ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Santhiya for Aarti Shabads

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Santhiya for Aarti Shabads
October 23, 2012 12:39PM
Please find an humble attempt to do Santhiya of Aarti related Shabads at the link below:

[www.gurmatbibek.com]

Aarti is done placing deepaks in a plate and by showering an idol with flowers etc. Aarti is a big event at Jagannath Puri, and when Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee reached there, he too was asked to participate in the regular Aarti worship but Guru Sahib kept sitting. The priests got upset at Guru Sahib and asked him why he had not participated in the Aarti worship. Guru Sahib replied by saying that He had participated in the ongoing Aarti of Vaheguru. Naturally, the priests were taken aback and did not understand what Guru Sahib had said. When they asked to explain, Guru Sahib errupted in Vismaad and the Aarti Shabad of Raag Dhanasri was sung by Him with such passion, Vismaad and skill that everyone and everything froze; and time too froze. It's here that the legendary Bengali mystic Chaitaniya Mahaprabhu realized the greatness of Guru Sahib. Many became Guru Sahib's followers and accompanied Guru Sahib as He went to Sri Lanka to see Raja Shiv Naabh.

Taking lead from Guru Sahib, other Bhagat Jan too uttered Shabads related to Aarti.

The Aarti Shabads are traditionally the following Shabads:

1. ਗਗਨਮੈ ਥਾਲੁ..., ਮਹਲਾ 1, ਰਾਗ ਧਨਾਸਰੀ।
2. ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਰਤੀ..., ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਜੀ, ਰਾਗ ਧਨਾਸਰੀ।
3. ਧੂਪ ਦੀਪ ਘ੍ਰਿਤ...., ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸੈਣੁ ਜੀ।
4. ਸੁੰਨ ਸੰਧਿਆ ਤੇਰੀ... ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ।
5. ਗੋਪਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਰਤਾ॥, ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਧੰਨਾ ਜੀ।
6. ਸਵਯਾ - ਪਾਇ ਗਹੇ... ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ।
7. ਦੋਹਰਾ - ਸਗਲ ਦੁਆਰ..., ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ

The knowledgeable readers and Gursikhs of this forum are requested to go through the file and point out any errors and omissions. The difference in this file is that there are now 4 columns in the Santhiya file. Check it out yourself and please provide feedback for improvement.

Work on Santhiya for Siri Sukhmani Sahib has begun by Guru Sahib's Kirpa.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Santhiya for Aarti Shabads
October 23, 2012 12:47PM
Great Sevaa

Just one thing I noticed whilst reading Aarti BaNee in different gutka and apps.

The Shabad which is ਧੁਪ ਦੀਪ ਘ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਾਜਿ ਆਰਤੀ ॥ is the Shirlekh for this Shabad Sri Saain?

In some Gutka it is present while others it is not. Could one check Puratan Saroops to see how it should be ..?
You are correct, Vista jeeo. Indeed the heading "ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸੈਣੁ ॥" is missing and also, "ਧੰਨਾ ॥" missing from the "ਗੋਪਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਰਤਾ ॥ " Shabad.

Thanks for pointing it out. Will update it along with other updates that Gursikhs are going to provide.

Bhai Jasjit Singh jeeo, Hunn pher Kirpa kariyo.

Kulbir Singh
This following pankti is missing a dulainkrh under the

ਧੁਪ, ਦੀਪ, ਘ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਾਜਿ, ਆਰਤੀ ।।

Preetam Singh

This following pankti is missing a dulainkrh under the ਧ

ਧੁਪ, ਦੀਪ, ਘ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਾਜਿ, ਆਰਤੀ ।।

Got it. Find more.

Kulbir Singh
October 23, 2012 01:32PM
Thank You

Here's what I found after some quick research. Shirelekhs to add for Santhiya File.

Great work!

In many of the historical Gurdwara Sahibs ( ex Bangla Sahib) other banis in aarti are included such as

Bhuke Bhagat Na keeje...
Ya Tey Parsan...
Hey Rav hay Sas
Deh Shiva
Teen lok jeh jeh rareh
Wonderful! This is what we have in the current printed Saroops as well. Looks like the file I used for Gurbani did not have these Sirlekh. These will be added in the updated file to be uploaded soon.

Kulbir Singh

In many of the historical Gurdwara Sahibs ( ex Bangla Sahib) other banis in aarti are included such as

Bhuke Bhagat Na keeje...
Ya Tey Parsan...
Hey Rav hay Sas
Deh Shiva
Teen lok jeh jeh rareh

Different Gutkas and organizations have different versions of Aarti. For the most part, I used the Aarti suggested by Sant Gurbachan Singh jee and as shown in a Gutka Sahib (1970s or early 80s) printed by Giani Mohan Singh jee Bhindranwale.

If you really think of it, the Shabads you have written are great to do Paath everyday but they don't fit in the Aarti subject matter.

Kulbir Singh
I believe those shabad work well with the other aarti shabads.

In the past , one of the most famous Gods in India was Lakhshmi ( goddess of wealth). Lakhshmi aarti was most popular amongst the Hindus. Sri Guru Ji taught its more important to serve the saintly sangat then it is to serve a stone. When in Jagannath puri Sri Guru Ji gave degh to the sangat after singing aarti. Many of the aarti shabad explain how Sri Guru Ji protects and serves the bhagats. Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji says its more important to serve saintly sangat ( langar, degh) then to perfrom hindu rituals such as Homa .

The shabads I mentioned are in favor of serving and protecting the saints ( Bhagats)
Bhagat Kabir Ji says Hau Mango saintan rehina ..

SRi Guru Ji says Sant Sahee Sada Jaga Maae

Also I was curious does the word majan ( Naam teyro aarti majan... ) have a bindi ( manjan)?

Also I was curious does the word majan ( Naam teyro aarti majan... ) have a bindi ( manjan)?

Majjan means cleaning or bathing while manjan means cleaning detergent e.g. toothpaste is called Dant-Manjan. .

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Sahib Jio,

Satbachan Jio Bhaut hee kirpa Aap Jee Dee.

With Regards,
Jasjit Singh
Thanks for the clarification Bhai Sahib. I have heard most raagi singhs sing majan but a few recite manjan.

Bhai Amanjot SIngh Ji since you have knowledge of Gurmat Sangeet please make a recording singing Aarti in Raag.
[www.youtube.com]
Gurmukh Sajan - Bhai. Sukhdeep Singh Ji

Like Bh. Kulbir Singh Ji said the normal shabads sang for aarti are, (Below), but some Guru Ghar Add Additional Dohara's & Swaiyai's..

1. ਗਗਨਮੈ ਥਾਲੁ..., ਮਹਲਾ 1, ਰਾਗ ਧਨਾਸਰੀ।
2. ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਰਤੀ..., ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਜੀ, ਰਾਗ ਧਨਾਸਰੀ।
3. ਧੂਪ ਦੀਪ ਘ੍ਰਿਤ...., ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸੈਣੁ ਜੀ।
4. ਸੁੰਨ ਸੰਧਿਆ ਤੇਰੀ... ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ।
5. ਗੋਪਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਰਤਾ॥, ਭਗਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਧੰਨਾ ਜੀ।
6. ਸਵਯਾ - ਪਾਇ ਗਹੇ... ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ।
7. ਦੋਹਰਾ - ਸਗਲ ਦੁਆਰ..., ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ

The First & Second Shabads Are Written In Raag Dhanasri.. But The 3rd, 4th And 5th Shabad Are Sung In This Raag Too.

Dhanasri is performed in the early afternoon and presents a cheerful, happy mood. It provided the setting for hymns by Guru Nanak, Guru Amar Das, Guru Ram Das, Guru Arjan and Gurfi Tegh Bahadur for a total of 101 hymns. These texts stress that man reaps what he sows. Only in the Lord may be found the riches that dispel fear and ignorance and thus cause man to realize his true self. This raga is very appropriate for worship and supplication. Guru Nanak many Bhagats have composed Aarti in this raga. The Guru has described the adoration of God by the objects of nature:

“What other worship can be compared to Nature’s own Festival of Lights,
While the Divine Music resounds within!”[9].

Ravidas, Sain, Pippa and Dhana have composed Aarti-hymns in this raga.

Aroh : Sa Ga'Ma Pa Ni Sa

Avroh : Sa _Ni Dha Pa Nla P a Ga Re Sa

Vadi : Pa

Samvadi : Sa

But The Thing Is That These Shabads Of Aarti Are Sung In Any Tune, The Marayada Of Singing Raags In The Singing Time And Melody Hasn't Really Been Followed Throughout.. Even At Darbar Sahib, The Ragi Singh Would Sing The Beginning Shabad In A Raag, But The Rest Of The Shabads The Sing Are Normally Just From Made Up Tunes, Unless You Have Some Ragi Singhs Like Prof. Kartar Singh Ji And Bhai Narinder Singh Banarasi..

I'm Not Saying That This Is A Bad Thing Or Good Thing.. Gurbani Is Gurbani At The End Of The Day But We Still Need Some Limitations Like Bhai Randhir Singh Ji Talks About Dhuni Of The Keertan?

Maybe Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji, Could Explain What Bhai Randhir Singh Ji Spoke About The Importance Of Dhuni? KeertanReets?

Gurbani Is Agaam Agadh Bodh, Only Vahegurooo Knows The Extend In Which Gurbani Is Written In..

Amanjot Singh
October 24, 2012 08:30AM
Veer Kulbir Singh jee, daas has suggestion of maybe showing these santhiya files to senior Gursikh to check for mistakes. Reading this forum it seems that Master Jaswant Singh jee is very knowledgeable in regards to Gurbani Vyakaran. Maybe these files could be shown to bhai sahib for suggestions/corrections. This way, these santhiya files will become even more shudh.

These santhiya files are very important and much needed. Santhiya from Sampardayak schools is easily available however santhiya from those learned in Gurbani Vyakaran is hard to find. This is great seva and much appreciated. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the feedback, Gupt1 jeeo.

If Guru Sahib permits, Daas has plans to run these Santhiya files by Master Jaswant Singh jee. We need to do more work on these files, before we can show them to Master jee. With each new Santhiya file, more details are emerging and now there is a need to go back and provide similar details to the previous files. You will notice that the latest files (Siri Asa kee Vaar and Aarti) has much more details than the Siri Japjee Sahib file. Once Siri Sukhmani Sahib and Punj Granthi Baanis are completed, Daas will go back and revise the old files to do Arth Vichaar as well.

Another project in mind is to create audio Paath files for these Baanis and that project is currently in works-in-process. The Gursikh who has been given this Seva is showing some laziness.

Kulbir Singh
I was thinking since its bathing instead of detergent shouldnt it be pronounced as majjan ( addak)

I was thinking since its bathing instead of detergent shouldnt it be pronounced as majjan ( addak)

Yes, and this change has been made and will reflect in the updated file soon (once I hear from Bhai Jasjit Singh jee).

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login