ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Panj Granthi

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Panj Granthi
September 20, 2012 06:04PM
What banis are included in Panj Granthi. I try to find out more info. from Mahan Kosh but I did not get a clear and definite answer it seems over time the banis have changed and more have been added. What is the tradition of Panj Granthi. I know in Puratan times before Aaad Granth, banis were written in seperate granths so I assumed Panj Granthi meant the five banis which were recited in ones daily nitnem. Through Bansvalinama we know Gursikhs such as Bibi AMro use to recite SRi JapJi Sahib, Sri Dakhni Oankar, Sidh Gosht and Sri Asa Di Vaar daily, and Im sure she also started reciting Sri Anand Sahib when Sri Guru Amar Das Ji became GUru. I think these banis were the longest compisitions before the time of Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji. I remember reading somewhere that Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji had a panj granthi which included rehras? Can somebody provide more information about Panj Granthi and the tradition behind it. Thanks
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Panj Granthi
September 20, 2012 07:26PM
Siri Japji Sahib, "Shabad Hazaarey", Siri Sukhmani Sahib, Siri Onkaar, Siri Sidh Gosht and Siri Asa Kee Vaar(without Chhants).

I used to read it everyday, but now there's never any time.
September 20, 2012 07:39PM
Punj Granthi gets its name from the following Baanis:

1. Siri Asa kee Vaar
2. Siri Sukhmani Sahib
3. Siri Baavan Akhri
4. Siri Oankaar Sahib (erroneously called Dakhni Oankaar)
5. Siri Sidh Gosht

The reason why Siri Jap jee Sahib, Siri Anand Sahib and Siri Rehraas Sahib appear in Punj Granthi is that these Baanis are part of our Nitnem. I think Sant Amir Singh Sato-Gali waale has mentioned these 5 Baanis as Punj Granthi and also has written that the aforementioned 5 Baanis used to be part of strict Nitnem of Puraatan Singhs. It takes only hour and a half to do all these 5 Baanis. So why not include them in your Nitnem.

Kulbir Singh
September 20, 2012 10:09PM
Bhai Kulbir SIngh Jeeo and Bhai Jaspreet SIngh Jeeo, can you provide the source where you got the information about banis included in Panj Granthi?

Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha mentions the pothi of Panj Granthi include sri japji sahib, sodar, sohila, asa di vaar and sri anand sahib. He mentions some pothis include Sri Sukhmani Sahib in the beginning.

He also mentions another version which includes, JapJi Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Swaayas, rehras, and sohila.

There is one more version which he mentions is Jaap, Sri AKal Ustat, Bachitar Natak, Gyan Parbodh, 33 swayas.
October 06, 2012 05:16PM
Where is Sukhdeep Singh Jee gone? so long haven't read his posts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login