ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਕੀਰਤਨੀ ਬੀਬੀਆ ਦਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਾ

Posted by Vista 
Today I felt like reading Bhai Jodh Singhs book and randomly opened a page, the below article came up. I then thought to translate the following article. ( Note the article is not aimed only at Bibiaa, but Singhs too. At that time the trend must have started to occur, so some guidance was given to counteract it. In this Modern era it applies to both parties)

ਕੀਰਤਨੀ ਬੀਬੀਆ ਦਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਾ
Translated from Soan ChiRee ChRee GaiN by Bhai Sahib Jodh Singh (Delhi)

Once During the Puratan Jalandhar Smagam the topic was raised of Singhnee who do Keertan/Akhand Paaths/Langar and wear ostentatious clothing. The veechar took place between 5 Gurmukh Singhs. It was decided to set and promote the following guidelines. ( This was also published in Sooraa Magazine)

1. Bibiaa specifically Keertani, Akhand Paathi should wear appropriate simple plain clothing at all times.
2. Tying a Dupataa is not acceptable and should be avoided
3. Bibiaa should not wear Glittering & Flashy Clothing
4. Anyone who who is not following the presented guidelines should not be able to do Seva until they change appearance for the better. This Hukam is mandatory from now on.

ਬਾਬਾਹੋਰੁਪੈਨਣੁਖੁਸੀਖੁਆਰੁ॥
O Baba, the pleasures of other clothes are false.

ਜਿਤੁਪੈਧੈਤਨੁਪੀੜੀਐਮਨਮਹਿਚਲਹਿਵਿਕਾਰ॥1॥ਰਹਾਉ॥
Wearing them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. Rahaao

ਘੋੜੇਪਾਖਰਸੁਇਨੇਸਾਖਤਿਬੂਝਣੁਤੇਰੀਵਾਟ॥
The understanding of Your Way, Lord, is horses, saddles and bags of gold for me.

ਤਰਕਸਤੀਰਕਮਾਣਸਾਂਗਤੇਗਬੰਦਗੁਣਧਾਤੁ॥
The pursuit of virtue is my bow and arrow, my quiver, sword and scabbard.

ਵਾਜਾਨੇਜਾਪਤਿਸਿਉਪਰਗਟੁਕਰਮੁਤੇਰਾਮੇਰੀਜਾਤਿ॥3॥
To be distinguished with honor is my drum and banner. Your Mercy is my social status

In Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh jee book Jot Vigaas it is also written that Singha Deh Parvaar, Bav Singh and children became Tyaar-bar-Tyaar Gursikhs and followed and adorned the Dastar and other Rehits very strictly.)

More Sakhiaa to come in the week.. Apologises for mistakes

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Great article!

One thing is missing though " kes beadbi" . I know in those days it was unthinkable to even
allow such people to do Gurmat Parchar ( kirtan seva), so perhaps this is the reason why its not mentioned.
But unfortunately it has become a trend to allow kurehiti Bibia to do Kirtan Seva. It goes against Sri Akal
Takht Maryada to allow nigurey to do kirtan seva.
Thanks for translating the article jee. Sukhdeep Singh ji, where in Akal Takht Maryaada it is mentioned that Nigurey or patit can't do kirtan seva? It only mentions Sikh and people translate Sikh into many terms
Very timely article, Vista jeeo. Recently, in a message Jathedar Bhai Baksheesh Singh jee also requested all sisters and daughters to dress up modestly in accordance to Gurmat.

Having said that, this does not mean that the dress code request is only for Bibiyaan. Everyone (male or female) who comes to Sangat should dress up in simple Gurmukhi attire. This will bring Guru Sahib's Khushi to them.

Ones who dress up inappropriately e.g. flashing clothes, tight fitting clothes etc. should do Kirpa on themselves and on Sangat by wearing simple Gurmukhi clothes.

Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Few years back I heard someone making the following remark for Bibiyaan although it is true for both genders.

We come to Gurduara Sahib Jee to have Darshan of Guru Sahib jio and the Saadh Sangat but looks like that some come here do give Darshan to the Saadh Sangat.

Sukhdeep Singh ji, where in Akal Takht Maryaada it is mentioned that Nigurey or patit can't do kirtan seva? It only mentions Sikh and people translate Sikh into many terms

You are right in saying many people define Sikh differently. But how does Guru Sahib define Sikh?

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

Guru Sahib says one can only call themselves a SIkh if they
wake early and meditate on Naam. How can a Patit do Naam Abhyiaas
if they have not taken Amrit. Only Panj Pyaarey can give naam.

In addition, Sri Akal Takht Maryada states only those who have
faith in AMrit are regarded as a Sikh. If a person does not take Amrit
they have no faith in the tradition. One who commits the four bajjar kurehits
can never be labeled as a Sikh even the most liberal Sikhs will agree with that.

We come to Gurduara Sahib Jee to have Darshan of Guru Sahib jio and the Saadh Sangat but looks like that some come here do give Darshan to the Saadh Sangat.

A few years back a went to a SInghs wedding which took placed at a Taksali Gurdwara. ALot of the Bibia were dressed
up inappropirately and were wearing make up, fancy jewelry , and so forth. The KathaVachik said something in the lines
of what you posted. He said " Have you come for Guru Jis Darshan, or have you come to give your darshan to Guru!"
Nowadys very few SInghs are willing to stand up for Gurmat principles . They are too afraid of being labeled as a
fanatic. When Im around women who pluck, wear make up, lipstick etc I feel like my energy is getting sucked with a vaccume.
People who deny their nature are simply ghost.
Kirpa Karo
It only mentions Sikh and people translate Sikh into many terms

ਰਹਿਤ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਨਹਿ ਸਿਖ ਕਹਾਵੈ, ਰਿਹਤ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਦਰ ਚੋਟਾਂ ਖਾਵੈ
i feel these critcisms are way way exaggerated - beyond belief - hence not so much input by kaurs on this thread.

You have to remember the more you critcise someone for what you think are their wrongs the more you will drive them away- a complete different approach is needed if there so much concern for "pehrava" of bibia not just simple criticisms that is not the answer khalsa jeeos!!
ns44 narinder jeeo

Nothing is exaggerated. There is a underlying problem between Singh & Singhni from ages 18 - 30. With doing akaash. What approach would you do if your family member was doing eyebrows, or singh cousin was gelling beard and at the same time going to big smagams and doing seva. Gurmat is very simple, let's keep it that way.
A few months ago I saw a video of moneh doing keertan in a gurdwara, being shown on the television!
I think the Gurdwara committees need to have a firm stance on who they allow to do keertan in Gurdwareh. However, how can this be achieved if most Gurdwara commitee members drink, eat meat and cut their kesh themselves?!
no-bodh jeeo - great question - if it was my family member i would sit down and explain to them in pyar mode and especially when i know they are in receptive mode too- otherwise there is no point." Pyar wich taaa khouteee veee mun jandeee ehh veer jeeo" if it doesn't work then let them be and move on to your own next goal in life- as it's mothers nature not all will listen and do what we want them to.
Repost:

AnokhKaur [ PM ]
Re: ਕੀਰਤਨੀ ਬੀਬੀਆ ਦਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਾ
January 27, 2012 01:06PM

I really don't think anyone is being a critic here. Being a Kaur myself, I agree with everything on the list. Also agreeing with Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee, the rule of simplicity should be requested upon both Singhs and Bibiyaan. We go to Guroo Saahib darbaar to serve Guroo Saahib, and do vadiyaaee of them, so dressing oneself up in such a way where people are looking at you instead of Guroo Saahib just does not make sense. While we can only request people to dress simple, it is then again all upto Guroo Saahib on who they will give the sojhee to. I have also seen that the more gurmat we implement on ourselves, the more people around you seem to notice and change.

Again Guroo Saahib knows best.
Any update on users putting more from this book
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login