ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vanishing Punjabi Vacabulary

Posted by MB Singh 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

So often, we hear that Punjabi language is losing its base day by day. Its users are decreasing with time. Yet we are optimistic, that GURBANI being in Punjabi, will keep it a living language, for ever. Recently I watched the video of Surjit Singh Patar, a punjabi poet, about this subject. After watching this video, one gets convinced that a lot of vocabulary, is already missing around.

Guru Rakha.

[www.youtube.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Thanks for sharing Bhai MB Singh ji.

It is more than true that we are losing not only Rehits but vocabulary too. Elder Gursikhs are the last to show signs of so many words that have disappeared over night in Punjab and in the west.

A recent word (jaloos) found in an isthiaar of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji was discussed on another thread by Bhai Kulbir Singh ji. I think more words were listed and explained too. Another interesting side to this is the difference of vocabulary used amongst different regions of Punjab such as Doaba, Malva and Majha. A lot of western Punjabis are unaware of the fascinating dialects used amongst regions of Punjab.

It would be a good idea if Bhai Kulbir Singh ji and other more language speakers could, in this thread, share once common words used in every day language, that have disappeared.
One thing Surjit Singh Pattar has pointed out is the use of uncle and aunty in today's punjabi youth. We have so many Rishtey with elders (i.e. Taya, Chacha, Mama, Phuphar), but today's youth only say uncle and aunty for all of them. I don't understand why this horrible trend has started.

Another trend that has started in Punjab is the use of English words. I have seen women from the villages teaching their children to use English words for everyday items instead of using the Punjabi word. For example it is very common to see youth in Punjab refering to Dehi(n) as Curd, or Shimla Mirch as Capsicum(or something like that), eye brow instead of Bharvattay. Before the trend was the Hindi-isation of Punjabi but now it is English. As in the west, it is the Punjabi mothers who are leading the way into this new Englishisation of the Punjabi language. If this trend continues I wonder what will be left of the Punjabi language 20 years from now.
Rsingh Veer Ji, you are right to point out the "englislisation" of Punjabi is there in most homes. It surely gives us a hint that we should try to keep purity in each language. That is an art and a worthwhile exercise.

Thank you Amritvela Veer Ji, for giving a further thought on that. Patar narrates so many words for TIME, starting from Amritvela onward. I myself do not know the meanings of some words used by him. So, I felt the pain for the language. We start our days from AM to PM and in that we lose all those sweet words, relating each hour to a specific word. Rein Sabhai kirtan starts at PM and ends with AM. There are no TARKALAN or SAJARA. Alas for all those words, which are already lost.

Gurbani is the only hope. Plus our love for it and its language. And also our desired natural pride for the mother tongue.
rsingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As in the west, it is the Punjabi mothers
> who are leading the way into this new
> Englishisation of the Punjabi language. If this
> trend continues I wonder what will be left of the
> Punjabi language 20 years from now.

Veer Jee need not wait for 20 years, it is happening now.

One of the Bibi Jee in our neighbourhood who had immigrated (no idea how long, probably more than 10 years) to Brampton (Canada) recently visited India.

Following are few lines Daas can re-collect and these lines are Laughter Riots (Read at on your own risk).

1. Inder jaa Microwave vich Pizzavaan Hot karke leya.

2. Walmart di night dutyaan vich mannu taan Very Very Tensionaaa ho jandiya ne. (Very Very Tensionaaa -- that was hilarious and new one for me)

3. Sannu taan Early Bed uth ke Teaaan zaroor chahidiyaan. (Teaaan – probably she meant about Tea for individual family members. But interesting way of covering entire family in one go)

4. Saade Brampton vich taan, Ek (1) Dollaraaan vich kinne saare Apple mil jaande ne. (Not sure if she was talking of Multiple Units of 1 Dollar Bill)

5. Sada Inder taan Very Very biba wala Son haga. (Thank God Inder did not became Sonaaa from Son)

6. Suru suru vich te Inder de Schoolaan cho Huge Complainaa aundiya san. (Hope Inder was going to One School only. Still wondering of Huge Complainaa, as to how Huge were those Complainaa)

7. Complainaa is kar ke aundiya si kyuni Teacheraan di Inder naal Studies di Understanding nahi ban di si. (This was Bingo)

8. Aa hun te Punjab Roadways da Very Development ho gaya. (On further querying Daas found she was talking about the National Highway Roads, in Punjab, which are getting expanded from 2 Lanes to 4/6 Lanes and not about Punjab Road Transportation)

Bibi Jee seems to have close attachment with Plural-ising everything.
No idea if this is Englishisation of the Punjabi OR Punjabisation of English.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
topic was on punjabi but discussion language was greji
So true, Harsh Singh Ji. Sorry for that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login