ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tankhahnama -- Bhai Nand Lal Ji

Posted by AmanjotSingh 
I Came Across This Tankhahnama By Bhai Nand Lal Ji:

ਸੂਹਾ ਪਹਿਨ ਲਏ ਨਸਵਾਰ|| ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਮ ਕਰੈ ਖੁਆਰ||੧੦||

But Didnt Understand The Meaning Of What Bhai Nand Lal Ji Is Telling Us Sikhs?

Could Some Gurmukh Sajan Help This Daas In Understanding What It Means?

Thanks In Advance

Amanjot Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ਸੂਹਾ ਪਹਿਨ, ਲਏ ਨਸਵਾਰ|| ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ, ਜਮ ਕਰੈ ਖੁਆਰ||੧੦||

If one wear red and takes tobacco, Guru Gobind Singh said, Jamm gives such person hard time.

Kulbir Singh
Just like Bhai Kulbir singh said , *suha rang* is red color and Naswar is form of a wet tobacco which people siniff/inhale to get high.

Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
Kulbir Singh
If one wear red and takes tobacco, Guru Gobind Singh said, Jamm gives such person hard time.

Bhai Sahib Jeeo what does Red color mean here.

Is it referring to Red Color of Tobacco.

Or wearing Red Color Clothes like wearing Red Color Shirt, T-Shirt, Pagdi etc....

Or is it Red Color Tilak, Tika, Sindoor etc... which is done as per hindu mat.

Or is it the Red Color Abeer (the color powders used during holi festival) in which hindu Sadhus cover their body with and smoke marijuana kind of stuff.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
When I took Amrit I was specifically told not to wear red or green clothing.

Can someone explain if this shabad has any relevance here?

ਸੂਹਵੀਏ ਸੂਹਾ ਵੇਸੁ ਛਡਿ ਤੂ ਤਾ ਪਿਰ ਲਗੀ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥

ਸੂਹੈ ਵੇਸਿ ਪਿਰੁ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਦਝਿ ਮੁਈ ਗਾਵਾਰਿ

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਸੂਹਾ ਵੇਸੁ ਗਇਆ ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਮਾਰਿ ॥

ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਰਤਾ ਲਾਲੁ ਹੋਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਰਤੀ ਗੁਣ ਸਾਰਿ ॥

ਸਦਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਮਨਿ ਭੈ ਭਾਇ ਕਰੇ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਮੀ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਪਿਰੁ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਉਰ ਧਾਰਿ ॥੧॥
Unjaan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I took Amrit I was specifically told not to
> wear red or green clothing.
>
> Can someone explain if this shabad has any
> relevance here?
>
> ਸੂਹਵੀਏ ਸੂਹਾ ਵੇਸੁ
> ਛਡਿ ਤੂ ਤਾ ਪਿਰ ਲਗੀ
> ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
>
> ਸੂਹੈ ਵੇਸਿ ਪਿਰੁ
> ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ
> ਦਝਿ ਮੁਈ ਗਾਵਾਰਿ
>
> ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਸੂਹਾ
> ਵੇਸੁ ਗਇਆ ਹਉਮੈ
> ਵਿਚਹੁ ਮਾਰਿ ॥
>
> ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਰਤਾ ਲਾਲੁ
> ਹੋਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਰਤੀ ਗੁਣ
> ਸਾਰਿ ॥
>
> ਸਦਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਸਬਦੁ
> ਮਨਿ ਭੈ ਭਾਇ ਕਰੇ
> ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ॥
>
> ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਮੀ ਮਹਲੁ
> ਪਾਇਆ ਪਿਰੁ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਉਰ
> ਧਾਰਿ ॥੧॥

Guru Sahib only himself knows what exactly He means in this Shabad.
Vaheguroo jeo,please forgive me as I am attempting it according to my narrow mind.

In this Shabad,Guru Shahib jee teaching us, To give up the false attempts/efforts as bride,and make a true effort to meditate on Naam to please Vaherguroo.
To explain the fact,Guru Sahib jee using an example of a Worldly bride which, She having misconception of pleasing her husband, so she dressed Red. Whereas,Guru Sahib jee say's that the true way of pleasing your husband(The Lord) is to meditate on Naam than anything else you would do .i.e Red dress.(Its the pretty much idea behind this Shabad)
In fact,there are other Shabads explaining this fact in details(as its a broad topic to understand) if you just look before and after the Shabad. Probably,20 or more shabads talking about colour red and the fact behind it.

As per main topic, is all about our Rehat. This shabad and the Hukam mentioned are inter-related.

a Math example if you have "1", only then its worth to add "0s" after it otherwise they mean nothing. i,e 10000 or 00000.
So,You must meditate on Naam to having "0" comes worthy after it. i.e Red,rehat,Bana.

Bhul Chuk di muaafi jee
Thank You Bhai Kulbir Singh & Bhai Maha_Paapi Jeo For Defining This Tankhanama By Bhai Nand Lal Ji

Amanjot Singh
I think red was the color forced on those non-muslims who wore turbans to signigy such people were slaves to the Mughal authority during Aurangzebs time. In Hindustan most people who wore turbans were Muslim clergy ( Mullas) and Hindu Clergy ( Brahmins). Brahmins mainly wore white and orange while Muslims wore both white and green. Turban is a sign of royalty and only those who played a dominant role in society were allowed to wear Turbans.

Jahangir banned all non -Muslims from wearing Turbans, riding horses, hunting, bearing arms, and having any building built which were bigger then buildings owned by Muslims . Not only did Chheva Paathah build Sri Akal Takht which became the biggest building of that time, Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji also gave hukum to his Sikhs to give shasters and horses as part of their dasvand, and in addition they should wear turbans. Most likely the color they wore was Yellow since this was the color Chheva Paatshah wore and it represents the color of Yellow. I think Baba Buddha Ji suggested this color to Mata Ganga JI, and when Chheva Paathah was a child Mata Ji would always dress him in yellow bana. Dhan are those mothers who model Mata Ji and dress their children in BaNa at a young age. During the times of Dasvin Paatshah the colors of dastar become both blue and yellow as Singhs would wear two dastars.
੧ ਸੁਰਮਈ ੨ ਸਵਯੇ ੩. ਪੀਤ ੪ ਹਰਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ।ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੁੰਭੇ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ I
Wear dark blue, white, and yellow attire which is clean. Do not wear red.
Bhai Daya Singh JI rehatnama

I know in some Amrit Sanchars, the panj tell abhilakees not to wear red or green. Many people dont really understand the logic behind this hukum because they dont study the historical background of this hukum; therefore, they start to doubt the hukum given by the panj. It would be best during Amrit Sanchars abhilakhees are told "Khalsa bana is distinct. Khalsa bana includes blue, yellow, and white ( kachhera)" . This way more people will be compelled to wear bana instead of just avoiding the colors red and green.

ਜਬ ਲਗ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਆਰਾ। ਤਬ ਲਗ ਤੇਜ ਦੀਉ ਮੈਂ ਸਾਰਾ। ਜਬ ਇਹ ਗਹੇ ਬਿਪਰਨ ਕੀ ਰੀਤ। ਮੈ ਨ ਕਰਉ ਇਨ ਕੀ ਪਰਤੀਤ।
Bhai Sukhdeep Singh Jeeo does this mean Sikh should De-Associate with Red Color ?
Do I need to sell of my Red Color Motorcycle which is giving a good average in skyrocketing fuel prices eye rolling smiley

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Red colour should be avoided for clothes and Dastaar but there is no restriction on having Red coloured car, motarbike or other electronics gadgets. That would be fetching it too far. What are we going to do about the colour of blood? Red coloured clothes were prohibited because this colour is a Chanchal colour and it incites lust.

Kulbir Singh
Jaskirat Jeeo,

you are taking my post way out of context. I am simply stating Singhs dont wear red color as part of their bana. Traditional Singhs like to keep a distinct bana and too were the traditional colors of Khalsa.

why do you wear the color blue?
Because my gurus prophecy will come true!
All caste will take amrit & chant waaheguru
the four will become equal by wearing blue

umm... i dont undersrand what you mean?
I am referring to the talk with rukan deen.
This vision cant be told it can only be seen
Remember bhia rama singh js dream???
Kulbir Singh
Red colour should be avoided for clothes and Dastaar but there is no restriction on having Red coloured car, motarbike or other electronics gadgets.

Sukhdeep Singh
you are taking my post way out of context. I am simply stating Singhs dont wear red color as part of their bana.

Bahut Bahut Dhanvaad for your reply Bhai Sahibs.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

੧ ਸੁਰਮਈ ੨ ਸਵਯੇ ੩. ਪੀਤ ੪ ਹਰਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ।ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੁੰਭੇ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ I
Wear dark blue, white, and yellow attire which is clean. Do not wear red.
Bhai Daya Singh JI rehatnama

Thanks for this. Are there any hukams referring to green attire?
I dont know of any hukum which speaks out against green attire. Through oral tradition it is known Singhs avoided the color of green. There is an emphasis to not wear red because this color was associated with slavery. In addition, Sri GUru Ji emphasized more on what colors to wear instead of what colors not to wear. Main color is dark blue and this is the color Sri GUru Ji dressed his beloved Khalsa with on the day of Vasakhi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login