ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Increasing Focus when Doing Paath

Posted by sk 
Increasing Focus when Doing Paath
January 24, 2013 03:36PM
Can Gurmukh pyarey please share what they have learned from gursikhs and personal experience about increasing one's concentration and understanding of gurbani.

The first thing I can thing of is:

1 - Do a lot of it. I used to think that it is useless to do tons of paath if you are going too fast to focus on each individual shabad, but one thing I've learned from other gursikhs is that doing alot of paath abhiyaas within a concentrated amount of time can really improve one's focus (IF this helps you do more paath everyday). It's like when babies are growing up, they are exposed to lots and lots of speech, but don't understand any of it. But the more they hear people talking, the more quickly they start to pick up words and learn the language.

Please share more tips.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Concentration is naturally increased by doing more and more bhagtee and this is the best way concentration will increase. Guru Sahib states...ਸੁਣਿਐ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਧਿਆਨ, by listening over and over eventually our mind will connected with Gurbani.

While doing Path we should activlely fight against our mind and not just do Bani is a lazy state. If we are tired then we must fight against it, and never let the mind waver. The least amount of thoughts are during Amritvela and if one is tired during AV, there mind will never be able to focus on Gurbani. It is important to get a good amount of rest before Amritvela.

If one wants to speed up the process, than it is crucial to learn Gurbani Viyakaran and meanings. Even with knowing little punjabi one can come to understand Gurbani if they put their mind to it. This way, when doing Path focus should be put on the meanings and by knowing studying Grammar it will keep you constantly active to look for where bindian, audaks, bishrams etc. should be put. In order to do this one has to do path with a good amount of concentration. At the begining it will takes some time to understand the meanings at a fast pacebut with practice eventually it feels like one is speaking a normal language and you understand at no matter what speed you go at. Gurbani should be understood just as we understand speach in everyday life (meaning you shouldn't have to stop and think about it). For instance, you are not thinking about what i am writing right now, but you are just reading it at is processing in your mind right away. Knowings the meanings also helps with interest in path and leads leads to vismaad. Speed should be increased once Bani is completly shud or else this can lead to many errors.

Rehit is also important, those that keep full Sarbloh Pehra, Bana and other Rehits will all tell you how much their concentration increased after keeping rehit. The more we follow Rehit the more Kirpa Guru Sahib will do. This Kirpa can be translated into many things such as warding off illness, dukh, and worldly affairs but most importantly Guru Sahib increases ones Bhagtee and Concentration. If one eats from a manmukh, than that persons actions goes right into the mind. This will lead to increase in vikaars and inability to focus on Gurbani. Guru Sahibs Bana is a magical thing and makes one feel like a Bhagat. It isnt just for fun that Guru Sahib would make his Singhs wear Bana. Bana is not something that is for physical battles but also spiritual battles and it gives one the feeling of being Tyar bar Tyar, which helps fight off negative thoughts while engaged in Bhagtee.

When one is doing Bhagtee while sitting, it is best to choose a comfortable place, with little noise and distractions. It is also good to sit in the same spot while doing bhagtee because the spot becomes more and more pavitar (purified) as we do more bhagtee in that one area. We also become familiar with the surroundings. The Singhs here in Toronto have become so accustomed to their "Bhagtee spaces" that we will never sit in any other spot during our morning Naam Abiyaas. A habit has been formed between us so strongly, that even when one person is sitting out of place, the mind begins to waver. I remember a few occurrences where the person who normally sits beside was gone and someone new had accidently sat in his space. I spent the whole abiyaas thinking about 1) Who this new person was 2) How annoyed must the Singh who orginally sat there must feel! One should always bundle up as well, and wearing a loee really helps. It keeps one warm and gives the feeling of being a fakeer. It is also helps to use a mala while doing Naam Abiyaas.

Aside from the Major rehits, we should look out for the minor things that also effect our jeevans. Watching Movies, playing video games, and listening to dirty music all have negative impacts on the mind. Even if they are not bad in nature, the thoughts of these will continually pop up, especially when we try to do bhagtee because our weak minds have come to enjoy them so much that we cannot stop thinking about them.
Beautiful learning and suggestions from Gurman Singh jee- I would add if i may that the way we breathe helps when doing paath.Especially deep breathing holding the breath comfortably for 1-3 seconds and then breathing out slowly while doing paath. In this way the mind wondering mind slows down a lot. One can do pauri of paath in Japji in such a way or a pauri of Sukhmani sahib and continue in such fashion - your concentration on bani will increase rapidly. There was one such Gurmukh pyara who i cant remember the name of described by Bhai Randhir Singh jee that he could do 10-15 pannas of Gurbani SGGS paath in one single breath!!!!! There are gurmukhs who can do half an astapadi in one breath- or some even a whole one. Some do mool mantars 1 on breathing in 3 while holding the breath 1 on breathing out. This is not cheating - this is slowing the mind - trancending - aligning the sub conscious to Gurbani - Most important start comfortably don't force to hold the breath - the hold will grow natuarlly over many months - takes u into wonderland!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: Increasing Focus when Doing Paath
January 25, 2013 10:46AM
Amazing tips!!

Please keep them coming
I would have to agree with the already given tips and suggestions. Getting enough sleep is very important for concentration. Sleeping too much or too little can both be bad while doing bhagtee. Having a same sleep schedule everyday also helps. Also to get rid of distractions or if there is a problem one is facing with a person or a thing, either try to solve it or try not thinking about it too much and just leave it upto Guroo Saahib.

And I know SK bhenjee does paath from Larivaar, but this might be for anyone who want to concentrate while doing paath. Doing paath from Larivaar plays a big part in keeping your mind focused. Not only is it the proper way of doing paath, but also helps in building up a strong focus and immense lahaa while doing paath.
January 29, 2013 01:27PM
AnokhKaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have to agree with the already given tips
> and suggestions. Getting enough sleep is very
> important for concentration. Sleeping too much or
> too little can both be bad while doing bhagtee.

Proper sleep is definitely the toughest one. Good tips bhenjee.
January 29, 2013 02:47PM
The main thing is to listen to Gurbani and concentrate on the sound as well as the Arths of Gurbani. Depending on the Avastha of the seeker on a particular day and time, he may like to say out Gurbani loudly or in whispering tone or in the Surthee. Alternatively, he may want to sing Kirtan of Gurbani. All are Safal and acceptable and the reward depends on the love, Bairaag and concentration of the seeker.

In order to rise spiritually, one should become adept in doing Paath audibly as well as in Surthee. By doing at least some Paath in pure Surthee, helps the Surthee to get Balvaan (strong).

Surthee paath is done purely in concentration, mentally. The first thing is to do paath using tongue in such way that the paath is audible to the self. Then the surthee should be used to listen to this paath. Slowly, over time, one can do paath purely in Surthee i.e. not using any part of the body e.g. lips, tongue, throat etc. In the beginning when we stop using lips, tongue or throat, and do paath in surthee, we use hands or finger or other part of of the body to get the paath going when it gets stuck in Surthee. When one's Surthee becomes balvaan (strong), then paath can be done with much greater speed and better understanding.

I wrote in one of posts that Bhai Atma Singh jee used to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib paath in Surthee in 15-16 minutes as soon as he used to get up in the morning. It used to happen automatically. One can't do paath with such speed using tongue, lips and mouth.

Subedar Baghel Singh jee, a very chardi kala Gursikh, told me that in order to make our Surthee Balvaan (strong) an effort should be made to do some paath purely in Surthee. Exactly same thing Bhai Mahinder Singh Kala Sangha told me about 10 years ago. Another Chardi Kala wale Singh - Giani Harbhajan Singh Shatrana - who was a companion of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and Bhai Atma Singh jee, advised that an effort should be made to do some paath purely in Surthee.

Bhai Sahib has written that Naam Abhyaas can be done using Baikhree, Madhma, Pasanti or Para. In order to do Madhma, Pasanti or Para, one has to employ Surthee to varied degrees. These three sounds are not physical sounds and thus the Surthee is used to listen to these sounds.

Kulbir Singh

Are there any articles on "Baikhree, Madhma, Pasanti or Para"? I have not come across any. If anyone can share, please do so.
When doing Abhyaas, we notice that one part of the Mind is chanting Naam while another part is thinking about something else. Unless the Mind becomes one and all parts of Mind are concentrated on Naam, the full rewards of Naam Abhyaas are not awarded. Naam Abhyaas should continue as normal, audibly, at Amritvela, and with other part of the mind, one should attempt to hear Manglacharan, Siri Jap jee Sahib or most preferably Siri Sukhmani Sahib. One should not attempt to do Paath as this will take away concentration from Naam but the Paath should happen effortlessly, just as Furnay (thoughts) flash effortlessly in the mind. Mind should continue to focus on Naam Dhuni but when the Pankitis of Siri Sukhmani Sahib flash in the mind, they bring Chardi Kala in Abhyaas. It's this Chardi Kala that Bhai Sahib is talking about in the passage above. The Gurbani Pankitis are drenched in divine Love and this Love causes the Chardi Kala in the Simran and it is this Love that protects the Mind from getting entangled in Tandra. Of course, doing Abhyaas audibly in the presence of other Gursikhs, shields against Tandra.

- Bh. Kulbir Singh

I've noticed at amritvela that while I have trouble focusing on just naam abhiyaas or just paath, my mind wanders considerably, but while doing paath in surthee while doing abhiyaas, it greatly increases my focus on the Bani. Paath slows down and I'm forced to focus on the arths in order to keep the paath flowing smoothly in my mind. However, as mentioned above, the focus on gurmantar decreases... BUT my mind at least wanders less.

Should I continue to do this if it's at least preventing my mind from wandering?

On that note, I've found that doing keertan of our basic nitnem banian like Japjee Sahib once in a while during the daytime is a really great way of doing focused paath. Everyone should try this once in a while. Also, writing out our nitnem banian is a good way of engraving a mental picture of the banis in our mind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login