ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hate Groups In America

Posted by GurmanSingh 
Hate Groups In America
August 09, 2012 12:42PM
Today after Amritvela, Singhs were discussing the number of white supremacists in North America. This does not seem like a very common trend in Canada, as the people here are much more liberal than in the states. But this trend is one that is on the increase in the United States. Soon we will see these hate crimes increase, and Singh's need to get prepared for any future incident. The following is an article that was written on CNN, detailing the rise of Hate groups in the states. It is estimated there are around 1000 hate groups in America.

[www.cnn.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Hate groups exist everywhere.I remember just this last month there has been two racist incidents in Toronto were people have vandalized the Gurdwara Sahibs with swasticas. America is a shasterdhari nation and much more diverse and populated then Canada for this reason there is higher percentage of hate crimes.

About a month ago I was driving through the Canadian border. As we apporached we were stopped and our vehicle was searched. As a I looked at the police officers and border agents I noticed they did not carry any shasters it reminded me of SRI GUru Jis hukums which is those with out shasters can not even regards themselves as men and people without shasters are subject to slavery. If hate crimes rise in places Canada what will the authorties use to protect the people?The trend of hate groups increase as immingration increases. Trust me as Canada welcoms more immigrants hate groups will eventually arise in these areas as well. I remember when I was in Canada a few years ago I saw a SIngh with a black eye. I asked him what happened and he said some racist attacked him.
Re: Hate Groups In America
August 09, 2012 03:03PM
I'm not sure how allowing more immigrants would increase racism, its conservative racists who are against immigration. Immigration leads to more diversity, and less racism in turn. You are right, there are hate groups here as well, but not to the extent in the United States. I have a job where i have to interact with many different everyday, and i do while in Bana. I am never afraid at what anyone will say, because everyone i have come across is very welcoming. People in Toronto are very respectful of diversity. If i had the same job somewhere else, I'm sure the amount of angry customers would increase.
Immigration increases hate because those born in the country feel threatened by the presence of foreigners. Their insecuritiesd tell them these " foreigners " will take my job or my kids job eventually.

The history of Canada and US are different. USA was bulilt by the back of slaves. WHite people did not have a problem with slaves as long as they were doing the hard labor and had no rights. As soon as the slaves were given rights and equal opportunity the white people became upset.

Canada was not built by the back of slaves; instead, Canada was built by the back of immigrants. The country needed immigrants workers to build the country so the locals did not have a problem. As immigrants become more successful then the peoples jealousy and hate arise. There are many immigrants in Canada but how many of them have top government positions. I dont know know if any ethnic person who has become prime minister in Canada but in AMerica we have a black president.

To be honest it doesnt make sense to act as though you know about a country especially if you have not lived there.
I have worked many positions wearing Bana, and the people here love it. I have worked in towns where the population is 80% white and 0% Asian, yet the people did not give me any trouble. They went out of their way to ask me about SIkhi. Many of the workers would also bring fruit for me on a regular basis. I would never claim AMerica is a perfect society in fact its very far from it, but I notice people from UK and Canada like to shape opinions about AMerica based on the media. One can really understand a country after they live in it.
August 09, 2012 04:42PM
Sukhdeep Singh Jee, immigration doesn't cause hate groups to arise. This trend of hate started due to some factors. 1st factor was 9/11 which made many western peoples suspicious of Asian people particularly Muslims (and sadly Sikhs too because of our similar appearance). Then as if things couldn't get worse, the recession happened in which the west lost a large number of many jobs. For the first time people living in the west began to feel uncertain about their future. It is in such hard economic times that society wants to find a scapegoat. Immigrants and minorities are the ones who get targeted in such instances. The western public which now fears immigrants are not looking at the real reason for their hardships(caused by the big banks and unaffordable wars) instead they are blaming immigrants. Multiculturalism is turning into a negative term in many western countries.
RSIngh,

After reading your comments Im pretty sure you are not from the U.S. nor have you lived in the U.S.. Hate amongst Sikhs or any other ethnic group did not come shortly after 9/11. Hate amongst ethinc groups from the ANglos have been existence since the inception of AMerica. It first started with the Native AMericans ( Indians) then the slaves, then the Mexicans, then the Asians and so forth. When Asians ( including SIkhs) first came into this country they were widely disciminatd against. THe locals could not stand immimgrants even though the economy was good. Eventually congress passed a law prohibiting Asians from bringing their wives to the country this way they wouldnt breed. SOme SIkhs would even get beaten up by the locals and this lead many to run to to Canada . Some stayed and had children with Mexican ladies. THis was many years ago well before 9/11. My Mama Ji grew up in AMerica and England as a Keshdhari he would often get harrased by racist. THis was some 30-40 years before 9/11.

My dad , Nana Ji , and Baba JI lived in England for many years well before 9/11. If I were to narrarate the discrimination they faced to due hate then I would be here all day. Hate exists wherever there is a muliti cultural society. Be it Canada, England. or US. People are suspicious of foreingers taking over their "home". When they see more immigrants coming the fear increases and thus the hate increases.

In AMerica, things have changed for the good. People understand Sikhs and other ethnic groups much more. In the schools people learn about other cultures, and their are labor laws which promote diversity. IM not a learned anthroplogist nor am I trying to act as one, but I just find it strange how people from UK and Canada think they know everything about this country when they really dont.
August 10, 2012 08:23PM
Sukhdeep Singh Jee, I don't think you understood what I was trying to say here. I'm not denying that racism or bigotry did not exist before 9/11 and the recession. What I meant was that racism before 9/11 and recession was more subtle and hidden. The racists amongst the western people did not openly show their racism because being labelled racist or bigot held a very negative tag attached to it. But right after 9/11 many racists began to display their bigotry out in the open because now their behavior was beginning to be seen as "patriotism". I remember right after 9/11 there was a congressman or sanator who openly referred to the enemy as "towel heads" and no one in America thought anything wrong it. Many Sikhs began to be called Osama or terrorist without any regret but before 9/11 such hateful behavior displayed out in the open would have been almost unheard of.

Ask any Muslim American and he will tell you how difficult it has been for him since 9/11. I know Muslims who say after 9/11 they have been strip searched in airports. Can you imagine the shame they must feel at being searched like this? it doesn't help when Faux news is heating up the Islamophobic propaganda to new heights. I don't know if you remember or not, but before 9/11 the US was a drastically different and more open society where racism was not as open as it is now. Those were the good old days. After 9/11 Americans were already becoming xenophobic but when the recession hit America and jobs began to be lost, Americans became even more resentful especially against visible minorities and immigrants who they thought were taking away American jobs. There is a documentary on youtube which shows how hate groups began to drastically increase in size and numbers right after the recession.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login