ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Explanation of a Shabad needed please!

Posted by navjotsingh94 
Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguroo JI Ki Fateh!

After keeping up with the Discussion Board for quite a while now, Daas has been inspired to ask a question myself.

Question: Oftentimes in Gurbani, Akal Purakh Ji is described as without any form, shape, or physicality. He is unfathomable, indescribable, immaculate, immortal, and timeless. Shabads like, ਤਿਸੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖ ਅਦਿਸਟੁ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਲਖੁ ਲਖਾਇਆ ॥ attribute lack of any form or shape to Guru saheb. Then what does it mean to enshrine the "Image" of Vaheguroo within your heart, as in ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸਾਏ ॥ ?

Does Moorat, in this sense, refer to Vaheguroo Jee's Naam? I am just a bit confused how on one hand, Akal Purakh Ji is without any shape or form, and on the other, we are instructed to instill His moorat in our hirdai. I request wise Gursikhs to share your knowledge/wisdom on this topic.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
In the pankiti you have enquired about (ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸਾਏ ॥ ) you are correct in stating that moorat actually means Naam.

Bhai Sahib Gurdas Jee has explained in his Vaars that ‘moorat’ actually means Shabad (Naam) as below:

ਗੁਰ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਹੈ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ॥

and
ਗੁਰ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਹੈ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਪਰਗਟੀ ਆਇਆ॥

So when Gurbani panktis such as the one you have quoted ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸਾਏ ॥ refer to moorat we are being instructed to enshrine Guru’s Shabad (Naam) in our hearts.

When other Gurbani panktis describe the attributes you have asked about (shapeless, formless etc.) the meaning is that Vaheguru does not have a single particular shape or form. At the same time Vaheguru is visible in all shapes and forms.

I hope that answers your query.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login