ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Big Jiggraa (Big heart) of Puratan Singhs.

Posted by harinder_singh 
There were 2 gursikh schoolmates in Bathinda, Punjab in 1920's. After passing school, one gursikh got married and settled in Calcutta, India and started his own business. His business flourished for some years but in 1940's his business started to go down. At the same time, his wife developed a serious illenss and lots of money was spent on her treatment. The family became very poor and they decided to relocate back to Punjab. On visiting Punjab, this singh met his old school-mate and told his story. That singh was a rehitvaan kamayee valaa singh and had 60 acres of land. He said to that singh " I have too much land and cant plough it all, Kindly take half of my land and plough it". He gave 30 acres of his land to the poor family.
This sakhi tells us that purantan singhs had long nitnems, had lots of kamayee, were bholle bhalle kisaans (farmers) and had big heart and were very helpful.
Sadly, in present times, we have become selfish and are only concerned about ourselves and our families. There are many families in UK, Canada, USA who have 3-4 children. They could have easily had one child less and could have adopted one of the bhujangees of the shaheed singhs in Punjab during the 80's.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

They could have easily had one child less and could have adopted one of the bhujangees of the shaheed singhs in Punjab during the 80's.

I don't understand how they can have one less child because doing family planning is not allowed in Gurmat. I believe there is a Hukamnama from Siri Akal Takhat with respect to this.

Coming back to the topic, definitely Puratan Singhs had big hearts. This Saakhi shows how Gurmukhs share their wealth with others.

Kulbir Singh
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

"I believe there is a Hukamnama from Siri Akal Takhat with respect to this."

Please post a copy of this...I had not heard of this before (and I am sure many other Hukamnamas coming out of Akal Takht Sahib).

Thanks!
I don't have a copy of the Hukamnama Sahib but I remember reading it in the newspapers in the late 1980s. It might have been a Sandesh as opposed to a Hukamnama but there was certainly a direction from Siri Akal Takhat Sahib about it.

Kulbir Singh
May be Professor D.S. , in that position, suggested family size; when sikh youth were being killed. confused smiley
Even if Sri Akal Takht has not passed a Hukumnama advising I would think its common sense that family planning is not allowed in Gurmat. Most God-fearing monotheistic faiths are against family planning. I think the Catholic Church has forbid its members to use birth control. It would be nice to see the Hukumnama from Sri Akal Takht.
You are correct Bhai MB Singh jeeo. It was a Sandesh from Professor Darshan Singh when he was the acting Jathedar of Siri Akal Takhat in the late 1980s.

Kulbir Singh

Even if Sri Akal Takht has not passed a Hukumnama advising I would think its common sense that family planning is not allowed in Gurmat. Most God-fearing monotheistic faiths are against family planning. I think the Catholic Church has forbid its members to use birth control. It would be nice to see the Hukumnama from Sri Akal Takht.

Seena-Baseena this is known in Gurmukhs that birth-control is not acceptable in Gurmat but it would be good to see a Puratan Rehitnama with respect to this.

Kulbir Singh
I have not come any Puratan Rehatnama that clearly prohibit birth control. I didnt know such things existed in the past- I assumed Gurmukhs have relations for the purpose of procreation.

i remember reading a rehatnama along time ago that states

"Bahut Kaam Na Karo"- I think this can serve as indication that addiction to intimate relations and using birth control is prohibited in Gurmat.
I have been married for about two years, this is the first I have heard that family planning is not considered a good thing.

Bhai Kulbir Singh and others, what are your thoughts on natural family planning like that used by Catholics?

This is not doing anything to interfere with God's will, rather its use of God's own nature...
[en.wikipedia.org]

I am taking amrit soon and don't want to do anything wrong, would any of these methods; natural or 'non-natural' make one no longer 'tyar par tyar'?

I would be thankful for your thoughts on this matter.
Natural family planning the GUrmat way. Catholics are not the only God fearing people on the planet. Observant Jews and Observant Muslims also take similar measures when having relations with their spouse.

SOme older GUrsikh couples even sleep on separate beds from their spouse. The only time they share the same bed is when they decide to have children. The worldly bliss from Kaam is short lived. The spiritual bliss from discipline and contentment is ever lasting.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Any updated on the Hukamnama/Adesh/Sandesh/something from the Akaal Takht Sahib?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login