ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Guru Nanak Was Born a Hindu"

Posted by sk 
"Guru Nanak Was Born a Hindu"
November 11, 2012 01:34PM
Are there any historical sources on Guru Nanak Dev Ji's childhood? My Indian History Prof made the statement that Guru Sahib was "born a Hindu" and the only thing that can make him change his stance is "historical evidence". I would like to prove to him that, from childhood, Guru Sahib rejected the Vedas and Hindu practices, and therefore could not have been considered a Hindu.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
people say that a lot, but if you look at it from a logical standpoint, it doesn't mean anything at all, being born into a hindu family doesn't make someone a hindu, just like being born into a Sikhi family doesn't make you a sikh, until you act the part too.

Most of the singh's that i've asked have told me that bhai Veer singh's history books are the most reliable source for guru sahibaan sakhiyaa, the Guru Nanak Dev Jee addition is sure to have a lot of accounts of Guru sahib rejected mamat. If your teacher actually wants to read it himself, i've heard the Max Arthur Macauliffe encyclopedia of sikhi is a good source, although i haven't read them myself.
Vaheguroo!

hahahahhaa your so funny bhenji, I can't believe it!

Guru Sahib jee was born a " Sikh Guru". Religion is a matter of one's beliefs and not the family's religion your born in. In fact,I believe the parents weren't hindu either. They should be one of neutral families living in India,having strong believe in God but not into particular religion.
I am sorry for lack of evidence your looking for,because I never needed them to having me certain about Sikh history.

You don't call new born "a Gursikh" untill him get Pashed.

The "Guy" your talking about needs to Correct the definition of the religion and Who are people belongs to it,before he can question Sikh history.
Re: "Guru Nanak Was Born a Hindu"
November 11, 2012 05:01PM
Bhawan Gill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vaheguroo!
>
> hahahahhaa your so funny bhenji, I can't believe
> it!
>
> Guru Sahib jee was born a " Sikh Guru". Religion
> is a matter of one's beliefs and not the family's
> religion your born in. In fact,I believe the
> parents weren't hindu either. They should be one
> of neutral families living in India,having strong
> believe in God but not into particular religion.
> I am sorry for lack of evidence your looking
> for,because I never needed them to having me
> certain about Sikh history.
>
> You don't call new born "a Gursikh" untill him
> get Pashed.
>
>
> The "Guy" your talking about needs to Correct the
> definition of the religion and Who are people
> belongs to it,before he can question Sikh history.

I know jee. My concern is that the prof is telling students in university that Guru Sahib grew up as a Hindu. He does not seem to think that Guru Sahib had been able to grow up not believing in Vedic religion.

Thanks guptbabber84. Yes, Macauliffe has a good chapter on how anti-Sikh cults propagated ideas that would degrade the status of Guru Sahib, such as the idea that Guru Sahib was a follower of Bhagat Kabir Jee.

And you are right, calling Guru Sahib a Hindu does not make logical sense, when Guru Sahib clearly rejected the Vedas. But the prof seems to believe that Guru Sahib grew up with Hindu beliefs, and later on changed them based on introspection.
At the age of 7 or so, Guru Sahib recited the Bani of Patti Likhi ( [gurmatbibek.com] ). Merely reading this Bani shows that Guru Sahib was no ordinary child. You can also tell him the sakhi of a cobra protecting Guru Sahib as He slept in the fields. He was Aap Naraayan Kaladhaar Jag Mein Parvario.
November 11, 2012 06:23PM
Thank you veerjee, I forgot about Patti Likhi. I'd like to show him that bani.
November 11, 2012 10:34PM
Does Guru Nanak Chamatkar provide good evidence too Jio?
bhul chuk muaf
Sat Sri Akal
November 11, 2012 11:21PM
Here is link: [www.dropbox.com]
November 11, 2012 11:33PM
Instead of answering such questions we should ask counter questions.Such as follows :

1) Will a child born in Doctor's house can be called Doctor by default. In future will that child be given job in hospital on birth basis.
2) Will a child born in Painter's house can be called Artist by default.
3) Can the children of Einstein be given job in NASA because their father had won Nobel prize.

If the answers to above questions are NO. Then religion also cannot be inherited. It has to be practiced and earned. You should tell Prof. that he is NOT Hindu because he has not yet earned it. Prof. is just thinking that he has inherited his religion but alas that is not how the things work in spiritual sphere. In worldly sphere such inheritance concept may work.

To add further.

When Guru Jee was born the Jyot or Prakaash had entered the body later after taking birth. So now come a question, who has a religion ? Body or soul ? We all are Jyot of Waheguru. Body is just a house or vessel for soul. Body eventually gets destroyed. But what remains is soul/jyot/prakaash.

Finally ask Prof. what makes him Hindu. What is defination of Hindu. Who is Hindu according to whom and what. What one has to do so that one can be called Hindu. Once he starts answering these question, you will see that none of these things would have been done by our Guru Jee and eventually Prof. himself would have proven that Guru Jee was not hindu.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
[www.world-religions-professor.com]

This may be of some help to u
It does not matter if Guru Nanak was born a hindu or not. He loudly proclaimed "Na koi Hindu naa Musalman" and he was neither. He rejected both the Hindu and the Islamic philosophy and gave us Gurmat. Ignore the teacher. He is in it just for the argument sake.
November 28, 2012 06:55AM
3.1 The age according to the class (varna)

According to ‘Ashvalayan Gruhyasutra’ (1.19), this rite is to be performed during the eighth year in a Brahman (priest), the eleventh year in a Kshatriya (warrior) and the twelfth year in a Vaishya (businessman). The reason for this is that for Vratabandha the minimal requirement of the sattva component is 30% and a child of the respective class can achieve it at that particular age as given in the table below.

The Class
(varna) The sattva component at birth % The age in years at which 30% sattva level is achieved
1. Brahman 25 8
2. Kshatriya 23 11
3. Vaishya 20 12
4. Shudra 19 17
In the olden days boys got married before seventeen years of age. After the thread ceremony one had to live with the Guru to learn the scriptures. This was not possible after marriage. Thus performing the thread ceremony was of no use to the Shudra (labourer) and hence he did not have the right to perform it.

Manu (2.37) proposes another explanation: To acquire divine splendour one should perform the thread ceremony of a Brahman in the fifth year of life, to acquire strength it should be performed on a Kshatriya in the sixth year and to acquire wealth, on a Vaishya in the eighth year.

[www.hindujagruti.org]

Above is from a website after I searched, that at which age sacred thread is to be worn. History says that GURU NANAK SAHIB JI denied to wear this thread. So this can be the age (with historical evidence) when GURU SAHIB told HIS family that HE was not a HINDU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login