ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurbani Question

Posted by Seek 
Gurbani Question
June 24, 2012 10:39AM
In Gurbani we come across the words Amrit Naam on many occasions. Sometimes it is written as ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ and some times ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ

I can understand when it is written as ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ but under what circumstances/conditions allow for it to be written as ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ

Can someone help me understand the Grammatical rules. Thanks
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurbani Question
June 24, 2012 12:40PM
As per observation of grammar Rule for the matra of Aukad under last letter is as

1.....When two words are together where first is with Aukad and the next is also with Aukad Both words are treated as NOUN
as AMRITu NAAMu

2....When first word is without matra of Aukad and the next With matra of Aukad .In this case first word is an ADJECTIVE
and next word is NOUN.
as AMRIT NAAMu

There is an exception to the above Rules where first word is without Aukad and next word is With matra of Aukad then
the first word is takan as word with Aukad matra and treated as NOUN.
The word without matra of Aukad is also considered as with matra of Aukad as NOUN if this word has some connecting
preposition like Ka,Kee.Ke.,Te and any other like this.

Any other information on this Rule may be helpful to me also.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
Re: Gurbani Question
June 25, 2012 08:26PM
With respect to these two particular words, this is what this humble Daas has understood:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ: Amrit Vaheguru da Naam. Both words are nouns. Here the word Amrit has been used from Vaheguru jee. The Aunkad of Amrit has been removed due to the presence of Sambandhaki word 'da' or 'ka' in gupt after Amrit.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ: Amrit Naam. Amrit is an Adjective that describes the noun Naam.

Having said that, Talwara jee differs a bit and in his book has also written that Amrit can be an adjective in both cases, depending on the type of adjective it is. I will try to find reference to this.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login