ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nishkam Bhagtee

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Nishkam Bhagtee
June 23, 2012 04:05PM
Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji mentions he initially started doing Bhagati for selfish ends. For example, he would recite Rehras Sahib and Sri Japji Sahib for the purpose of getting good grades on his law examination. BHai Sahib mentions many people intially do bhagti for personal gains . He even gives an example on how Shaheed Bhai Mani SIngh JI used to come to Gurdwara as a child just so he can get degh. BHai Sahib mentions eventually Gurmukhs only do Bhagti for Naam and Darshan. They have no other desire. Night and day they beg for Naam and indulge in Naam Abhyiaas. Even in their dreams they dont dream of anything but Gurus Jis naam ( Darshan). There Bhagti is unconditional ( nishkam).

I remember awhile back I was having a discussion with another SIngh. I told him Gurmukhs dont care for material gains. They never do Ardas or Bhagtee for material things. Their desire is naam. The SIngh then quoted the following verses by Bhagat Dhanna JI

ਗੋਪਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਰਤਾ ॥ ਜੋ ਜਨ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੰਤੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਦਾਲਿ ਸੀਧਾ ਮਾਗਉ ਘੀਉ ॥
ਹਮਰਾ ਖੁਸੀ ਕਰੈ ਨਿਤ ਜੀਉ ॥ ਪਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀਆ ਛਾਦਨੁ ਨੀਕਾ ॥ ਅਨਾਜੁ ਮਗਉ ਸਤ ਸੀ ਕਾ ॥੧॥ ਗਊ ਭੈਸ ਮਗਉ ਲਾਵੇਰੀ ॥
ਇਕ ਤਾਜਨਿ ਤੁਰੀ ਚੰਗੇਰੀ ॥ਘਰ ਕੀ ਗੀਹਨਿ ਚੰਗੀ ॥ਜਨੁ ਧੰਨਾ ਲੇਵੈ ਮੰਗੀ ॥੨॥੪॥

In these verses Bhagat Ji asks for many things. Surely he was already a Bhagat reaching the zenith of Spirituality because nobody can recite Gurbani unless they receive Darshan. So I was wondering as to how is this Nishkaam Bhagti when one ask for so many material things???

Can someone explain?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Nishkam Bhagtee
June 23, 2012 09:55PM
And this one as well, by Bhagat Kabir jee...

ਦੁਇ ਸੇਰ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਚੂਨਾ ॥ ਪਾਉ ਘੀਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਲੂਨਾ ॥ ਅਧ ਸੇਰੁ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਦਾਲੇ ॥ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਦੋਨਉ ਵਖਤ ਜਿਵਾਲੇ ॥੨॥
ਖਾਟ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਚਉਪਾਈ ॥ ਸਿਰਹਾਨਾ ਅਵਰ ਤੁਲਾਈ ॥ ਊਪਰ ਕਉ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਖੀਂਧਾ ॥ ਤੇਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਜਨੁ ਥੀਧਾ ॥੩॥

Notice how Bhagat Kabir jee then says

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੀਤਾ ਲਬੋ ॥ ਇਕੁ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਮੈ ਫਬੋ ॥ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਤਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੧੧॥

So as Bhagat Kabir jee says, its not out of greed.

Rest Guru Sahib knows best.
June 23, 2012 10:38PM
Mehtab SIngh Jee,

I agree Bhagat Kabeer Jis ardas is not out of greed. He is simply asking for basic necessities so he doesnt have to become a beggar and become dependent on others. Instead he just wants to make a simple living and have enough to serve the saintly sangat. Without food one cannot survive and do bhagti . Bhagats only eat so they can prolong their bhagti, and if someone asks for the basic of life I still think their bhagti is considered as Nishkam Bhagti.

I dont think Bhagat Dhanna JI is greedy , but at the same time he is asking for things which are not basic necessaties. There is no doubt he was a Bhagat, but my undestanding of Nishkam Bhagti was Bhagats dont ask for any type of luxuries or wordly request, but this pangti of Bhagat Dhanna Ji questions my understanding of Nishkam Bhagti?
June 24, 2012 08:14AM
Some GurSikhs also say that if we don't ask from Guru Sahib, who else will we ask from? Yes its not very likely that GurSikhs make material demands, but then again, a GurSikh who sees oneself as Guru Sahib's little kid and Guru Sahib as his loving Mother/Father will always go to Him, like a little kid, for everything he/she needs.
June 24, 2012 11:07AM
I believe there is nothing wrong in asking for God for anything. Everybody does it. YOu are right who else can we ask from? But Im speaking about doing Bhagatee for the sole purpose of praising God and not expecting anything in return. According to Bhai Sahib this is Nishkaam Bhagtee and this is the sole profession of a Gurumukh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login