ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

where has direction is society going?

Posted by harindersingh12345 
There are many people at my school that make fun of my pyar for sikhi. I have tried many times to get them to see the way of sikhi. These are punjabi boys and girls born in canada that have been so adapted to the modern life that they are forgetting about their own religion. Out of twenty people i asked, only 3 people knew why we have a vaisakhi nagar keertan. These boys and girls are much more likely to have diry music on their electronic devices than to have keertan on it. My question is that are those boys and girls like this because of the habitat they are in or does it have some falut on their parents?

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa
vaheguroo jee kee fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Harinder Singh ji,

Id say that its due to the bad sangat they receive from school. This is the main reason why many go from a dastar, to a patka. Then a few days later you see them with a haircut. I myself go to high school and am surrounded by these mayavi people everyday. I try to encourage sikh students to stay in sikhi, but it is not effective. This is since the opposing bad sangat has the stronger influence.

Some of the blame also goes to their parents. If their parents had kept some daily routines such as doing pathh
together or going to the local gurudwara sahib on a regular basis that could have kept them rooted in sikhi.
It also depends on how strict their parents are. Some let their child loose and leave them to decide for themselves. Where as others may have them follow certain rules and aspects of sikhi.

Bhagat Singh
Very well said Bhagat Singh jeeo. The blame lies, not only in the parents but also our Sikh organizations who are not doing Tatt-Parchaar of Sikhi. In many Gurdwara Sahibaans, the Parcharaks are discouraged from speaking against Sikh violations committed by normal people because the Prabandhaks of Gurdwaras worry that this may cause less Sangat to attend and that in turn would result in less Chadaava (donation).

Many years ago, a Kathakaar spoke against tying beard and when he came out, the committee members started arguing with him since they also used to tye beard. Same way, if some Kathakaar tells Monay people to not cut Kesh and tell them the consequences of doing so, many Monnay get upset and start fighting and arguing. Perhaps, some Kathakaars are too blunt but whatever the case, the Sangat needs to be informed of Sikhi violations and inspired to keep Sikhi.

The main problem is that the Tatt-Gurmat jeevan is missing from our lives. Amrtivela, solid Naam Abhyaas Kamaaee, Extra Gurbani Paath on top of Nitnem and adherence to Gurmat Rehit Maryada are missing from our lives. We need to follow the basic principles of Sikhi, in order to spread Sikhi. Sikhi will spread with Kirpa of Guru Sahib and Kirpa will come when we obey Guru Sahib's Hukams.

Kulbir Singh
Right Now, this will happen in school
Soon, it will become college/university
After that, it will be the workplace
Many face this at home!

It is an on going cycle my dear veer that lasts till deah, and yes, you're right, for the most part it is our "own" punjabi folks that feel the need to be discouraging and against everything and ANYTHING we do or say. With regards to bana, as an example, there have been COUNTLESS times, when punjabi people have approached me with mocking and sarcastic ways, calling me names as gyaanee, granthi and stuff. It's bound to happen when people are not into gurmat themselves, they will put you down or disregard your belief to encourage their own durmat.

On a funny note, tying a dumalla and wearing a chola usually takes care of the problem, as they are too scared to approach you, haha, as we would look more "khadkoo" to them.
On days with sidhee dastaar and kurtaa, these people usually have the nerve to come up to you with their unwelcome behaviour.

Fellow amritdhaarees are usually respectful and accept the rehit you keep. White people find it amusing and cool, and black people look as us as brothers since our beard and round dastaars remind them of their rastafarian cults. It is mostly if not always Punjabis.

Just look at it this way, that only with vaday bhaag, does one get the daan of gurmat, gursikhee and its ways and the passion to walk on Khaneyo Tikheee Vaalon Nikeee. The same people who laugh now will weep one day for criticizing you and not listening to your advice on gurmat. Any thought that keeps your jeevan up and strong is a positive thought.

Keep doing what you're doing bro, and only talk to such people who possesses the ear to listen to you, respect your vichaar, or specifically approach you to listen.

Otherwise, just ignore, and do your own thing.
Regardless of however many negatives you see and hear of Sikhe is spreading right under your noses without us realzing it.

Negatives are hard to ignore due to so many - as sant Bindranwale once said "Grass is always more than flowers" - natures way.
ns44 jee, there is no mention of sikhee increasing or decreasing in harinder singhs post. Surely I must admit he could have used a better topic subject. It is focused on the people at his school and their behaviour towards his pyaar for sikhee.

Let us all try to stick to the topic please.
Thanks Upkaar Singh jee for pointing out where I am off topic - I am indeed stil learning especially from you on how to stick to the topic so topics don't closed out early on this forum.thumbs up
u are right, i should of used a better topic
baba Harinder singh jee, the best way of doing parchar is by having a good jeevan. I remember when i first kept my kes. i walked into school, and got a lot of negativity from everyone. after, when everyone saw how a changed, they we're impressed. you just have to show them that theres something special about sikhi, thats how they will come into sikhi. Unfortunately many gursikhs do the same stuff as not amritdharis, sometimes worse, so that repels people away from sikhi.
It has a lot to do with the parents. Most punjabi parents are not interested that their kids should know about Sikhi. All they care about is that their children should have worldly education. Far from educating them on Sikhi, such parents do not even speak Punjabi with them. It's very common to see Punjabi mothers who themselves can barely speak a proper sentence in English speaking the roughest ਟੁੱਟੀ ਫੁੱਟੀ angreji with their children(makes me do face palm every time I see such mothers). The result is that the children of such parents grow up to become complete coconuts. For them Sikhi is not near nor dear to their hearts. Feel sad that such children end up wasting their Janam like the rest of humanity.

Compare this to the Muslim community. The Muslim parents always make sure their children learn to read Quran by sending them to a learned Maulana. Every Friday you can see any Mosque and it is jam packed with Muslim youth. Muslim girls on average dress modestly and have knowledge about their religion.

I think the Sikh generation that are teenagers or older are a lost case. It is better to just focus on saving the younger ones who can still be influenced and taught about Sikhi. Amritdhari parents need to lay down some ground rules in their house if they want to save Sikhi in their family. Do Paath together as a family, do Gurbani study with your children everyday, make sure your children speak Punjabi in the house and go the Gurdwara often.
Adultery, drugs, partying, going out, dating, clubbing and often also crimes is big in today's "Punjabi" generation. They are "Punjabi" because their parents, grandparents etc were. but they themselves cannot speak the language at all, nor do they have interest in the language or the religion, mainly because these things were never quite introduced to them.
Sikh teenagers are not a lost case.

Whenever guroo sahib does kirpaa even the biggest paapi can come back to sikhi. taarilae ganika bhin roop khubija..

qwrIly ginkw ibnu rUp kuibjw ibAwiD Ajwmlu qwrIAly ]
thaareelae ganikaa bin roop kubijaa biaadhh ajaamal thaareealae ||
You saved the prostitute, and the ugly hunch-back; You helped the hunter and Ajaamal swim across as well.

As for the people that make fun of you. People will always keep on saying things. That doesn't mean it should matter.
Koyee bhala kaho bhaavae bhuraa kaho ham than dhio hai daar

You have given your head to guru sahib. What people say does not matter.Only guru sahib does.
There is absolutely no point in throwing diamonds at a blind person
People are always going to think that they are right. Whatever discussion they have with you is useless. They aren't going to change unless they genuinely want to learn. Those people are rare. When they come along then teach them and help them with all your heart. But don't go wasting your energy. Don't go throwing beautiful diamonds at blind people.

Parents are always doing what they think is right. One cannot blame parents for anything. If one was meant to fall in love with gursikhi.. if one is to experience true love with gursikhi. If it is in one's preordained destiny to fall in love with gursikhi. Then those children will fall in love regardless of whether parents bring gursikh values to the family or not.

Its always easy to blame the parents. MOst of times parents do what they think is best for children. They do what they know best.
But what I am trying to get at there is no point in blaming anybody..
Everything is in his hukam. Whomever has vadae bhaag falls in love with gursikhi..

No point in worrying about the spread of sikhee. just try to make sure you do your best. And that is all that matters.
When the time comes.. maybe you should do ardaas to guru sahib to give you seva of doing parchaar of gursikhee someday?

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
absolutley wicked response singhni jeeo agree 100% I learned a lot from your reply.
Baba Harinder Singh Jee such things are common in School, Colleges, Workplaces.... these days. The solution which worked for me in Schools and Colleges is the Short Stories of Sikh History or Janam Sakhis of our Guru Sahibaans.

Manmukh and Mayavi people like gossips. They never listen to Gurmat Principle on Day 1. You need to engage them by telling stories. For this you have to do your homework very well. You have to read through Sikh History, Janam Sakhis of Guru Sahibaans and Valour of Puraatan Singhs. When you explain Sikhi in this manner they will start taking interest with respect.

The 4 Sahibjades of Sri Dasmesh Pita were of same age group of school goings kids. The Sakhi on Saheedi of 4 Sahibjades will bring tears if narrated with Passion. You can give a try with the Sakhi of 4 Sahibjades. You may prepare the Sakhi in Microsoft PPT with some pictures in it. Then invite your School friends saying you have a surprise for them. Sakhi narration with pictures in PPT does the magic because Picture capture more attention along with words.

Include little poetry in Sakhi. When Sahibjada Baba Ajeet Singh Jee was going into battlefield he said few lines to Sri Dasmesh Pita, which one poet expressed in following manner:
"Naam Ka Ajeet Hoon,
Jeeta Na Jaunga,
Jeeta Gaya To,
Fir Laut Ke Na Aunga"

Sorry if I deviated from the main topic. But I feel rather than finding out whose blame, we as a responsible Sikhs have to engage World in a Story Telling. For which we should do our homework very well.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login