ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Travelling without Kirpan on oneself

Posted by ks 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Does Canada allow travelling on flight with kirpan, and if not, is this considered kurehit?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I don't think there is any airline that permits us to wear Kirpans on board, perhaps I am wrong though. If so, someone could correct me.
Is there a specific length limit? Or is it a strict no?
In any case, I don't think it is considered a Kurehit. However we should avoid eating untill we have our Kirpan back on again. And then we should do at least ardaas, and perhaps other banis.
Bhul Chuk Maaf
Thanks, I don't plan to eat on plane after taking amrit. But it is
good news to me that it will not be considered kurehit, if i kept kirpan
in checked baggage for flight that takes a day, and
a night.
Do one have to remove shoes at canadian airports?
In the USA, same bin that holds shoes,waist belts, hold
all your carry-ons when taking flight, so my advice is to not
carry Gutkey, etc if possible.
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I don't think there is any airline that permits us to wear Kirpans on board, perhaps I am wrong though. If so, someone could correct me.
Is there a specific length limit? Or is it a strict no?
In any case, I don't think it is considered a Kurehit. However we should avoid eating untill we have our Kirpan back on again. And then we should do at least ardaas, and perhaps other banis.
Bhul Chuk Maaf

How on earth is not removing a kirpan not a kurehit. If we take a shower without kachhera this is a kurehit. Then why is there some type of special circumstance for Kirpan?
What is the definition of a Kurehit?
I was under the belief that a Kurehit is something which deems someone as Peshi. When I took Amrit, I was told by the Panj Pyareh that if one is forced to take off their Kirpan because they need to board a plane, then they should do Ardaas, but Pesh was not necessary.
Thanks TSinghji.
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
KS Jee

Do not be confused, you do not have to Pesh for removing Kirpan, in case of flying on a plane. Just do ardaas before hand and do not eat anything while your Kirpan is separated. Once you have landed then put the Kirpan back on and do Ardaas asking Guru Sahib to forgive you. Many Gursikhs also recommend reading some Gurbani as well. Jap Jee Sahib is the most common bani that is read.

What is the definition of a Kurehit?
I was under the belief that a Kurehit is something which deems someone as Peshi. When I took Amrit, I was told by the Panj Pyareh that if one is forced to take off their Kirpan because they need to board a plane, then they should do Ardaas, but Pesh was not necessary.

Kurehit can simply be defined as bad conduct. One only has to pesh if they have committed one of the four Bajjar Kurehits. However, to say removing kirpan is not a kurehit is misleading.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Thanks so much GSinghji, and Sukhdeep
Singhji, Waheguru kirpa karey tah nav nidh paiay
Bhul chuk muaf
Vaaheguroojeekaakhalsaa Vaaheguroojeekeefatehh..!!

Daas is still confused since many Chardeekalaa Singhs in India choose not to travel abroad than to remove any of their kakkars during travel. How come there's this difference in thought since there also are many Chardeekalaa Singhs who travel regularly and even do the seva in Panj internationally.
Daasandaas jeeo, no Gursikh happily removes Kakaars. When any Kakaar is separated from the body it seems as if a part of the body has separated. Bhai Sahib who was in Brahmgyani Avastha writes in Jail Chithiaan that when his Kakaars were removed from his body, darkness befell on his eyes. He writes that for the first time, he felt the Bhaana of Vaheguru as not sweet.

In India, many Chardi Kala Singhs who do Seva in Punj had to remove their Kakaars when they were arrested during the militant times and also now a days. So what do they do to remedy this condition? We know that they got their Sudhaaee done with Punj Pyare. Well, the same way, the Singhs who do Seva in Punj in countries outside of India, get their Sudhaaee done prior to Seva in Punj. All Punj have their Sudhaaee done before they can do Seva. During that Sudhaaee all such mistakes are taken care of.

It is true that the Singhs in India did not remove their Kakaars voluntarily and the Singhs who travel internationally remove their Kirpan voluntarily. So for this reason, their Gunaah or Kurehit is of a bigger nature but still Sudhaaee can be done of this mistake. Guru Sahib is understanding and knows the intentions of his Gursikhs. All the Sikhi you see flourishing in these countries is there with the contribution from the Gurmukhs who do Seva in Punj and almost all of these Gurmukhs have had to remove their Kirpan at one time or the other. This problem of removing Kirpan is not within the control of one or more individuals; its a Panthik problem that Guru Sahib alone can take care of. We will find out in the next world what befalls on us for this mistake. We are hoping that Guru Sahib will be Merciful to Gunaahgaars like us.

Kulbir Singh

Bhai Sahib who was in Brahmgyani Avastha writes in Jail Chithiaan that when his Kakaars were removed from his body, darkness befell on his eyes. He writes that for the first time, he felt the Bhaana of Vaheguru as not sweet.

WaaheGuru,how true! About a year ago I had to leave to Canada on short notice and I had to take my kirpan off. My Sikhi has really never been the same since. Im not trying to brag, but before this incident I always felt the power of Guru Ji with me. I used to feel like I was in a tank and nothing can happen to me. But ever since I took my kirpan off I felt like Im on a scooter and the slightest touch I can fall on my face. I have done numerous things to make up for this loss, but still its going to take much more time. It was not worth the risk.

In regards to SInghs doing Panj Pyaarey seva. In Bhai Sahibs time they use to go all the way from Punjab to places like Hazoor Sahib. If they can travel so far without a plane then why cant we? There are enough SInghs in North AMerica to do Panj Pyaarey Seva. You can travel on train or plane and get to anywhere in North America within a couple of days. Same logic applies to Europe and India. There is no reason for Singhs from India to come all the way to Europe for AMrit Sanchar , the same way there is no reason for Singhs for Europe to come to America for AMrit Sanchar seva. It does not make sense if SInghs are doing Panj seva and telling abhilakhees not to remove kirpan but they themselves remove the kirpan. One should have strong convictions of the rehat/hukums they propagrate when doing panj seva.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
If only Guru Sahibji would kirpa karey, and enable Khalsa Raj, today, now but that is also a big sin to go against Guruji's order, and order my wish.
So as I agree that when we remove any of our 5ks for maya, then we have doubted Guruji's power/ sovereignty, since I now know that after taking Amrit, these are never to be removed, not for work/ travel, because pledge has been made to Guruji (imagine Punj Pyarey removing any after taking very great blessing for Guruji, in today's times?).
Also, I realise by delaying taking Amrit, I am also doubting Guruji's sovereignty, so I am going ahead with taking Amrit, with His approval/ Hukam, if He truly feel I am ready/ deserving, and kirpa. Thereafter, if employment/ travel requires me to remove Kirpan, or any of 5ks, I will do ardas for His kirpa, and if maya still tell me I have to choose kirpan over maya, then I will take ship, train, abandon employment, but never doubt His sovereignty, as Sant Harnam Singhji did, but He is Bhramgyani, and i am worst of worst worm, neech paapi, and uphold my barosa in His Naam Waheguru, with His Power!
Prior to reading recent posts by Bhai Kulbir Singhji, and Bhai Daasandaasji, conflicting thoughts about what am I to do living amongst maya, while Guruji says go with Sat Sangat, but how few are such today, as I observed during my Blessed visit to Tapoban Gurdwara, in Brampton, CA, with sisters yesterday, then this Keertan (http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/Gurbani/Amrit_Kirtan/tr_1417.html) started singing within me>
Blessed are Gems of Tapoban Gurdwara to be so strong in Gursikhi! But Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhji would not approve His photo to be on wall, which should be replaced with His favorite Gursikhi symbol of Khanda, and Guru Granth Sahibji, should be adorned with Shastra, along with Chardhi Kala spirit in Gurdwara, because you all are indeed blessed! So full of love, to welcome my sisters (one of whom had cut hair, and dressed in western outfit), with love, and no difference in attitude...Waho Waho Gursikho Sachi mai teri tekh! Also, Waho Waho is Your Pavitr Gurdwara Food, brought so much bliss to my eldest sister and me, then miracle to my very westernised sister (some hours after) attitude towards Power of Gursikhi!! Gurujio kirpa karey so my siblings, and me will be as blessed as you all, to be true Gems of Gurujio also!
Bhul chuk muaf.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Waheguru,
i would like to humbly add and support very blessed Bhai Kulbir Singhji's reply as Gurbani reminds us that Waheguru is all in all and embedded within maya as well, and her being Waheguru's agiakari, so if we do surrender Kirpan for maya's order as we live amongst them daily, as did all Saints of Gurujio, assume this must not be considered a major kurehit?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Kulbir Singh
Daasandaas jeeo, no Gursikh happily removes Kakaars. When any Kakaar is separated from the body it seems as if a part of the body has separated. Bhai Sahib who was in Brahmgyani Avastha writes in Jail Chithiaan that when his Kakaars were removed from his body, darkness befell on his eyes. He writes that for the first time, he felt the Bhaana of Vaheguru as not sweet.

In India, many Chardi Kala Singhs who do Seva in Punj had to remove their Kakaars when they were arrested during the militant times and also now a days. So what do they do to remedy this condition? We know that they got their Sudhaaee done with Punj Pyare. Well, the same way, the Singhs who do Seva in Punj in countries outside of India, get their Sudhaaee done prior to Seva in Punj. All Punj have their Sudhaaee done before they can do Seva. During that Sudhaaee all such mistakes are taken care of.

It is true that the Singhs in India did not remove their Kakaars voluntarily and the Singhs who travel internationally remove their Kirpan voluntarily. So for this reason, their Gunaah or Kurehit is of a bigger nature but still Sudhaaee can be done of this mistake. Guru Sahib is understanding and knows the intentions of his Gursikhs. All the Sikhi you see flourishing in these countries is there with the contribution from the Gurmukhs who do Seva in Punj and almost all of these Gurmukhs have had to remove their Kirpan at one time or the other. This problem of removing Kirpan is not within the control of one or more individuals; its a Panthik problem that Guru Sahib alone can take care of. We will find out in the next world what befalls on us for this mistake. We are hoping that Guru Sahib will be Merciful to Gunaahgaars like us.

Kulbir Singh

Some months ago dass traveled by air after many years. Making a long story short, my conscience just didnt't allow me to remove my keerpa. What my conscience got hold me of what that, "Why should I obey rules made by manmukhs and turn my back on Guru Sahibs rehit? Giving priority to wordly law over Gurmat law cannot be justified(which makes us guilty in Gurmat rehit)". A plan came to me and travelled that day with a keerpan sealed within my shirt and pants.Sree Choupee Sahib was done and SatGuroo seem to have removed any hurdles I could have faces at the airports.

Yes, you can say I smuggled it but living with guilt of removing kakkar was something I couldnt bear.
At an individual level, we fo have a choice.

Chota veer
For general sangats info, rehitvaan Singhs in Punjab say that if one is travelling by air and wants to remove keerpan. Then before travel one needs to pesh before Panj and and re-Pesh after travelling before Panj. This means peshi at 2 amrit sinchars.

Chota veer
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Chatrik
Please don't try same overseas u cannot sneak Kirpan, if they catch it on you, subject you to arrest, suspicion of being terrorist, humiliation etc
Gurujio kirpa karey for His Khalsa soonest.
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Some bazurg Bibi, who is a resident of Siri Anandpur Sahib, visited Canada a couple of months. She came by plane, but didn't remove the Kirpaan. On the day of her flight, she wore a Kurrtaa which had steel buttons on them. She tied the Kirpaan around her chest, just behind those steel buttons. When she was checking in at the airport, and was being scanned with the metal detector, it of course went off. She told the guard that it is only detecting those steel buttons on her shirt,and this way, got away and cheated the system. Now I don't recommend doing this. What works for one, may not always work for others.
Personally, I feel it is better to stay where you are, I hate travelling myself on a personal level winking smiley
umm..were these recent event? or was it many years ago?

i now the security in india is really bad but once you get into london heathrow, they have one of the best security personal there,

nowadays they have people that use the metal detector, then they have ppl that actually phyiscally touch all of your body, and i mean all of it. I bet anyone that has travelled in america would now what im talking about..... "the TSA"

plus aitports have these new x-ray machines that can see through your clothes.

but yet again the power of bani can surpass all of these things....as long as that person going through detection has the abyiass and beleif in bani/guru sahib to do so.
Daas has seen Singhs wearing Kripaan over their Kurta in Chennai Domestic Airport (India) in around Jan' 2012.

I have not seen and have no clue as to what happened at security screening or how Singhs handled situation during screening.

I glanced at them when they were waiting at the departure gate where airport shuttle comes to take passengers to the plane waiting near runway. ( I hope you got what I mean. In many Indian Domestic Airports, passengers either have to walk down or sometime shuttle bus takes them to the plane). This all happened in a very short time and I had no time to approach them to ask about wearing Kripaan on plane.

Those Singhs seems to have come to Chennai for some Samagam and they were either flying back to Bangalore or Delhi.

It is my wild guess that maybe those Singhs had some permission or authority letter which allowed them to board plane with Kripaan on.

So it seems Sikhs can travel in Domestic Flights within India with Kripaan on. Need to dig out more information.

Personally, I put Silai/Baaz in my Laptop bag during screening and with Wahegurus Kripaa till date nobody has asked me anything at any International Airports. But in Domestic Indian Airports security officials do ask, "Sardar Ji Bag Mein Silai hai Kya". I firmly say Yes. Then security official says "OK, Sat-Sri-Akal".

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Yes, Bhaijio,
TSA in USA do body pat down, or send you through body xray (if you tell them you have pacemaker, or metal implant). Thereafter you go through body pat down if the Xray operator discovers something suspicious.
However prior to being subject to body pat down, they are expected to ask you of any sensitive areas, due to medical issues, so they could avoid that area.
As mentioned above, unless once has full blessings of Guru Sahib, I would highly discourage sneaking.
Would be nice if wealthy Sikh entrepreneur could set up airline/ airport for Gursikhs or better still Sikh Khalistan be established soon, so we will be able to take Khandey Batey Ki Pahul, live in Gursikhi with no inhibitions, or be victim to 5 vices thereafter, with Sat Sangat vibrating Naam/ Gurbani 24/ 7 as we go about our lives smiling bouncing smiley
Ks that Sikh Saints carry always include Kirpan, as well as Sword, which would be impossible to have living amongst non-sikhs, or non-Gursikhi practising sikhs, so Khalsa Raj, or remaining within one's village (for those in india, but luckily at least airlines here allow Kirpan), would be only option?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login