ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਦੀਨ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦਰ ਕਮੰਦੇ - Gazal

Posted by Vista 
Please can you translate the first two lines too, I couldn't find them on this old post I found. I just love the words and analogy Bhai Nand Lal jee uses.

ਦੀਨ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦਰ ਕਮੰਦੇ ਆਂ ਪਰੀ ਰੁਖ਼ਸਾਰਿ ਮਾ ॥
ਹਰ ਦੋ ਆਲਮ ਕੀਮਤੇ ਯਕ ਤਾਰਿ ਮੂਏ ਯਾਰਿ ਮਾ ॥

---------
I will try to translate to the best of my ability. I don't have a steek of Bhai Nandlal jee at this time, therefore the translation may not be up to par:

----------
ਮਾ ਨਮੇ ਆਰੇਮ ਤਾਬੇ ਗਮਜ਼ਏ ਮਿਯਗ਼ਾਨਿ ਊ ॥
ਯਕ ਨਿਗਾਹੇ ਜਾਂ ਫ਼ਿਜ਼ਾਇਸ਼ ਬਸ ਬਵਦ ਦਰਕਾਰਿ ਮਾ ॥

----------

The first pankiti means that I cannot sustain or bear the movement of the eyebrows of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj. ‘Maa Namay Aaraem taabay’ - I cannot bear it. “Ghamza-e-Miyghaan-e.oo” means the Ishaara of his eyes. The word “Ghamza” is used to describe the killer glance of your pyaara. Mirza Ghalib has used this word in one of his shayers as follows:

Yeh paree chehra log kaise hain.
Ghamza-o-Ishwa-o-Adaa Kya hai.

Ghamza means ishaara or communication done through eyebrows. Bhai Nandlal jee is basically saying that when his pyaara i.e. Siri Guru jee looks at him, he can’t bear it i.e. he is so much filled in Rass.

The second pankiti means that ‘just one glance that is life-filling, is enough for me’. Yak means one, nigaah means glance, jaan-fizaayash means life-giving. Darkaar means enough.

-------

ਗਾਹਿ ਸੂਫ਼ੀ ਗਾਹਿ ਜ਼ਾਹਿਦ ਗਾਹਿ ਕਲੰਦਰ ਮੇ ਸ਼ਵਦ ॥
ਰੰਗਹਾਏ ਮੁਖ਼ਤਲਿਫ਼ ਦਾਰਦ ਬੁਤੇ ਅੱਯਾਰਿ ਮਾ ॥

--------

Here Bhai Sahib talks about the spiritual greatness of Guru Sahib. Sufi means a Sufi Faqir. Zaahid means a religious scholar that follows Sharia to the fullest. Kalandar means a spiritual faqir. Ranghaaye is the plural of Rang or colour. Mukhtalif means different.

The whole shayer means that ‘O Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaj, you alone pervade or exist within the Sufi, Zaahid and a Kalandar. These seem like different colours, but in reality you alone are pervading in everyone.

--------
ਕਦਰ ਲਾਲੇ ਊ ਬਜੁਜ਼ ਆਸ਼ਿਕ ਨਦਾਨਦ ਹੇਚ ਕਸ ॥
ਕੀਮਤੇ ਯਾਕੂਤ ਦਾਨਦ ਚਸ਼ਮਿ ਗੌਹਰ ਬਾਰਿ ਮਾ ॥

---------

Kadar means keemat, laal means jewel, Bajuz means without, aashiq means lover. Chasham means eye, gauhar means jewel.

The whole shayer means that the price or kadar of a jewel is not known by anyone other than the aashiq or lover. The price of Vaheguru-roopi jewel is known only by our eye (chasham) that is shedding jewel-roopi tears all the time.

----------
ਹਰ ਨਫ਼ਸ ਗੋਯਾ ਬਯਾਦੇ ਨਰਗਸੇ ਮਖ਼ਮੂਰਿ ਊ ॥
ਬਾਦਾ ਹਾਏ ਸ਼ੌਕ ਮੇ ਨੌਸ਼ਦ ਦਿਲੇ ਹੁਸ਼ਿਆਰਿ ਮਾ॥

----------

Har means every, nafas means every moment, goiya means Bhai Nandlal jee, Nargis is a kind of flower, Makhmoor means intoxicated, Bada means liquor or sharaab and here it means the spiritual sharaab of Naam.

The whole shayer I think means that every moment ‘Goiya’ (Bhai Nandlal jee’s poet-name) stays intoxicated in the yaad or remembrance of beautiful flower like Vaheguru. Even though he is intoxicated in the spiritual shauq, still his heart is hoshiyaar or alert in his yaad.

Bhai Sahib’s baani is of very high level and my intelligence is very lowly. A lot of mistakes may have been committed. Sangat bakash lave.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaheguru?
Bhai Kulbir Singh jee has translated this before as follows...

dheen dhuneeaa dhar kama(n)dhae aaa(n) paree rukhhasaar maa ||
har dho aalam keemathae yak thaar mooeae yaar maa ||

Bhai Nandlal jee has called Siri Guru Dasmesh jee's face - Pari Rukhsaar i.e. beautiful as fairies (pari means extremely beautiful). Vaheguru knows in what mauj Bhai Nandlal jee remembered Guru Sahib this way. In the next line Bhai Sahib goes on to write that the two worlds (this world and the next one) are merely equal to one hair (moo) of his yaar - Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj.

maa namae aaraem thaabae gamazeae miyag(h)aan oo ||
yak nigaahae jaa(n) izaaeish bas bavadh dharakaar maa ||

The first line means that I cannot sustain or bear the movement of the eyebrows of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj. ‘Maa Namay Aaraem taabay’ - I cannot bear it. “Ghamza-e-Miyghaan-e.oo” means the Ishaara of his eyes. The word “Ghamza” is used to describe the killer glance of your pyaara. Mirza Ghalib has used this word in one of his shayers as follows:

Yeh paree chehra log kaise hain.
Ghamza-o-Ishwa-o-Adaa Kya hai.

Ghamza means ishaara or communication done through eyebrows. Bhai Nandlal jee is basically saying that when his pyaara i.e. Siri Guru jee looks at him, he can’t bear it i.e. he is so much filled in Rass.

The second line means that ‘just one glance that is life-filling, is enough for me’. Yak means one, nigaah means glance, jaan-fizaayash means life-giving. Darkaar means enough.

gaahi sooee gaahi zaahidh gaahi kala(n)dhar mae shavadh ||
ra(n)gehaaeae mukhhathal idhaaradh buthae aayaar maa ||

Here Bhai Sahib talks about the spiritual greatness of Guru Sahib. Sufi means a Sufi Faqir. Zaahid means a religious scholar that follows Sharia to the fullest. Kalandar means a spiritual faqir. Ranghaaye is the plural of Rang or colour. Mukhtalif means different.

The whole shayer means that ‘O Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaj, you alone pervade or exist within the Sufi, Zaahid and a Kalandar. These seem like different colours, but in reality you alone are pervading in everyone.

kadhar laalae oo bajuz aashik nadhaanadh haech kas ||
keemathae yaakooth dhaanadh chasham gaehar baar maa ||

Kadar means keemat, laal means jewel, Bajuz means without, aashiq means lover. Chasham means eye, gauhar means jewel.

The whole shayer means that the price or kadar of a jewel is not known by anyone other than the aashiq or lover. The price of Vaheguru-roopi jewel is known only by our eye (chasham) that is shedding jewel-roopi tears all the time.

Note - In Islamic terminology, yaakooth is a heavenly stone which fell from heaven and it is what the Holy Kaabaa is made of. Those Muslims who have visited Mecca say that this stone has an amazing scent like smell. Therefore as per Bhai Nand Lal ji, only an aashiq would know the worth of this heavenly stone, here referring to Vaheguru-roopi jewel.

har naas goyaa bayaadhae naragasae makhhamoor oo ||
baadhaa haaeae shaak mae naashadh dhilae hushiaar maa ||

Har means every, nafas means every moment, goiya means Bhai Nandlal jee, Nargis is a kind of flower, Makhmoor means intoxicated, Bada means liquor or sharaab and here it means the spiritual sharaab of Naam.

The whole shayer I think means that every moment ‘Goiya’ (Bhai Nandlal jee’s poet-name) stays intoxicated in the yaad or remembrance of beautiful flower like Vaheguru. Even though he is intoxicated in the spiritual shauq, still his heart is hoshiyaar or alert in his yaad.

The only thing I added was the paragraph about "yaakooth".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login