ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where can we find the details about Baba Gurbaksh Singh ji?

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

I am trying to learn about the history of Baba Gurbaksh Singh ji who led the jatha of Singhs during mid 1700's. I have access to small articles related to his life. I am specifically looking for details about his Jatha who was living in Jungles of Dera Baba Nanak. Who were the key members of his Jatha and any other detail information

Does Pracheen Panth Prakash has some history about it?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Pracheen Panth Prakash alone has major information about Baba Gurbaksh Singh and other Singhs like Bhai Tara Singh Vaan, Bhai Mehtab Singh Meerakoti, Bhai Sukha Singh Mari-Kambho etc. This is why Sardar Karam Singh Historian has written that he wishes he could kiss the hands of Sardar Rattan Singh Bhangu the author of Pracheen Panth Prakash. If he had not written about these Singhs, we would have not known about our history of 1700s.

Kulbir Singh
you can find info about Baba Jee in this link:

[www.tapoban.org]
Are you referring to Baba Gurbaksh SIngh Ji defended Amritsar or Baba Gurbakh Singh Ji aka Banda Singh Bahdur?

I agree with Veer Kulbir SIngh Jee, we are indebted to historians such as Bhai Rattan Singh who has preserved some of our history. However, keep in mind everything he says about puratan Sikhs may not be accurate historically or in accordance to Gurmat ( ex Singhs eating Jhatka) . Bansvalinama also has a chapter dedicated to Banda SIngh Bahadur Ji this too may have information which may not be accurate. I think your best bet is to read " Sada Virsa" by research scholar Giani Harbans Singh Ji this book has a chapter dedicated to Baba Ji.
Thanks, I agree that there are too many mistakes in Panth Prakash and other such historic texts as in one paragraph it mentioned Babaji having Sukha etc.

I was referring to Baba Gurbaksh Singh ji who defended Amritsar sahib (I believe he was the head of one of the Misl). There are couple of stories around Bhai Bijla Singh who was the best spy of his Jatha and used to find all the information on the Mughals activities. He helped rescue couple of Hindu girls most of whom got Amrit di Daat and kept Sarbloh and Bibek Rehat and had great achievements. They dedicate it to meditation and food bibek.

So for that I wanted to read about those stories and include the importance of food bibek as part of the stories I write to convey importance of bibek to the kids. I will read Sada Virsa as well.

Thanks, I agree that there are too many mistakes in Panth Prakash and other such historic texts as in one paragraph it mentioned Babaji having Sukha etc.

I was referring to Baba Gurbaksh Singh ji who defended Amritsar sahib (I believe he was the head of one of the Misl).

Baba Ji was head of the Tarna Dal misil after Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji in addition he was the Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht after Shaheed Bhai Mani SIngh Ji.

SInce he was a Nihang I think Rattan Singh Bhangu tried to incorporate rehats he followed which was prevalent among the Nihangs of his time; thus, we hear mention of him taking SUkha in the early morning which is really an absurd statement. No doubt he loved (adored) shasters, kept strong amrit vela, loved sarab loh, but saying he took sukha is stretching it too far. He was a great gurmukh he would never do something which was prohibited in Gurbani.
The thing about puraatan sources one should always read them with the touchstone of Gurbani. Accept whatever is in accordance with Gurbani and ignore those parts that oppose Gurbani/Gurmat(such as Bhang drinking, meat). One should read Panth Prakash. It is beautifully written in poetic form plus it shows the lifestyle of puraatan Singhs. But reading it with the touchstone of Gurmat is the key to truly understanding these sources.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login