ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alcohol in Gurdwara Sahib! Must Read

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
I read the following message on a different forum I though I should spread the word.

Please be aware that many of our gurdwarae use ghee bought from stores to use in langar and for degh. Some of this sold ghee is not 100% ghee but contains other ingredients. One such ingredient is ethyl butyrate, this contains ethanol, ethanol is actual drinking alcohol (sharaab). This is certainly totally forbidden for Gursikhs, imagine if someone came and put a tiny drop of sharaab in your pot of gheeo, you would not eat it, this is exactly what the company is doing.

Please make your gurdwarae and friends and family aware of this and ensure that you and your Gurdwarae only buy and use that ghee which is 100% and does not contain any added ingredients or chemicals, ideally, make the gheeo at the Gurdwara Sahib.

It is a must that we all inform Gurdwara langar and degh sevadars, committee and put up a sign to tell local sangat not to bring such ghee.

One example of a brand with this added ingredient is East End butter ghee, which lists its ingredients as;

Butterfat 99.8% Minimum, Moisture 0.2% Maximum, flavouring (Ethyl Butyrate 0.01%). (Ingredients taken from: [www.ocado.com...r-Ghee])

I think the one by East End called PURE butter ghee is ok, but even then check to see if there are any added ingredients. Same applies to the other brands such as KTC, Pride, etc. I think its best we avoid any ghee with anything added.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This different forum is Sikhsangat.com. It would have been morally ethical to atleast make a reference to it, if not post the link, but never mind. No point starting another string of arguments. Don't even know if this post will be approved, but will still give it a try.
Veer Ji,

The reference is not from Sikhsangat I do not go on that forum. The reference is from discoversikhi.com
[forums.waheguroo.com]

I purposely did not cite the reference because I remember the admin said sometime ago that they do not openly support other forums because they dont know the content on which these forums support.
Thanks for citing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login