ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Want to learn Gurmukhi. Please Help !

Posted by jaskirat 
Sangat Ji,

Daas was born & brought-up outside Punjab and Gurmukhi was not part of school curriculum.

As per my understanding reading Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is totally different than reading Punjabi Newspaper or Punjabi textbook or Punjabi Articles.

Currently my focus is to learn (Reading and Writing) Gurmukhi so that at least I can get started with fluently reading Punjabi Newspaper or Punjabi textbook or Punjabi Articles. After that I will focus on to learn how to read (abhyaas) Larivaar Swaroop. Is this approach correct ?

Please let me know the good resources available (online, download stuff or offline books as well) to get a start with it.
Daas has google some online stuff but wish that sangat should tell the Trial and Tested resources (which takes care of Punjabi grammar etc…).

Daas welcomes any other suggestions which sangat propose.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhaji, are you able to read Punjabi? It's not clear from your post..
nobody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bhaji, are you able to read Punjabi? It's not
> clear from your post..

I have started learning Punjabi by myself from Internet and at present cannot write/read fluently at full pace.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

A) Do Ardaas in front of Guru Sahib.

cool smiley Get real familiar with Gurmukhi letters and what each letter looks and sounds like. Some folks just memorize the lipi chart, some read a Punjabi learning book - whatever works for you.

C) Forget Punjabi newspapers. Yes, the ideal is Larivaar paath, but to learn, go to a Pad Chhed Gutka Sahib. Reason: You are probably already familiar with that the paath sounds like, and if not, you can play a slow recitation of the Bani in the background and read along. Guru Sahib will also bestow his blessings on you for reading Gurbani. Punjabi newspapers - not so much and filled with immense garbage that clogs your mind. Struggle through it...initially, you will spend 30 seconds per word trying to string the letters together and making sense of it. That rapidly changes and you will get faster and faster, so don't be discouraged.

D) Once you are relatively competent with doing your Nitnem from a Gutka Sahib, move on to Larivaar print Gurbani. Yes, it will be hard initially, but again, you are taking one step and Guru Sahib will take the remaining thousand steps for you. Larivaar print is made out to be this unconquerable mountain, but in the end, Guru Sahib clears all obstacles in the path of a devoted Sikh, so don't worry about it - just do it.

Santhiya is always recommended, but not always readily available in many areas of the world. After you are competent at reading Nitnem Gutka Sahib, you can also see if you can enroll yourself with a Gursikh teacher (who could also facilitate your reading Larivaar Gurbani). Otherwise, other Gursikhs who are competent at reading Pad Chhed have done paath from Larivaar Saroop/pothis with a slow recitation of the complete paath of Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and followed along (multiple times) until they were competent enough to recite along. Others have just started the paath, made mistakes, learned from them and become competent. Doing Sangat of Paathi Gursikhs and following along in pothis and discussing any questions/concerns is always great.

Obstacle: Yes, you will make mistakes when reading Gurbani - there may e times where entire Shabads and Angs may not make sense and are really hard to figure out where to do the Pad Chhed. Some folks are of the opinion that one should do immaculate paath right from the first time you do Paath (the type that get very heated that you missed a Bindi the first time you are doing paath of that Bani/Ang/etc.). How this is possible, I don't know. Even when taking Santhiya, the learner makes countless mistakes that are corrected until the recitation is perfect. One should do Ardaas for forgiveness of these mistakes and pay heed to not make them again, but they will happen. Guru Sahib is our father and mother - what mother and father would not be happy and supportive that their child is taking steps in learning to read Gurbani? So don't be disheartened - persistence is the name of the game.

The hard part is when you learn to do Paath competently, to actually make changes in your life in accordance with Gurbani...Khaneo Tikhi, Vaaleo Nikki...

Bhul Chuk Maaf
ms514 Jee thanks for the beautiful advice.

I have one question. Is Gurmukhi and Punjabi two different language. Is there any difference in these two ?
As per my understanding both are one and the same thing (the Lipi, Alphabets, Grammar etc....) isn't it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Correct Jio, Gurmukhi is the font/lipi, Punjabi is a language. I try to stay away from calling Gurbani as written Punjabi because there are a lot of languages in Gurbani (including Punjabi).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login