ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you deal with someone's judgement?

Posted by preet kaur 
My brother has maybe paranoid personality disorder I think and his main target is me, hes like year and half older than me and He always suspect everybody's intentions. he always judge people like they are not nice people, if someone tells him something he always takes it wrong way. for instance,if omeone gives him advice he would say that blah blah person tried to put him down. No matter how nicely someone sayd something most of the time he would take it wrongly.

He doesnt think and just jump to conclusion and whihc is always wrong. over all these years he had totally controlled my life and not only physical life its like he has put chains around my soul.

He always suspect me always, some examples would be like one day some girl accidently texted his freind and it was a wrong number and he thought it was me and he called atnt and checked all the numbers i have texted or calls. he called my mom and told before getting all the numbers from phone company, he alsked my mom to check on the bill of mine if i have a text of call made to the number his freind has and he made my mom suspect me too.

and from here he started keeping track of how many text i do and he started telling my parent how i sent so many messeges, he never lets me go anywhere and if i talk to someone on phone he suspect so i text my freinds and i have one good freind shes a girl whom i text alot and he got problem with her too cuz she was dating his freind and he told mom jihda diya ehdiya sehliyaan odda dee eh app honi aa. and i have never tried to find me somebody , i mean i had to go thru all this drama without having bf imagine how much drama i would go thru if i have one.

one day i was sleeping he came home and started yelling and my mom was lsieting i came outside and he was yelling at her over me that how his xbox seemed touched n he was supecting i brought some guy at home n make his play with his xbox while he was away, in reality i was at school and after this i didnt talked to him for like many months and my life had little bit peace and then mom n dad made me talk to him again and everything started again he aid hes sorry he would never suspect me again but it was the 100th time he apologized.

and after that controlling started again, asking me so many questions like im a thief and hes a lawyer, everything i do im afraid to do cuz u never know what might cause supecision in his brain and i started staying in my room whenver hes around but then he would bug me by coming in my room and i hate him from bottom of my heart so i dont like talking to him and then he gets mad like u r my sister why dont u talk to me. if i talk to him then drama starts again, if i dont talk to him he cry like needy baby that im his sister and he cares for me and loves me balh blah.

its like he torture me and when i dont talk to him he apologize and then i talk he torture again and im tired of this game so these days i just stay quiet in my room and just do my path cuz when i do path mom stops him to bother me so everytime he comes home i take my gutka and do my path and whihc does keep him away from me

and now recently he was going to work and i put almond in a jar and placed them on tabel and he goes what the hell are you getting ready for? i asked what u mean hes like why u placed almond on table i said so somebody can eat them and then he asked in more suspicios eat WHO? n i said members of our family like u mom r dad n he goes i dont eat n then we had fight when i told him u need to stop suspecting me and its been a week n we r not talking but his supicious keeps continuos and he has no shame he told mom that im not talking to him and mom said u might have said soemthing he goes no i didnt say anything but mom knew what happened but she didnt say anything to him

and i know mom n dad gonna make me talk to him again and i hate him i really do i dont like seeing him at all, everytime hes home i feel suffocated, i feels like im in a hell and hes a demon controlling me, i really cant pit in words how i feel and i really feel hate towards him.

im not that mean person it takes alot to get on my nerves i can tolerate anything but all the controlling my brother has put on my soul just hurts me, he didnt give me life, he doesnt give me food to survive, air to breathe who is he to control me? and his answer is that im your brother and i hate it. i

I know we are not suppose to hate anybody but I cant help it, i dont know how to avoid what he thinks or says about me i try but i always fail and i always end up getting hurt and angry.

once he brought a book from hsi freind and after a year he grabbed the book and suspected me why this book is in home and i go you brought it and he goes i didnt and its like everytime i have to tell him no im not going out with any guy but he always link me up with his freinds and it hurts it really hurts, his dirty brain links me up with anybody without proof or rational thinking he makes up a story in his brain and i have to proof myself .

and you guys would say why dont i leave this house and go soemwhere i just cant, i really cant i feels like he would hunt me down and bug me and i dont wanna ruin relationship with my mom n dad sure my dad has flaws and alot of them but deep inside i still respect him and wont do anything that pur would my parents to shame

I knwo i cant change him i can only change myself by not paying attention to what he thinks or say but its really hard.

tommorow he will get marry and im really afraid for his wife i dont want somebodys daughter to suffer or go through what i go through, trust is a big thing in relationship if he wont trust his wife it wont last.

I just wish waheguru gives him little bit wosdom so he can be better husband and father in future because he miserably failed to become a humanely brother.

im sorry for such a long messege.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Though I'm no expert on staying in chardikala, I can share with you what Guru Sahib tells us is the answer to every problem you've mentioned in your post: naam and gurbani.

From personal experience I can tell you that engaging in more gurbani paath inevitably will start to make positive changes in yourself and your home. Many, many people have transformed their family lives simply by becoming more involved in sangat, keertan, practicing nitnem, etc. The problem is that so few people have sharda in the power of gurbani. It's really sad that when Guru Sahib has given us the key to ending all our suffering, and has placed it so lovingly and graciously before us, we turn our backs to this priceless gift and seek solace and comfort from somewhere else. So it is good that you are doing paath. Keep doing it. And start to practice doing paath from larivaar if you are not already doing so.

An individual in my family has had a very severe anger and depression problem for as long as I can remember. It has always been really painful for me to see her in that state. But Guru Sahib heard the bentee of the gracious gursikhs whom I had went to for ardaas, and very soon she started to do japjee sahib and some of sukhmani sahib every morning. The transformation in her that followed has been nothing short of miraculous. All I can say is, gurbani is the most powerful medicine for dukh in the entire world.

A good tip is to do at least one sukhmani sahib every day.

Also, reading inspiring gurmat literature is an important and helpful way to improve your jeevan, and bring peace into your life... as well as of those around you.

Please see:

[www.gurmatbibek.com]
as well as
[gurmatbibek.com]

May Guru Sahib do kirpa.
Thing is to see it in an opposite format- you have to have empathy and build and work on realtions whether with brother or anyone.If you see so many wrongs in him to improve it , firstly you have to see if you are either making it worse by the way you communicate to him .Absurd as it sounds it takes two to tango. Secondly all this texting -using technoolgy makes you think and make quick opinions and go on the first reaction of the mind to something and that is ususally 90% of the time wrong. Think about that for a minute, respond with thought and diligence with empathy.

here is an article which may help as well as all the sikhe stuff i.e Gurbani paath ardas etc..:

If someone is late about 70% of the time, and you expect them to be on time, that’s a rather foolish prediction, isn’t it? They may be on time, but they probably won’t be.

What many people will do is get angry with the friend who’s frequently late. Does this usually change that person’s behavior? Perhaps sometimes, but it usually has little or no effect. The person will most likely continue being late at roughly the same frequency.

Wanting a person to change doesn’t change their behavior. It’s more likely to cement the behavior in place since people tend to resist others’ demands of them.

Instead of resisting your predictions, a more sensible approach is to accept them. Accept that your friend will probably continue to be late most of the time.

Note that this doesn’t mean predicting that your friend will always be late, so you can be pleasantly surprised when they’re on time. That would be inaccurate as well. It means accepting that you don’t really know when they’ll show up and that most likely they’ll be later than they say they will. Predict based on reality, not on overly positive or negative expectations. In many cases your prediction will be a spectrum of possible outcomes with some being more probable than others.

Now your friend may change their behavior over time, but when such changes are going to occur, you’ll typically see advance evidence of them. Is your friend committed to becoming more punctual? If so, is there any physical evidence other than empty promises? For instance, when you visit your friend’s home, do you see books like How to Be Punctual lying around? Does your friend share details of their efforts to change? In other words, do you have some solid evidence that this habit will in fact be corrected?

Let me put this another way. If someone said they’d bet you $100 that your friend would be late most of the time for all get-togethers for the next six months, would you take that bet (meaning that you’re betting that your friend will usually be on time)? If you wouldn’t take the bet, it’s fair to say you expect the old behavior to continue.

If there’s no evidence of change, then your best prediction of future behavior is past behavior. In this case, the past does equal the future.

If your current prediction is that the old behavior is likely to continue, then go ahead and project this expectation forward in time for at least a decade. In the absence of clear evidence to the contrary, it’s reasonable to expect that this pattern will continue year after year for at least the next 10 years.

Now do your best to accept this prediction without resistance. Don’t try to alter it for emotional reasons.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, so if you’re clear about the past behavior, you can reasonably expect that it will continue as-is for the most part, absent any serious commitment to alter course. Change is always possible, but entertain the possibility that it may not happen.

Now with this newfound acceptance in mind, how does that affect your relationship with your friend? Does it mandate that you kick this person out of your life? Not necessarily. What it means is that you can now account for the likelihood that this person will be late most of the time. This means your decisions will be more intelligent since they’ll be based on more accurate predictions, not on false hopes.

Yesterday Rachelle and I went to a scheduled appointment. Before we went there, I checked the online reviews for this particular establishment. Out of six reviews, it had five 0-star ratings and one 1-star rating, out of 3 stars possible. Reviewers complained that the employees were slow and lazy and obviously hated their jobs. They all got served eventually, but everyone complained about the slow speed, and it was clear that they were frustrated. A common frustration was that an appointment that should have taken 5 minutes ended up taking 30-40 minutes.

Where does that should come from? It comes from people’s subconscious predictions. These reviewers’ predictions were inaccurate, by a factor of 6-8 or so, and the attachment to these predictions induced frustration.

We could have taken our business elsewhere of course, but that didn’t seem necessary. We simply updated our predictions based on the reviews. Maybe they’ll be faster with us, we thought, but most likely the appointment would take 30-40 minutes or longer. Since the day before our visit was a holiday (4th of July), I was able to add that to the prediction, figuring it could be more crowded than usual, meaning we could be in for a longer wait.

Because of these expectations, I went in prepared, bringing my iPhone with audio programs to listen to and my Macbook so I could do some work if I wanted to. As it turned out, we ended up waiting for more than an hour. However, I enjoyed my time there and wasn’t angry or frustrated since I didn’t bring an inaccurate prediction like “this should take 5 minutes” with me. Instead I used the time to listen to an audio program and to do some online research.

Now if it was a problem to have this appointment take so much time, we could have gone elsewhere, but going in with reasonable expectations made that adjustment unnecessary.

Back to the friend who’s usually late…

If a non-punctual friend is a problem for you, you can always drop this person from your life. But you can also adapt flexibly to their expected lateness if you’d still like to maintain a relationship with them. Which approach you use depends on the nature of your relationship.

For instance, if this is a working relationship, and the other person’s lateness is costing you money or lost opportunities, you may find it best to drop them from your team and give more attention to people who are more punctual.

But if this is a casual relationship with someone you otherwise enjoy spending time with, you may not need to drop them. You can simply update your expectations accordingly. Don’t invite this friend to anything that requires their timely presence. Instead, invite them to hang out when you have a flexible schedule and when their lateness wouldn’t be a problem. You can arrive on time and bring something to occupy you if your friend shows up late. You could catch up on emails, organize your laptop hard drive, or enjoy some reading or audio listening.

I use this approach when meeting people for the first time. If I don’t know them yet, I can’t predict whether they’ll be punctual or not. Most people show up pretty much on time. Some arrive late. And a very small percentage flake completely. This spectrum of outcomes isn’t a problem, however. If people show up early or on time, great. If not, I can pull out my iPad and do some reading till they show up. And if they don’t show up at all, I’ll simply enjoy the time on my own and occupy myself in other tasks.

Predicting behavior happens subconsciously and is unavoidable. We can’t stop making predictions because this is hard-wired into our brains. Your brain can’t help but predict what word will come at the end of this _____. You’re going to predict what number comes after 2 4 6 _. You’ll even predict the missing lette_.

So don’t try to avoid making predictions. That would be futile. Instead, give yourself permission to accept your predictions as they come. Do your best to release attachment and resistance that gets in the way of making more accurate, flexible, and intelligent predictions. Pay attention to what’s happening and with what frequencies, both with respect to general behavioral patterns and with specific individuals.

Now suppose I meet a few times with someone, and I can see that they’re usually late. Am I going to invite them someplace where their late arrival would cause negative consequences? No. Would I hire them to work in a position where punctuality was important? Of course not. Could I still engage with them casually when their lack of punctuality wouldn’t cause any difficulties? Sure.

How does prediction play out in business?

Just as people can succumb to unreasonable expectations in their personal lives, they make similar mistakes in business. People enter bad business deals and make bad investments often. Then for emotional reasons, they try to convince their brains to alter these predictions. “This investment is likely to lose money if I stay with it” gets wrangled into, “I’m sure this stock will start trending upwards soon.”

Good predictions are emotionless. You may take emotional input into consideration, especially when predicting human behavior, but it’s unwise to allow your predictions to become tainted by emotion. Good prediction is based on recognizable patterns, not on hope, divine intervention, or unrealistic odds.

Good prediction, therefore, requires good data. If you’re new to business, you won’t necessarily be able to predict your long-term performance. You’ll need to try out some deals first, develop some new income streams, and put your behaviors to the test. Then you’ll have some data to see how your performance is shaping up. With this data and some good, emotionless predictions, you can identify and target areas for growth.

A common mistake people make is looking to other people’s business results to predict their own. This is like looking at someone else’s punctuality to predict your own. You might pick someone who’s just like you and come up with a fairly accurate prediction, but you could just as easily choose poorly. Just because other people are late doesn’t predict that you’ll be late.

What you can learn from others, however, is which patterns are more likely to lead to success than others. Many people try to do this at the level of behavior, but other people’s behaviors can be very difficult to model if you don’t understand the thoughts, beliefs, and motivations that generate those behaviors.

Modeling other peoples’ thoughts and beliefs is also fairly difficult. Quite often successful people don’t even know which thoughts contributed to their success and which didn’t. Many books that attempt to share these success patterns are contradictory. Some people claim to have succeeded with a strong work ethic and tremendous persistence, while others preach that success is about grace, ease, and flow.

I suggest that if you want to model others’ success patterns, then what you really need to model is their predictive abilities. You don’t need to copy their thoughts, beliefs, or behaviors. You just need to understand their predictions. If you understand how and why they make the predictions they do, then you can learn to make similar predictions, and this will give you the right insights to make intelligent choices in a similar domain.

For instance, if you want to model Warren Buffet at stock investing, don’t try to copy his behavior. And don’t worry about modeling his thoughts, beliefs, and self-image. Instead, seek to understand how and why he makes the predictions he does. Why does he expect certain companies to increase in value? What factors does he use in making these predictions? Note that if you understand his predictions, then you could make similar profitable investment decisions.

You may also notice that people who have excellent relationship skills are also very skilled at making predictions in their social interactions. They have a good grasp of how other people will react to various stimuli. They can predict with good accuracy when a certain behavior would be perceived as creepy while a similar but slightly different action would be seen as sexy.

If you’ve been following my passive income series, you can use this idea to your advantage to improve your income-generating skills. Don’t worry so much about making money right out of the gate. Instead, begin to think about which opportunities are more likely to produce hits than others.

Consider new products that are just being released. How well do you think they’ll sell? What do you think about the new Microsoft Surface tablets? Will those be hits or flops? What about the new Google Nexus? What about the iPhone 5? Which products do you expect to become hits, and why? On what factors are you basing your predictions?

If you’re going to create an ebook for your next passive income stream, go to Amazon.com, search on some topics that interest you, and see what the top sellers are. See if you can determine why they became top sellers and why other books in the same genre didn’t. One key factor is surely the author. Popular authors are more likely to release hits than unknown authors. But what about unknown authors that release runaway hits? What are the contributing factors there? Is it their choice of genre, writing style, marketing methods, pricing, etc? See if you can predict which factors matter and which don’t.

Luck and randomness play a role of course, but there are plenty of elements that can be controlled, even for first-time authors. Why not give yourself every advantage by reproducing the factors that are more likely to predict success and avoiding the factors that are more likely to result in failure? Why bother writing a book in a genre that’s known for dismal sales, for instance?

As you develop the ability to make more accurate predictions about what will sell well and what won’t, this will give you the ability to make better decisions when creating and launching your own products.

One strategy I used for growing my website traffic was to pay attention to traffic spikes and to note which articles caused those spikes. I did my best to understand why some articles generated huge traffic spikes while most articles had very little effect on traffic. With this knowledge I was able to deliberately write more articles that I expected would boost my traffic. I used the data to improve my predictions, and then I used what I learned from these predictions to make better decisions. I wasn’t always right of course, but my results still improved markedly.

Being a little more accurate in your predictions can lead to being more intelligent in your decisions, and over a period of years, this can lead to enjoying significantly improved results, both personally and professionally.

Overall your brain is brilliant at making predictions. Let it do its job, and do your best to accept its predictions with calmness and detachment. Base your decisions on these flexible and intelligent predictions, not on expectations that have been corrupted with excess emotional residue.
Nice write up NS44. You have suggested some good tools for better personal and professional relationships, time management, making our time productive and fruitful when external factors are beyond our control. Thank you.

What is the "Passive Income Series" and where can I get more information on that. Could you please share your website address.

MahNalayak
sk jee.
Thank you but I dont know what is path from larivaar, I googled it and I think its from shri guru granth sahib jee you mean im sorry?
and also I dont know whom should I go for ardaas becasue we have ony one gurdwara here and its mostly run by politicians and I dont feels like anybody over there can help me.

ns44 jee.. thank you for the article and I understand I need to accept it because I cant change someone, so I ll try.
Larivaar means that there are no spaces separating the words. Gurbani roop is larivaar. If the words are separated it is called pad-ched, which is not the true roop of gurbani. Doing paath from pad-ched is a recent and modern trend and doesn't have as much spiritual benefit as doing paath from larivaar.

Sukhmani Sahib larivaar pdf: [www.dropbox.com]
Daily hukamnama in larivaar: [www.panthkhalsa.org]

You are right that there's no use asking ardaas from people who do not even follow the principals of Sikhi, but you can always do ardaas on your own. Guru Sahib says, "Jee kee birtha hoe so gur peh ardaas kar", meaning, If your soul is feeling sad then go before the Guru and do ardaas. This shabad goes on to explain that with ardaas, sangat, and seva of Guru Sahib, all our problems and pains can disappear. Vaheguru can fill us with overflowing joy, in an instant. smiling smiley
oh thats why most of the sikhs here write without any seperation in words, I never knew it before so that means shri guru granth sahib is written in larivaar form too, wow im gonna go and ask my mom about it too
when i do path from larivaar it pronounced as same as from the modern gutka right or do i try to say whole line in one word as much possible most of the video i hear for path are usually like modern way. it doesnt matter right? it just that reading from larivaar is lil bit hard than reading from modern gutka but overall pronocuiation is pretty much same? sorry if question is confusing and sorry for asking dumb questions i should have known all that.
thanks for explaining me.
Hanjee bhenjee, you still pronounce it so that each shabad/word is distinct, just as you would normally. Like you said, it's a little harder, but with practice it gets much easier and you'll be surprised at how simple reading larivaar actually is. smiling smiley

Yes, Guru Sahib's saroop is larivaar. Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee has always only been larivaar. It was only in the 20th century that maha-manmat practices crept into the panth and people started to print pad-ched birs. That's why alot of Sikhs don't know about this grave infringement of hukam, and your mom might not know about it either. You can watch this short film for more information:

If you want to work on imrpoving your bani-reading skills, check out the santhiya section of this website. At the same time, you can practice reading banian that you are already familiar with from larivaar. If you have an ipod/iphone/android etc you can download the "Sundar Gutka" app, and if you go to settings there is actually a larivaar option which you can turn on.
Thanks for the video and yes mom was not that much aware of it either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login