ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How & Why No Kurmaai!

Posted by No-Bodh 
How & Why No Kurmaai!
September 08, 2012 03:27PM
Dass met Gursikhs in India who do Sangat with Pooran jee and Singhs. Gursikhs there said that Kurmaai is not needed and according to Gurmat for Gursikhs. It is a mere waste of time ritual.

I know they shaak laddo or barfi in Darbaar Sahib for Kurmaai, this is not allowed in Darbar Sahib as only Degh can be consumed in Deevan.

Can Sangat here please give reasons for no Kurmaai.

Below I found brief explanation on Kurmaai's, seems a bit pointless on the whole.

The Kurmai ceremony, which can take place months before the wedding or just before the Anand Karaj (marriage ceremony). It is the equivalent to the chunni ceremony in that the girl’s family comes to the boy’s house or gurdwara where the boy’s family have held a paath (prayer). They will invite their family and friends. Traditionally, only men from the girl’s family would come but now anyone comes, except the girl – who is not meant to go to her in-laws before marriage, at least that is the traditional custom!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: How & Why No Kurmaai!
September 08, 2012 04:41PM
In GurSikhs, typically they just do an Ardas.
September 08, 2012 08:51PM
these Punjabi customs do not apply to us nor have I ever heard of it
September 09, 2012 07:16AM
Pardon my ignorance but isn't there a shabad related to Kurmaai in Gurbani.

I am not sure what is the meaning of that Shabad. Could someone please shed light on the respective Shabad.
That should be able to give the correct answer as to whether Kurmaai is Gurmat related or not?
September 10, 2012 06:06PM
Tejasv jeeo,

Indeed there is a shabad but if you read and do vichaar it has nothing to do with what the ritual entails. Gursikhe is on a different motorway - no rituals of mahieaaaa - or kurmayee at all - just simple ardas as Jaspreet Jee has mentioned and get on with your jeevan in this chapter of life.
September 12, 2012 07:36AM
Vaheguroojee

Please pardon my ignorance but what wxactly is kurmayee?

Daas
September 12, 2012 11:11AM
It means engagement.

Some singhs do not do a formal program for engagement, only an ardaas proves sufficient.

Some will hold a formal ceremony.

Both seem Gurmat as long as the ceremony isn't a party and is a keertan in guroo sahibs hazooree and rings and stuff are not exchanged.

Bhul Chuck muaaf,

Upkaar Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login