ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about Singh Sabha Movement

Posted by sk 
If anything, can gursikhs please link me to literature that answer these very basic questions.

Who were the gursikhs involved in this movement, and did they all keep strict rehit?
How did the movement occur? What was its biggest accomplishment?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Wahegurrooojeekaakhalsa Wahegurrooojeekeefateh

please see the following link: Singh Sabha Movement

Gives a good breakdown

I don't know if anyone has written about this topic in detail in form of a book.....
Thank you veerjee, just finished reading it.

I found it really inspiring and interesting how the Sikhs involved used an outpouring of gurmat literature to defeat Brahmanism creeping into the Panth. We really need to start printing and distributing and producing more of the quality literature that we have on gurmatbibek!

A few more questions:
So, some of the literature produced included english translations of Guru Granth Sahib jee by Arthur Macauliffe. Are these available anywhere online? It would interesting to look at them. Other than the writings of Bhai Vir Singh jee, what were the other major articles/books/etc produced during the movement, and are they available online or in print? I'd really like to read them.

Can anyone provide me with more literature on the Singh Sabha Movement and Tat Khalsa? Most of the links I'm finding online are highly anti-Akj.
Max Arthur Macauliffe wrote The Sikh Religion (vol 1-6) and this contains amongst lives of Guru Sahibs, the best English translations of Gurbani that I've come across with explanatory foot notes. But, I was not aware that they performed a complete translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

The first vol can be found under this link
btw - there are some controversial bits in Macauliffe's books, but on the whole definitely one for the home library.
Wahegurrooo

SK jee - In total agreement. We really need to print and distribute quality Gurmat literature that we have seen on this forum in the past.

I remember Bhai Balpreet Singh (World Sikh Organisation of Canada) had written an article on the Panthic.org website a few years ago with regards to the history of Sikhs especially that of the Singh Sabha Movement. It was very well written and quite comprehensive, if anyone has a copy please post on this forum!!

More info about Khalsa Samachar would be brilliant (where to find and read) ...... smiling smiley

Wahegurrooo
Wow, thank you veerjee.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Maybe we need to also understand that it takes not only believe in Gurbani to maintain strong faith in Sikhi, but also knowing that our community/ Gurdwara has support groups in all areas to assist each and every Sikh (who mostly are the most minority, living far away from Gurdwaras/ Sikhs to maintain purity of Sikh values in its true essence) in ALL times of need, not just discrimination, otherwise we have to also understand that Gurujio Himself tests us and cause us to be subject to rultey firtey koi bat na puchey? But twice, in my personal dire need, it was a hindu who showed kindness to me, and advised to visit mandir (which i was when younger), but now thanks to Gurujio's helping Hand, I remind myself that He Himself sent the hindu to help me since my own family, community, sikh organisations denied me assistance, as I wait impatiently for His urgent help to get me out of my predicament; now considering taking amrit, in the hope that this is the key to passing Gurujio's test?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Manmander Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember Bhai Balpreet Singh (World Sikh
> Organisation of Canada) had written an article on
> the Panthic.org website a few years ago with
> regards to the history of Sikhs especially that of
> the Singh Sabha Movement. It was very well written
> and quite comprehensive, if anyone has a copy
> please post on this forum!!

Thanks for the referral, I looked around, is this article you read?
[www.sikhphilosophy.net]

It looks really informative.
Waheguru,
To reiterate my point above, about lack of urgently needed/ long overdue missing support group; here is a sad true account of a Granthi taking his life>
[www.sikhnet.com]
Bhul chuk muaf
"Ks" jee, I wasn't sure if you had perhaps posted in the wrong thread, but I think that the point you are trying to make is that our Panth needs not just education and literature, but also a supportive community. I agree. The implication of educating the Panth about gurmat is that when everyone follows gurmat, gurmat prem between these true seekers of Vaheguru wells up. And they also begin to put full bharosa in Guru Sahib to help them through any situation.

The reason I'm trying to learn more about the Singh Sabha movement is because I'm most interested in the gursikhs who followed tatt gurmat and the impact they had on the Panth. These were the gursikhs who lived very loving jeevans, and were also willing to help their fellow brethren through the worst hardships.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh SK Jee,
I support your efforts, and trying to include my point as with
Giani, who was a humble amritdhari but as no relevant help given
to him, he and his family suffered dire consequences, despite
I am sure, availability of Singh Sabha Gurdwara
in some USA states.
I read that even Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhji's
wife suffered alone while He was imprisoned.
Only Bhai Mau Singh assisted Bhai Sahib's wife.
So, I too look forward to revival of love and generosity thru tat gurmat revival withincommunity
in Sikh Panth through your message/ effort.
My sincere apologies for going off-track.
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
aukhi gadhi sirf Gurujio Hi Nimania Key Maan Hai!
One last word SK Jee,
i did see Sikhi spirit during youth Shaheed Jaspal
Singh's antim saskar.
I believe we should concentrate on not just
reviving singh sabha or akj spirit, but Gurbani
spirit that completely personifies TRUE KHALSA
SPIRIT OF HUMILITY AND ZERO SELF INTEREST
WITHIN SIKH PANTH!
bhul chuk muaf
EK KHALSA THRU ACTION = DEVOTION IN TRUE SPIRIT
because sab GOBIND HAI JEO
There are few good books you can get from sachaa sauda store about the singh sabha movement. I bought a few last year
Wahegurrooo

Sk jee - that's the one!!! I had been looking all over Panthic.org website for it! It is a well written article.

Vista jee - which books did you get and who is it written by?
Very recently put up:

Singh Sabha Movement – A Revival by Dr Gurdarshan Singh Dhillion

Wahegurroooo
Manmander Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vista jee - which books did you get and who is it
> written by?

Bh Manmander Singh jee, it was a book written by SIkh Missionary, it give's a basic overview of the movement.and great for anyone getting into reading Sikh history. I also highly recommend reading the Jeevani of Sardar Kartar Singh Jhabbar by Bhai Narayan Singh M.A it can be purchased at Saacha Sauda store. Saying that I will upload a rare picture of Jhabbar jee soon.cool smiley
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Bhul chuk muaf sk jee,
I now understand after reading Bhai Manmander Singh post book (excellent eye-opener) link.
Quote from book,"That is why, as indicated already, all the thrity seven Singh Sabhas, except the three Sabhas of Rawalpindi,
Faridkot and Amritsar which were personally connected with Khem Singh and Raja of Faridkot group, followed the lead of the Ditt Singh Gurmukh Singh group."
I support Singh Sabha, because Guru Gobind Singh, and Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the key to true freedom from jhoot!
Thank you Vista jee, we all look forward to the rare picture Sardar Kartar Singh Jhabbar smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login