ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lack of panthic scholars

Posted by Gupt1 
Lack of panthic scholars
May 11, 2012 09:18AM
In the Sikh Panth today there are very few good Sikh Scholars if any. In my opinion, a Sikh Scholar is not someone who just has vast knowledge but also applies that knowledge in their jeevan. A good Sikh scholar is some who has good knowledge of Gurmat and good Gursikhi jeevan i.e. amrit chhakk, follows rehit, has solid amritvela e.t.c.

In the past we had great Sikh scholars such as Giani Ditt Singh ji, Bhai Vir Singh ji, Shamsher Singh ji Ashok, Pandit Kartar Singh ji Dakha and in recent times bhai Joginder Singh ji Talwara. These Sikh scholars did great seva for the panth.

Today I cannot think of 1 scholar who is close to the Gursikhs above.

Other faiths, especially Islam have many scholars who produce quality books that are in-depth. However as far as literature is concerned, we are not producing quality books on Gurmat and Sikh History.

I think Gursikhs from AKJ especially need to write Sikh literature.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Lack of panthic scholars
May 11, 2012 01:46PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Guptji,
Why would we require any other literature when Gurbani is Hukam of our King Creator, and SUPREMELY COMPLETE TO ALL RELIGIONS AND IN ALL ASPECTS to free us from suffering, ailments of living in death versus living in pure Gurmat Maryada bliss?
GURBANI IS AGAM, AGAD, ABODH
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
But you doo need books on Sikh History. Like Saakhis and stuff. You'd be surprised how well saakhis go with Keertan and Gurbaanii smiling smiley

daas123 cool smileycool smiley
May 13, 2012 08:50AM
I agree ks ji that bani is perfect and from the dargah of sri Akal Purakh, it is bani "bania sir bani" - the highest bani.

However literature is important because we are not all of the same avastha and understanding. It is our elder Gursikh sister's and brothers who possess a higher avastha and understanding that can explain the concepts of Gurmat to us because they have experience.

Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh ji has explained many Gurmat concepts that the majority of us could never have known about because we just simply do not have the kamai to understand them i.e. five khands in sri Jap ji sahib, charan kamal. anhad shabad, rehit e.t.c.

My main point is that in the past we had scholars who wrote books which the panth anticipated but now we have very few if any Sikh Scholars that are writing books like the Gursikhs I have mentioned. The only Sikh writer I can think of at the moment is bhai Sukhpreet Singh Udhoke.

We need desperately need more bhai Vir Singh's, bhai Shamsher Singh's, bhai Ganda Singh's, pandit Kartar Singh's......................

Satguru Mehar Karan!
Sangat Ji,

This is indeed very Important, Serious and Valid point raised by Gupt1 Veer Jee.

Today when I look back my family history my forefathers were uprooted during Independence movement and then during '84 incident. They went to different place for search of Job and filling stomach. With Waheguru Jee's kripa in today’s time everything is OK with us now.

But today we don't know where to go and satisfy our spiritual hunger. We do not know where to go and learn
1) Gurmukhi reading and writing.
2) How to do Paath from Sri Guru Granth Sahib and Seva of Guru Jee.
3) How to do Santhiya, Naam Abhyaas, Sangat, Gurbani Grammar etc... The list is endless.

At least we thought Gurudwara should be the place for above points. But the Granthi Singh Jee himself is puzzled and looking for so many answers for his queries.

Gurmat Books/Literatures and Internet have been helpful in some way. But the Vacuum of Class-Room teaching is still there.

There are so many institutes for Computer Java, C++ coaching, IIT & IIM coaching, Entrance Exam coaching etc... where student can enrol for 2 or 3 or 4 month course. But we don't know where to enrol ourselves for Gurmat Coaching.

When we ask elders they just say, "keep reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee" and have bharosa. In reply when we ask that you have been reciting Sri Jap Jee Sahib for 30 - 40 years so tell us the in-depth meaning of this line. Then they go blank and dumb.

In yesterday’s evening Diwaan, Katha Vachak Jee mentioned that Today the Panth is lacking the Complete Model and System of Sikhi. The Prabandhak Committee is failing to meet the need of time. The Time, Energy and Dasvandh are not being channelized in proper direction to bring/keep Panth in Chardi Kala. The Panth’s leadership model has vanished.

Many of my Muslim friends go to Madarsaa to get their spiritual lessons. From childhood they are taught by their parents to approach Madarsaa and get queries resolved. It is not that once they attend some training course and it’s over. They visit Madarssa on regular basis and keep learning. In every city they have Madarssa hence they do not feel alienated. One of my muslim friend had got his query resolved from 5 different Madarsaa’s (2 from same city and 3 from different city) the answer were uniform across 5 Madarsaa’s. Such is their uniform and effective model. There are so many Muslim Universities ran by their trusts. If you look at their admission advertisement in 90% case you will find course like Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Quran, Islam appearing on Top and course like Engg., Computer, Civil, Bio-Medical appearing in the bottom of advertisement.

I personally feel that more than Panthic Scholars there is Lack of Panthic Schools itself. If there had been widespread Panthic Schools we would have Panthic Students and for them Panthic Scholars. This would have in itself created Scholars out of Students, batch by batch and year after year.

We need one successful model to create a Chain Reaction.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh.
May 14, 2012 11:28AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Gyan to understanding complexities of Gurbani should be sought from Gurujio Himself, as Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhjio Himself would say. Slowly and surely Gurujio will give you the required understanding. Just keep up with Naam, Gurbani Keertan, and Gurmat Maryada to your best discipline (which I am lacking much of; bathing with cold water is top of long list), but BAROSA, LOVE, AND HUMILITY is key ingredients besides Gurmat Maryada sewa, and yearning for nothing but Naam.
Understanding is all within Gurbani, and Gurujio Himself. Going to Gurdwara (which I am also guilty of due to high gas cost, low income) is another MUST too, JUST SIT AND TALK TO GURUJIO FOR ANSWERS YOU SEEKING.
Just sharing my baby-steps of the bliss of my level of understanding Gurbani.
Bhul chuk muaf.
There is no doubt that there is a serious lack of learned Panthik scholars at this time. The biggest problem is that it is very hard to find the good combination of Gurmukhi Jeevan and Gyaan in one scholar. There are many scholars with vast knowledge but they lack practical Gursikhi Jeevan that includes Amritvela Naam Abhyaas, strict adherence to Gurmat Rehit and unshakable faith in Guru Sahib. On the other hand many with Gurmukhi Jeevan either are not interested in writing new books or don't possess the required knowledge or training to write Gurmat literature.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee was a rare occurence because he not only had Gurmukhi Jeevan and vast knowledge but he had also experienced the mystical experience required to say something with conviction.

I agree with Gupt1 jee. Gursikhs from Jatha should write Gurmat literature so that the readers and seekers out there can hear the Gurmat perspective of things.

Kulbir Singh
May 14, 2012 03:29PM
Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh.

The Blame Khalsa Jeeos is sadly on us .

There has been a few scholars - but even they never went without criticism - if there is one tomorrow the kaum would rather critcise and have him put down rather than promote - this has been the case in the past and at present. For example the knowledge Maskeen Jee had on farsee - which Gursikh today has such knowledge and understanding -- mostly zilch . However the kaum has no insititution or structure which will house and extend their knowledge -- but one thing the kaum does have which is to critcise-,defame, demean make a complete mockery with narrow mindedness mainly because we want someone to actually please us our ways, our thinking - not the broader senses.

The same holds true for the parvaars of Shaeeds - how many in the kaum have adopted them only a few - the stench coming out of widows colony delhi , the issues they have are too many too much to list - but even now as the Phoolkia said in his report sure the goverment of india has failed them but so has the sikhs themselves. On a postitive overseas Sikhs are doing seva and helping as much as possible - question is what happened to the leaders of all our jathebandee crying out khalistan slogans did they not see the issues concerning all shaheed parivaars since the late 80's. I just learnt the other day that even parivars from 1978 didn't get an equal share in the daswand given by sangats wordlwide - utterly appalling.

Apologies for dhandee kala comments but if you don't think it;s the harsh truth please advise this moorakh.

On a positive note - we have youth of recent doing excellent work and SIkhe probabaly is the only religion with the most websites out there, there are punjabi/Gurmuki learning websites out there even if basic. Media wise the SikhChannel - uk has just launched in the USA , canada and austrailia are next in line -- a media first when in the late 90's sikhs couldn't even get Gurbani on radio in India. SOPW/Khlasa Aid - direcly dealing with shaheed members .

I know I deivated a bit - but we just don't have no one or any structure to fall back to nationally or internationally - for scholars Katha vachiks- keertanyes or Shaeed parivaars - we jump too quickly to the wrong conclusions.
The lack of books from jatha people seems to be an interest issue rather than the knowledge issue as the information from this website could easily be sorted and compiled in few books winking smiley
May 14, 2012 06:55PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
I would like to humbly add that no book is going to make our individual situation better but Naam, and Gurbani, to disconnected from worldly pain, and simply let go of all cares to our King, Waheguru, and just be like the lily flower example given by Gurbani; that will not float without water, LET US FLOAT WITH NAAM AND AS BHAI SAHIB BHAI RANDHIR SINGHJIO ADVISED SOMEONE, DO NOT QUESTION HOW NAAM/ GURBANI CAN BE APPLIED TO OUR SITUATION, JUST KEEP UP...GURUJIO IS ANG SANGEY ALL THE TIME, KRAN KARAN SAB EK HAI...we just have to try to keep away from jhoot, if possible, or not be polluted (BY LIVING IN PURITY OF WORDS, ACTION, AND THOUGHTS) as we live amongst jhoot, by keeping low profile, and keep talking to HIM WITHIN.
WAHEGURU NAAM JAHAAJ HAI!
May 15, 2012 06:46AM
ks ji,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

I think you are referring to bhai sahib's conversation with bhai kartar singh ji candian from the tract "amrti ki hain". The wisdom you have gained is by reading this tract. So many have gained from reading the books of bhai sahib, Talwara ji, bhai vir singh e.t.c.

Also books are important to counter false propoganda i.e. sikh's are hindus/sikhism is not a distinct religion. To counter this, bhai sahib bhai Kahan Singh nabha ji wrote the book "hum hindu nahin". This was is great book that proves that Gurmat is unique.

Of course, Gurbani is the highest literature of all, it is "bania sir bani". No book can explain the greatness of Gurbani and literature can replace gurbani. However, books can be used to increase knowledge and understanding. By reading books of bhai sahib, surely one will be inspired to do more paath and simran.

Today, I feel more needs to be written on how Gurmat is distinct from Vedant Mat. Some samprdayeek giani's interpret Gurbani using lens of Vedant. As a result, many Gursikhs believe that Gurmat is not unique. This has led to the view that Gurmat is one of many paths to the same destination, that sachkhand, heaven, nirvana are the same, that avtars/prophets of other faiths are also in Sachkhand.

However, it was bhai sahib that proved that Sachkhand is the highest destination and that Sachkhand can only be reached by adopting Guru Nanak Dev ji as a Guru.
May 15, 2012 02:09PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Gupt1ji,
I apologise, and agree, as now realise I contradict myself by saying books not needed or going to make any difference, but at the same time quoted Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhji's advise from His book. Bhai Sahibji's is a very blessed unique Gurmat gem, and if there are any others today, He/ She would probably be gupt so as not to be distracted with going online or writing books?
Bhul chuk muaf
May 15, 2012 02:41PM
correction - "No book can explain the greatness of Gurbani and literature cannot replace gurbani."

bhai Kulbir Singh ji, are any senior members of AKJ in the process of writing books? It would be great to read about the experiences of senior members of Jatha. I am thinking of Gursikhs such as bapu Harbhajan Singh ji and bhai Jeevan Singh ji. I feel that we need to record as much information as we can from senior Gursikhs while we have the chance. However it is up to the individual concerned, maybe they just want to concentrate on bhagti.

One problem is that because bhai sahib possessed so much wisdom and kamai, it would be extremely difficult to write anything close to the quality of bhai sahib's books.

AKJ have already covered many topics on Gurmat. As I have mentioned above it would be great if AKJ could write more literature to prove the distinctness of Gurmat compared to other mats i.e. Advait Mat.
Gupt1 jee makes a very good point. We need to distance ourselves as much as possible from the disease of advait vedant and adhere strictly to Gurmat philosophy.

In the times of the Singh Sabha Movement there was an amazing effort by Panch Khalsa Divaan in it's early years to bring back the strict Gurmat lifestyle. This gave way to many writers who wrote extensively on topics that revived the Niyarapan of Khalsa. Even Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha wrote "Hum Hindu Nehi" due to the influence from this great initiative.

I know a lot of Gursikhs who would love to write Gurmat literature but the main concern is funding. The same way that Muslims pay their scholars to write books for their communities, the people being paid to write books on Sikhi are all milgoba supporters. We need to work on financially supporting the writers of our Panth to write strictly Gurmat literature. The sad truth is that if anyone writes anything that is "extreme" they get ostracized and will not be able to fund their projects.

At this point in time I think that this website is the best alternative that we have. Bhai Kulbir Singh has written some articles on difference of Gurmat and advait vedant and I am sure that Bhai Bijla Singh has a lot of knowledge about this issue as well. Maybe we can try to bring some articles from here together and work towards distributing them to the wider sangat.

Preetam Singh
Preetam Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe we can try to bring some
> articles from here together and work towards
> distributing them to the wider sangat.

Compiling, categorising and preparing these articles in form of Essays, Weekly Newsletters, PDF Diary (in Chapter Wise format) etc... could be the good beginning.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login