one can do paath both fast and
> with concentration, there is nothing wrong in
> doing so.
>
> Kulbir Singh

Bhai Sahib when ever you have a free chance can you record yourself doing Japji Sahib so I and sangat from this forum can get an idea of the proper speed, and pronunciations of Sri Japji Sahib?
February 16, 2010 09:25PM
Daas has been blessed to do amritvela sangat with Puran Ji. Whoever has done amritvela with him knows what is fast. This type of amritvela is quite prevalent in Amritsar Sahib.
February 17, 2010 01:39PM
My advice is not worthy compared the elder Piarey Gursikhs but if it can be helpful in any small way, Chatrik will consider it as my Vaddey-Bhag.
Some time ago, dass made the conviction to do X amount of Paths Sri Jap Ji Sahib. Chatrik realized that Chatrik was more into achieving that X amount of Paths a day than listening to Gurbani. (hence, use to rush into reading gurbani also)

Plus, it also started to become tiring.(to be honest)

Then Chatrik reduced the number, decided that in 1 sitting will do 2 Sri Jap Ji Sahib at a medium speed and listen to it with DHIAN and PYAAR(feeling Guru Sahib Hazir Nazir). Have to say, the masti blessed by Sri Guru ji was indescribable. As time passed,Chatrik increased the paath chatrik was doing week by week and achieved the X amount Chatrik wanted to do.

Lessons learned by Chatrik is,
Start with a small amount, but start! Even if it is 1-2 , then do them with dhian,pyaar and nimarta(humility).As time passes, you by yourself will desire to increase the number and Guru Sahib will bless you with more Seva(Naam) to do so.
After, X amount of Paath have been for the day. Do an ardass to Sri Guru Ji.
"If I have done this Seva of yours, it is because YOU have made me do it....
If I have done this Seva of your, it is because YOUR keerpa(grace) on me...
If I have done this Seva of Your, it is because YOU are merciful on me...."
(the truth is we cannot Jup Naam if he doesnt keep his hand on our head-this realization will also keep us humble)

Morakhpan Di Khimma Bakshni Piarey Ji....

Chota veer
February 17, 2010 09:16PM
Thanks for the advice Veer Ji I will take it into consideration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login