ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Incidents of Immediate Effects of Karma

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
We know that according to Gurmat, we are held accountable for our actions, unless we repent them before Vaheguru jee assigns us an appropriate result of our Karma. Karma in Gurmat is not an autonomous system which does not regard the intention of the doer but Karma in Gurmat is actively run by Vaheguru jee. Every day in our lives we encounter many incidents which prove that we will reap what we sow but still we don't understand. We continue doing actions under the spell of Maya without considering its long term effects. Sometimes, such incidents occur in our lives which show us that Vaheguru's justice is here and very alive. I would like to narrate two such incidents from my life, which showed immediate effects of my actions:

The incident involving Fender Bending of a Car

This incident is about 16 years old. I had been newly married and we were visiting someone's home. I was an Amritdhari person at that time. I was backing out their driveway, when accidently, the back bumper of my car hit the front left fender of a car parked on the road. I did not get out of my car but noticed that the fender of this car had become dented. I was a bit short on money and I did not want to get bad driving record. I looked around and noticed that it was dark and no one was outside. The spell of Maya came over me and I fled the scene. As I was driving home, my conscience was killing me. It was reminding me that even though no one had seen me denting the fender of that car, but Vaheguru surely had seen me and that I would have to suffer the consequences of damaging someone's car and for not taking responsibility of my actions. It was about a 7 minutes drive. By the time I reached home, I was regretting my decision to flee the scene. I did not get out of my car to go home but right away went back to the place of accident. I had fully decided that I would take ownership of my actions. I was back at the place within 15 minutes but when I got there, the car was missing from there. I knocked on couple of doors and asked if anyone knew about the missing car. No one could tell anything about the car. The car was gone and with that was also gone my chance of repenting my wrongdoing and taking ownership of my actions. I came home, and did some Paath and Ardaas seeking forgiveness for my Manmatti behaviour.

Couple of days passed by and one day I noticed that the left front fender of my car had an exact same kind of dent that I had caused to the other car. I am not sure when and how this dent on the fender of my car came. Even though my car was a new car but I felt so happy seeing the dent that it surprised my family. I was glad that the Karmic debt had been settled.

Accidently Stepping on a Gurmat Book

A Gurmat related book had fallen on the ground. It was dark and I could not see. At Amritvela, as I got up from my bed, I stepped on a book. I immediately suspected that I had stepped on a book. I got hold of the book and touched it on my forehead and then kept it back on the side table, near my bed. I thought that I would seek forgiveness later on. As was the act of Vaheguru, within few seconds, as I was walking towards the washroom to do Ishnaan, I forgot about it. When I reached the washroom, I felt a sharp pain in the sole of my foot. I could not put my body weight on that foot. The pain continued through Naam Abhyaas and Amritvela. I limped all day, while walking around at work. The whole day passed but the pain stayed on. The next day came and the pain was still there. I was sitting at work, when different but very severe pain started from my ankle area of the same foot. It was a very excruciating pain. Now two parts of my foot were paining and I was sitting there wondering, what had happened. Right there and then, the incident of the previous day flashed in my mind. I remembered that I had accidently stepped on a Gurmat related book and how the pain had started in my foot, within few seconds of the accident. I was surprised that it did not occur to me before that the pain was due to Be-Adbi of Gurbani, that I had done inadvertently.

I immediately, lowered my head and started calling out Vaheguru jee, seeking forgiveness for my actions. I realized that my mistake was that I had not done Ardaas for forgiveness. I immediately did a gupt Benti and promised to do formal Ardaas that evening. After doing Gupt Benti, the result was almost immediate. The pain in both spots of my foot subsided quite a bit. In the evening I got home and after Sodar Rehraas Sahib, I did an Ardaas and promised to do one Siri Jap jee Sahib as Paschataap (penance). The pain totally went away after that. Siri Jap jee Sahib was done soon after and an Ardaas was performed for acceptance of this Seva.

These incidents taught me some valuable lessons. We can't run away from the results of our actions. Running away from the scene of an incident or by covering the burning coals with ashes does not extinguish the fire in coals. We can't run away from Vaheguru. He is everywhere. Where can we hide from him? The best thing is to take responsibility of our actions and seek forgiveness from Vaheguru. It's easier to pay off our Karma here in this world than to get punished by Dharam Rai in the next world. Also, Gurbani must be respected to the maximum. If Be-adbi does occur, we should seek forgiveness immediately. When Pothis at Chando Kalan were burned by police, Sant Jarnail Singh jee had a Siri Akhand Paath Sahib done in Paschataap.

Please share stories from your life, related to Karma and their effects.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib jeo,

Very inspirational incidents! Thanks for sharing.

One thing which I have observed since last many years is that, many times when I think bad about someone, or I think/ discuss about anyone's unfortunate situation or shortcoming (intentionally or otherwise), then very soon, I end up facing similar situation.

For example, if someone is having a tough time with his boss, and instead of symapthizing with that person, if I think that he should handle the situation in a better way (and therefore is also responsible for his own situation), then within few days, I might also start having problems from my boss.
This is frustrating at times, I must confess!
I remember when I was in middle school, I used to make fun of this one girl, and ended up isolating her. I became very popular after that, and all her friends ended up taking my side, and leaving her. Even though the effect wasn't immediate, the following year, all my friends did the same thing to me. I ended up being isolated, and had no friends.
I started realizing that the saying "what goes around comes around" was really true, and always stand up against bullying or such sort. I'm actually glad that this happened, it ended up making me a lot stronger, and I learnt my lesson smiling smiley

Tegh Kaur

. I was backing out
their driveway, when accidently, the back
bumper of my car hit the front left fender
of a car parked on the road. I did not get
out of my car but noticed that the fender
of this car had become dented.

Bhai Sahib, what will be my fate then? If you recall, about two years ago I did something similar to your car????
Tegh Kaur, you have brought up a very important Gurmat principle related to Karma. Whenever we look down on a sinner or such person who has committed a dhill in Rehit, it becomes very likely for us to be put in a similar position. The idea is to make us realize how it feels when we are mocked for our shortcomings and mistakes. Another reason is to fill us with compassion. On the other hand if we show compassion for a person who has made a mistake and don't mock such person, then we are spared of being put into a similar position.

For example, some people start getting up at Amritvela and get a bit proud. They genuinely start wondering as to why others are not getting up at Amritvela. They start giving sermons and put people down for not getting up at Amritvela. They forget that Amritvela is a Daat and not something you can do on your own. Sooner than later, such persons start missing Amritvela. This why there is a Mahavaak in Siri Asa kee Vaar that goes as follows:

ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਨੀਚੁ ਸਦਾਏ ॥ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਮੋਖੰਤਰੁ ਪਾਏ ॥੨॥
(When the seeker does Prema-Bhagti and considers himself as lowly, then alone he finds Gurmat Mukti (salvation).

Guru Sahib in the above Pankiti gives us two Hukams in order to get salvation:

1. Do Bhaao-Bhagat i.e. Prema Bhagti.
2. Consider yourself lowly i.e. don't do Haume or pride for your Bhagti.

Kulbir Singh
Jaspreet Singh jeeo, that was a funny incident. Jaspreet Singh was driving away and I was standing in the driveway. My car was parked by the roadside, in front of me. As Jaspreet Singh passed me, he looked towards me and said Fateh. While saying Fateh, he lost control and hit my car in the rear quarter panel area. The car got dented. His father was also sitting with him. He quickly came out and generously offered to get the car repaired which he did soon after. I don't think there is any Karmic debt at all. If anything, I was a contributor to this accident since you hit my car when you were saying Fateh to me.

Thanks for reminding me of this funny incident.

Kulbir Singh
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Here goes Bhawan Gill Jio...I have so many bad karma, don't know where to start, but know for a fact my occassional disrespect to my parents, is what I am having to pay for now:/
My mother had reminded me, "your obstinate attitude, and disrespect will haunt you when you have your own children"...true enough I am paying for my karma as my daughter is treating me exactly as I behaved towards my mother...
The above is just one of my many many many karma that I thank Guru Jio for letting me pay while alive, while hoping the effects of remaining unpaid karma will not be too dire in afterlifesad smiley
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
ks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
> Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
> Here goes Bhawan Gill Jio...I have so many bad
> karma, don't know where to start, but know for a
> fact my occassional disrespect to my parents, is
> what I am having to pay for now:/
> My mother had reminded me, "your obstinate
> attitude, and disrespect will haunt you when you
> have your own children"...true enough I am paying
> for my karma as my daughter is treating me exactly
> as I behaved towards my mother...
> The above is just one of my many many many karma
> that I thank Guru Jio for letting me pay while
> alive, while hoping the effects of remaining
> unpaid karma will not be too dire in afterlifesad smiley
> Bhul chuk muaf
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
> Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Yes, its true and unfortunately all of us having good and bad deeds and we will have to face them in return. Apparently,as per Sikh history and inspiring autobiography of Gursikhs we heard of,as soon as we Confess! and give up bad deeds or misbehaviour with everyone,we start to getting recover from what we are into and Guru Sahib jee Himself helped them up.He is always there and wants us to give up the bad behaviour.

A time,someone stuck in mud, his friend is out there to pull him out but he must wants him to take his one hand outa mud, so he can hold the hand and he can pull him out.
I think we all should try and definitely he will escape all of us for sure!
Stealing

When I meet Bhai Sahib JeeVan Singh the last time, I thought came to me to take 1/2 hairs of Bhai Sahib jee that were scattered on his bed.(the hair that falls off naturally from the body daily)
The reason was I know of a issueless couple that live faraway from me that have a rack of shoes of various Gurmukhs.(late Bhai Rama Singh, Bhai Sahib and others). I was pretty jealous of them that they could obtain dust of Gurmukhs feet whenever they wanted.
Anyway, at first I dropped the devious idea, but then I thought, "ਚਲੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਾਂ ਦੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਤਾ ਕਦੇ ਨਹੀ ਹੋਂਦੇ , ਸੋਹਣੇ ਵਾਲ ਦੇਖ ਕੇ ਹੀ ਮਨ ਭਰ ਲਿਆ ਕਰਾਂ ਗੇ . " Hence, before leaving my itchy proceeded into taking 2 hairs(among many) that we scattered on the bed. Bhai Shaib who remained, very much lost before..... paid very sharp attention to my itchy hands when I was moving in to take and when I took them and stored in my Bana's pocket. (though I remember vividly there was no negative expression on his face but was aware of what I did)

Took good care of those 2 hair till I returned. I kept it safely in my small library.

I know exactly where I kept it. My memory can fail me on this on. But after a few months when I rechecked again . There were not where they were suppose to be.

If it is not in Vaahiguroo jee's will, then even sight a Gurmukhs hair is not in ones Bhaag , I have learned.(regardless of how many devious/smart/genius plans you come up with)

Chota veer
i am sorry for the typo mistakes....as I never read when I am typing fast, was in a hurry to post. corrections:
---------------------------------------------------

Stealing

When I meet Bhai Sahib JeeVan Singh the last time, I thought came to me to take 1/2 hairs of Bhai Sahib jee that were scattered on his bed.(the hair that falls off naturally from the body daily)
The reason was, I know of a issueless couple that live faraway from me that have a rack of shoes of various Gurmukhs.(late Bhai Rama Singh, Bhai Sahib and others). I was pretty jealous of them, that they could obtain dust of Gurmukhs feet whenever they wanted.
Anyway, at first I dropped the devious idea, but then I thought, "ਚਲੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਾਂ ਦੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਤਾ ਕਦੇ ਨਹੀ ਹੋਂਦੇ , ਸੋਹਣੇ ਵਾਲ ਦੇਖ ਕੇ ਹੀ ਮਨ ਭਰ ਲਿਆ ਕਰਾਂ ਗੇ . " Hence, before leaving my itchy hands proceeded into taking 2 hairs(among many) that we scattered on the bed. Bhai Sahib who remained, very much lost in his self before..... suddenly,paid very sharp attention to my itchy hands when I was moving in to take and when I took them and stored in my Bana's pocket. (though I remember vividly there was no negative expression on his face but he was aware of what I did)

Took good care of those 2 hair till I returned. I kept it safely in my small library at home.

I know exactly where I kept it. My memory can't fail me on this on. But after a few months when I rechecked again . There were not where they were suppose to be!

If it is not in Vaahiguroo jee's will, then even sight a Gurmukhs hair is not in ones Bhaag , I have learned.(regardless of how many devious/smart/genius plans you come up with)

-------------------------------------------------------------
morakhpan di khimma...

Chota veer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login