ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sarbloh is amazing!

Posted by GuruDefined 
Sarbloh is amazing!
June 20, 2013 10:36AM
AN INSPIRING ARTICLE THAT I FOUND ON THE NET

Hidden dangers of cookware and beauty of Sarbloh...
I went to someone's house a while ago and they mentioned how they listened to a presentation about the hidden dangers of different types of cookware. The person speaking was not a Gursikh and I was pleasantly surprised that he was praising Sarbloh (cast iron). He said the Khalsa Rehat is Sarbloh and that the British introduced bronze dishes (which we call 'pittal' in Panjabi) to Panjab to weaken the Panjabis and Sikhs minds. He said that eating out of bronze over time leads to weakening of one's memory. The person claimed that the British during the Raaj wished to affect the minds of the people of Panjab and therefore introduced cookware and utensils that would slowly over time affect the mental health of the people.

I decided to do some research about the different types of cookware and found the following:

STAINLESS STEEL

There are many grades of stainless steel. Regular stainless steel cookware is made from different alloys including scrap metal.For cleanliness and safety reasons, you food should be cooked on only high -grade surgical stainless steel. "The kind of steel used in most stainless steel cookware is not the best metal in which to prepare foods. Most stainless steel cookware sold in stores is of such a nature as to allow chrome and nickel to bleed out into foods as water and food chemicals react with the walls of the vessels as they are heated. The chrome and nickel salts are retained when ingested. They cannot be eliminated. They build up and in time can create troublesome conditions". - Dr. Shelton's Hygienic Review Division of Science, Engineering and Technology, The Pennsylvania State University at Erie, The Behrend College, 16563 Erie, Pennsylvania, USA.

GLASS / ENAMEL COATED

Poor heat distribution. Foods stick and burn. Contains lead. Lead can cause reproductive harm and learning disabilities. Prop. 65 If gas is unleaded, shouldn't our cookware also be free of lead

NON-STICK COATED / TEFLON

Can scratch, chip and flake. "Exposure to Teflon resins at temperatures above 393ºF may produce a condition termed polymer fume fever characterized by flu-like symptoms such as chills, fever, body aches, nausea and occasional vomiting." Federal Aviation Agency Occupational Health & Safety Bulletin. A chemical, C-8, used to make non-stick coated pans has been linked to birth defects in humans to cancer in laboratory animals. The chemical is also present in the blood for up to 4 years and can show up in breast milk.

ALUMINIUM

Very soft metal. Extreme chemical reaction between food and pan. Aluminium is used in most Gurdwaras in the West for cooking Langar and distributing Degh, however this is not only not part of Maryada but also hazardous for one's health. "All Vegetables cooked in Aluminium produce hydroxide poison which neutralizes digestive juices, producing stomach and gastrointestinal trouble, such as stomach ulcers and colitis." Dr. A. McGuigan's Report on Findings for the Federal Trade Comm. In Docet Case No. 540 Washington, D.C. Note: The sale of aluminium cookware is prohibited in Germany, France, Belgium, Gr. Britain Switzerland, Hungary and Brazil.

CAST IRON (SARBLOH)
A good choice is that old standby, cast iron, which is known for its durability and even heat distribution. Cast iron cookware can also help ensure that eaters in your house get enough iron—which the body needs to produce red blood cells—as it seeps off the cookware into food in small amounts. Unlike the metals that can come off of some other types of pots and pans, iron is considered a healthy food additive by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sarbloh is amazing!
June 20, 2013 12:07PM
Thank you for this beautiful write up and great information. Just one small correction that Sarbloh is wrought iron and not cast iron. Cast Iron as 2-3% carbon content which makes it impure, wrought iron only has .1-.2%. Also cast iron breaks using hammer and sarbloh utensils are made using that process. Sarab means complete/pure and Loh means iron... so iron with lowest milawat is called Sarbloh and for commercial use it was historically wrought iron.
Lately I have been thinking about the beauty of Sarab Loh Bibek. This rehat really makes a person dsciplined and keeps us away from laziness in this modern world. For example, one cant wash their dishes in the dish washer instead they must hand wash the bandey immediately after eating. I was also thinking that Sarab Loh Bibek in its original form also discourages laziness as food was never stored and instead prepared fresh every day . The puratan SIgnhs would not store their food period. Left over food was given to the poor, or animals.

Some time ago a Singh was mentioning to me how Bhai Jagtar Singh Ji ( tapoban Sahib) was not in favor of storing food in non- sarab loh batey. He would tell people he does not keep proper sarab loh bibek since he stored food. Stay away from stored food is difficult rehat to keep, but I feel like this rehat is a real boost to ones spirituality. Stored food creates too much bacteria and makes one lazy and lethargic. I have noticed there is a trend amongst modern bibekess to get angry with people who touch their stored food. Keeping a pehra on ones fridge makes people obessed with their food and hostile towards others. One principle of Sarab Loh Bibek is to eat simply and share with those around instead of making alot of food and then storing it for yourself.

I have tried to keep this rehat numerous times, but then again I get lazy and start to store food. Can anyone give tips on how to keep this rehat. What foods are quick and easy to make for dinner? Currently I take raw carrots, apples and nuts for lunch. One cant store their lunch in Sarab Loh as the sarab loh will rust. So I just just raw foods and place them in sarab loh containers. and eat them out of Sarab Loh. For dinner I make parshadey and sabji however, I dont see this lasting long as I often get lazy especially on the weekends sad smiley
Re: Sarbloh is amazing!
June 21, 2013 04:07AM
Bhai sukhdeep singh jio it is so good if make moongi masraan di daal in dinner it is also called "chutki daal ".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login